Recommended Posts

Looking for some lightweight packable rain gear (top and bottom) that I can put on over my Sitka stratus jacket and bibs should the need arise. Not looking for any warmth from them just something to shed the rain. The stratus set has wind-stopper but is not gore-tex. Any suggestions?


NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stein13 said:

Frog togs

Junk


Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Junk

Not exactly durable, and has never fit in with any activity I have done.

 

I have a First Light coat (stormtight?);I like as it has a long cut and good for sitting amd I like the pit zips. Also have some Kyrptek pants I like for fit.

For backpacking/fishing tough to beat Patagonia pants and jacket for weight/durability/pack-ability, and price.

Have some Cabelas MT050 that is about as quiet as I have found with a softer surface finish thats my back up set. Bit warm for walking, and not cheap unless on sale.

 


Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Not exactly durable, and has never fit in with any activity I have done.

 

I have a First Light coat (stormtight?);I like as it has a long cut and good for sitting amd I like the pit zips. Also have some Kyrptek pants I like for fit.

For backpacking/fishing tough to beat Patagonia pants and jacket for weight/durability/pack-ability, and price.

Have some Cabelas MT050 that is about as quiet as I have found with a softer surface finish thats my back up set. Bit warm for walking, and not cheap unless on sale.

 

Much better put than what I added.......thank you for your civility. :)

I have a Cabela's coat as a daily wear rain coat (Goretex) that has pretty low miles but has always done what it should.  The Helly Hansen Impertech olive green jacket and pants has worked out goof for me in the past.


Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gander mountain guide series works well but is warm and pants are too big for me.  I haven’t worn the Sitka downpour yet but Phade was out in a lot last bow season and loved it.  Neither are particularly well suited for packing in light.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I clicked this to say stay away from Frog Togs unless
You’re fishing


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at some Frog Togs and they appeared to be noisy so I didn't buy .



97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Much better put than what I added.......thank you for your civility. :)

I have a Cabela's coat as a daily wear rain coat (Goretex) that has pretty low miles but has always done what it should.  The Helly Hansen Impertech olive green jacket and pants has worked out goof for me in the past.

Glad they worked out "goof" for you . :taunt: :rolleyes:

  • Haha 1


97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got lucky and picked up the Cabelas MTO 50 on sale last year. Used it quite last deer season, and at some rainy football games. I was quite impressed. I think the regular  price is close to $400, though.

Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the suggestions. picked up a cabela's goretex packable rain suit on ebay for $95 (new with tags) in size large (hoping it will fit over my Sitka medium stratus set). Looked at USMC goretex lightweight suits but couldn't find the pant size I needed. Looks like you can get some good deals on the USMC goretex pants and jackets but found many are kind of old (even new ones) and was not sure how good the goretex would be after all this time.

thanks again


NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This past fall i purchased a rain jacket from Kuiu, I went on a Moose hunt in Newfoundland and needed something that i could pack with little weight. It was the best investment i ever made, that jacket kept me dry every day and was super light to carry. One of the best investments i have made in hunting gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tarheelsaint said:

This past fall i purchased a rain jacket from Kuiu, I went on a Moose hunt in Newfoundland and needed something that i could pack with little weight. It was the best investment i ever made, that jacket kept me dry every day and was super light to carry. One of the best investments i have made in hunting gear.

More importantly, how did you do?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tarheelsaint said:

This past fall i purchased a rain jacket from Kuiu, I went on a Moose hunt in Newfoundland and needed something that i could pack with little weight. It was the best investment i ever made, that jacket kept me dry every day and was super light to carry. One of the best investments i have made in hunting gear.

I looked at the kuiu. sitka, mt050, huk, and browning offerings but didn't want to spend the beans on expensive rain gear for hunting my own property (I don't do excursions anymore) since if it gets bad enough, I can just walk back to the house. I did want to get goretex as I have had great luck with that stuff in my hunting outfits, golf/fishing goretex outfits. The cabela's was goretex and cheap enough for my purpose. If I was going to hunt away from the house or had to travel a bit to go hunting, I surely would have sprung for the higher end gear. BTW - did you bag a moose?


NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt want to hijack but yeah i was successful on my last day..was an awesome hunt and a trip i will never forget! That Kuiu stuff is not cheap but i was glad i made that call as it rained hard at some point every day!

20181004_103931.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely liked my Sitka rain gear as Moog noted. It was worth the entry price. I can see myself wearing it for a long time.

The kuiu rain gear is often very well spoken of.

Gander's house brand was probably the best value I've experienced. My prior set lasted 10 years before the shoulder/back seams gave out during a rain-filled day.


www.pursuitoutdoors.com or pursuitoutdoorstrailcameras on Facebook
Trail Camera Sales, Reviews, and Troubleshooting - PM for HNY pricing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.