Rensselaerville Recent Pics

sherlockgael

I too have noticed a few more bucks this year in our part of the Helderbergs, Berne and Knox. Nothing BIG yet on cam's, to this point though. Though the average antler size here for a three year old, is much smaller than say WNY, for the same age buck. Poorer soil conditions with the hard rocky ground, is most likely the reason. But given some age, we do get some pretty nice ones here and there! So true on how tough the hunting can be up here. But that can be said of most places. Not too many "easy" places to hunt deer. Especially mature bucks. Been roaming these hills since I was a boy, and I wouldn't trade it for anywhere.

Temps in the hills above Albany usually average 7 to 10 degrees cooler than in the Hudson Valley.  Predominate hunting wind up here is mostly NW. But with all the ridges, gullies, benches, and flats, even with a strong NW wind, the wind where you are set up could be SE!!  Plenty of changing thermals too. Just part of what makes hunting here a challenge and fun! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grampy said:

I too have noticed a few more bucks this year in our part of the Helderbergs, Berne and Knox. Nothing BIG yet on cam's, to this point though. Though the average antler size here for a three year old, is much smaller than say WNY, for the same age buck. Poorer soil conditions with the hard rocky ground, is most likely the reason. But given some age, we do get some pretty nice ones here and there! So true on how tough the hunting can be up here. But that can be said of most places. Not too many "easy" places to hunt deer. Especially mature bucks. Been roaming these hills since I was a boy, and I wouldn't trade it for anywhere.

Temps in the hills above Albany usually average 7 to 10 degrees cooler than in the Hudson Valley.  Predominate hunting wind up here is mostly NW. But with all the ridges, gullies, benches, and flats, even with a strong NW wind, the wind where you are set up could be SE!!  Plenty of changing thermals too. Just part of what makes hunting here a challenge and fun! 

You are so right about those swirling winds. I am trying to figure that out on the property i hunt,and it has all those features. It is not easy,and i dont feel good when the wind comes from behind me for a minute and then is in my face for 2. A little luck might help.

I have one place I hunt in 4B, start out at the bottom wind might be the most common SW, at the top, it sometimes changes by the second making 'playing the wind' almost impossible. So I even decided to use scent killer this season.
Winds in any mountainous area can and most often are very tricky.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

You are so right about those swirling winds. I am trying to figure that out on the property i hunt,and it has all those features. It is not easy,and i dont feel good when the wind comes from behind me for a minute and then is in my face for 2. A little luck might help.

Knowing the Iand helps. As each set up has it's own thermals, and drafts. Even with a steady wind! After awhile you learn what works where, and when, and what won't. You learn to be adaptable to changing wind conditions. If the wind changes, especially in a good spot, ya gotta move! Multiple setups for a good spot helps. Some setups can only be used under the right conditions. And even then, things can and do change quickly. It's all part of hunting. And anyone who hunts the hills and ridges, knows the extra challenges it takes to be successful. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 7:07 PM, grampy said:

Knowing the Iand helps. As each set up has it's own thermals, and drafts. Even with a steady wind! After awhile you learn what works where, and when, and what won't. You learn to be adaptable to changing wind conditions. If the wind changes, especially in a good spot, ya gotta move! Multiple setups for a good spot helps. Some setups can only be used under the right conditions. And even then, things can and do change quickly. It's all part of hunting. And anyone who hunts the hills and ridges, knows the extra challenges it takes to be successful. 

So true.  I got this one stand, Lee side of a ridge with a pine forest up top, when you get a 20 mile per hour + wind, it swirls over those pines then cuts down and swirls your scent right up in the air.

We're right on the border to 4G, but still in 4h just outside rensellearville. 

• Like 1

Nah I got landowners every year for 4h.  I've had to track them on the run across to 4G once or twice though!  

This cold snap we're getting, anybody see any pickup in movement yet?  According to the lunar rut folks, Chase should be starting next week on the 24th with the full moon.  It looks like it's cold enough too?

• Like 1

Slight uptick in deer movement over the weekend. I haven't seen too much, but my hunting partner saw nine deer yesterday. On the same property. But I'm not hunting my best spots yet.  More just feeling out some new set-ups.

With these cooler temps, each week up to November 10th, should get better. 

8 minutes ago, grampy said:

Slight uptick in deer movement over the weekend. I haven't seen too much, but my hunting partner saw nine deer yesterday. On the same property. But I'm not hunting my best spots yet.  More just feeling out some new set-ups.

With these cooler temps, each week up to November 10th, should get better. 

Here's to hoping you and Zack get some arrows bloody!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Same thing happening over by me Grampy. Movement is a bit slow lately but the weather looks to steadily be getting better towards the end of the month. I took vacation 10/29-11/2 and then 11/12-11/16. Hoping I’ll catch good rut movement one of those weeks.

That should be perfect timing for some good rut activity in our areas of 4H!

I've been keeping a detailed hunting log since 1984. The one day that keeps coming up as "the best day" on our properties is Nov. 10th. This day, or even a day or so before and after the 10th. is what I call the Magic Day. It's that day where you will see mature bucks standing in an open field, or along a road. Doe running everywhere, with bucks dogging them. Multiple bucks chasing a single doe. Grunting, snort wheezing, buck fights, and all the classic rut activities we deer hunters look forward to! Of course warm weather moves the activities more to night time, but on average the 10th is the day. Three days on either side of it is usually very good too.

1 hour ago, Rob... said:

Here's to hoping you and Zack get some arrows bloody!

Thanks! Next weekend will be the last of his baseball games. After this week only two more football games Ieft. 

So really hoping to get him out more as the rut heats up! We were talking about days to get out, this afternoon, when he stopped by my office after class today. When he can get out there, all my focus is on him!  My hunting is always secondary to his. Hopefully this will be his year. He was so close during youth weekend.

Best of luck to both of you guys! 

Edited by grampy

Thanks! Next weekend will be the last of his baseball games. After this week only two more football games Ieft. 
So really hoping to get him out more as the rut heats up! We were talking about days to get out, this afternoon, when he stopped by my office after class today. When he can get out there, all my focus is on him!  My hunting is always secondary to his. Hopefully this will be his year. He was so close during youth weekend.
Best of luck to both of you guys! 

Good to know about the 10th being the hot day for our area! Since I only moved into our house 4 years ago I don’t have the impressive log of years past like you but I did notice the last 2 years of trail cam pics show high activity from the 8th-15th. Last year I had a little spurt of activity right around halloween which is what lead me to break up my 2 weeks off. I should start keeping better track of how many buck pictures I get for each day during the rut and see if I can start to narrow it down to one lucky day. Good luck to your and your grandson this season, hope you both tag out on some bruisers!
  • Like 2