Near miss truck transmission problem.

Nytracker

At 4 am meeting family. For a day of deer drives. Getting on the highway at 65 mph my truck decides to shift from 5th to 1st gear . Rear end locked   up  skid from lane to lane. Truck started rocking as I tried to keep from hitting  or being hit by 2 tractor trailers.coming from behind.  Drove off into median.. checked my drawers proceeded  to drive back up on highway and limp to next exit. Happened 3 more times  but I was going 30 mph.  No hunting for me . 

So here I sit at the ford garage waiting for somebody to make a decision  what to do... nothing until Monday. Might be able to get a loaner as it's not under warranty. 

If any of you that have a 2006 too 2016 ford f 150 ist a speed sencer issue. Looked on line and it's a problem  but only recalled in 2011 and 2012 models f 150 and like SUV.  

It's very dangerous  and can and will happen with no warning . I had no problems before this morning.

Please don't make this a ford bashing thread... I have had more than my share of problems with Chevy and dodge .

This is just a  sincere safety warning.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I have 75000miles on my truck.

When my truck acted up the gear indicator dropped  to  1  and  mph went to zero as well as rpms. After a few seconds I guess , the rpms and mph came back and transmission jumped  back to 3 rd. Not real sure I was a little busy the first time  it happened.

Honestly felt like I had slammed it in park . Tires squealing  .. or was that me screaming:notme:

Edited by Nytracker

Ya, that's a pucker moment for sure. 

I had a new, GMC 3500(2011) with 3k miles. The rear end failed taking out 1st and 3rd gear in the tranny.  I was doing 50 mph with a load of mulch when everything decided to let loose.  About rolled the rig when she locked up.  

I’ve heard about this before. I think there were/are lawsuits going on over it. Glad you made it out alright. I bet it was a pucker moment for sure!

I’ve got 162k on my 2011 F150 now. *knocks on wood* no transmission issues as of yet. It shifts a little stiff from 2nd to 3rd when cold but it’s done that since new.

30 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Bring back manual transmissions and be done with it , i can't stand all these new companies using 10 speed transmissions or what ever wet dream they come up with . My next truck will be old enough that a manual transmission was an option. 

My new Toyota is a manual....so no need to shop old.

And my 2014 Focus is a manual, sat on a lot forever as no one can drive them; cut a substantial discount when I bough it.

I don't text, so driving is easy as I can stir a gear box instead of a phone. LOL

9 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

My new Toyota is a manual....so no need to shop old.

And my 2014 Focus is a manual, sat on a lot forever as no one can drive them; cut a substantial discount when I bough it.

I don't text, so driving is easy as I can stir a gear box instead of a phone. LOL

We own 3 cars ,2 of them are manuals ,my wife would have 100 percent got a manual transmission in her explorer if they offered it. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 8:45 AM, Nytracker said:

At 4 am meeting family. For a day of deer drives. Getting on the highway at 65 mph my truck decides to shift from 5th to 1st gear . Rear end locked   up  skid from lane to lane. Truck started rocking as I tried to keep from hitting  or being hit by 2 tractor trailers.coming from behind.  Drove off into median.. checked my drawers proceeded  to drive back up on highway and limp to next exit. Happened 3 more times  but I was going 30 mph.  No hunting for me . 

So here I sit at the ford garage waiting for somebody to make a decision  what to do... nothing until Monday. Might be able to get a loaner as it's not under warranty. 

If any of you that have a 2006 too 2016 ford f 150 ist a speed sencer issue. Looked on line and it's a problem  but only recalled in 2011 and 2012 models f 150 and like SUV.  

It's very dangerous  and can and will happen with no warning . I had no problems before this morning.

Please don't make this a ford bashing thread... I have had more than my share of problems with Chevy and dodge .

This is just a  sincere safety warning.

Had something similar happen with my '06  Dodge Ram while driving on the NJ Turnpike. It was about 2 years old at the time. I pulled out to pass and when it hit 75mph downshifted to either first or second gear. It was like slamming on the brakes. Front of the truck nose dived, tires chirped. I just about crapped my pants. I pulled back into right lane let off gas and transmission shifted back up. Pulled into next rest area and shut off truck. Started back up and everything seemed to reset. Kept it under 70 the rest of way home and it was fine - until I got home. Go to take it to the dealer Monday morning. Shift into drive and it bogs down from the start like the transmission is stuck in 4th or 5th gear. Get it to the dealer and was told it was a bad solenoid in the transmission. They fixed it and  haven't had any issues since. Still have the truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so the update.  Truck at Ford garage for a week  sitting in the parking lot. Had monster safety recalls they were working on .. had the loaner  np.

Finally ran diagnostic  no codes. They called Ford. No code no fix.  Tech  and service manager agreed with me lead frame bad in transmission. Multiple test drives  over 3 days they can't make it code.

Call Ford engineers  no reply for 2 days.  Service manager  orders replacement.  He says "better to ask forgiveness  than beg for permission ".   2 hour job .

Picked  it  up  last  night. Hopefully  problem is fixed. They had my truck 13 days which is better than the 3 weeks they originally  quoted. 

Edited by Nytracker

Nope not one off . Truck runs better.than it has in a year. Transmission  shifts so smooth you don't even notice unless your watching. Put about 200 miles  on it since I got it back Friday night. Lead frame  is chronic and widespread over multiple years. Happening most after 75 k. Some just go all  at once and some take months of minor problems before they  throw a code or worse. The tech that worked on mine said he is changing 1 or 2 a week  and sometimes as much as 10 a month. No rhyme  or reason. They had a 13 come in while mine was on the lift same problem . That guy has to wait for parts . I got the last one in stock.

• 1 month later...