Any coin collectors here?

philoshop

Just wondering.

My late grandmother got me hooked in the mid-1960's. She'd go to the bank with a ten or twenty dollar bill and come back with a small sack of change. We'd pore over every coin for hours looking for the silver dimes, quarters and halves. Doesn't happen any more .I haven't found a valuable or precious coin in change in probably twenty years. I still maintain my collection, but most people today just use their bank accounts to buy what they want. I miss the "hunting" aspect of it. Sort of an analogy, I guess.

When u leave the supermarket check the change return on coin star machines...ive foind silver and even a gold coin...mostly find foreign coins

Ive had the best success on sat or sunday mornings..i think the drunks/drug addicts are in too much of a rush to take the coins tnat dont go thru

• Like 2

I dug this one back in the spring. 1835 Large Cent. My oldest coin so far. I have dug many Indian Head pennies from the 1880's-1890's and one Barber Quarter from 1898. Not valuable, but historical provenance means more to me than monetary value anyways.20180406_190617(1).jpeg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, PREDATE said:

I dug this one back in the spring. 1835 Large Cent. My oldest coin so far. I have dug many Indian Head pennies from the 1880's-1890's and one Barber Quarter from 1898. Not valuable, but historical provenance means more to me than monetary value anyways.20180406_190617(1).jpeg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Whatever you do, don't try to clean it. That's not something you do at home. That's a nice looking coin. I see a lot of crisp detail under the dirt. Great find!! The hair is almost perfect, the collar, the stars...

What I mean is that it was likely dropped shortly after it was issued, not years later. That's meaningful. Keep it safe and please don't try to clean it.

• Like 2

Is there a TRUSTED dealer in the NYC area? If not known, how can one find a trusted coon buyer? How would one handle a coin collection left to them from a deceased family who collected?

I have a small box full of coins and currency that has moved with me since 1992 and I have bonuses what to do with it....hopefully I’m sitting on my down payment for 150 acres (I’ll settle on 50!!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk