Mock Scrapes

WNYBuckHunter

Ive been reading up on making mock scrapes and ran across an article in the NYODN suggesting that it is a good idea to start creating a mock scrape line now. I was out shopping this morning and picked up some of that Grave Digger scrape starter along with the rechargable battery packs for my trail cams. Im going to do some experimenting on the farm and put a scrape line of 5 or 6 scrapes in with my trail cam on the middle one to see if they get any action. If they do, I know where Ill be setting a stand next month.  :(

I've been thinking of putting a cam over a licking branch.  "They" (D&DH) say adding some really increases traffic.  I think most overhanging branches over the field edges they are feeding in get worked, but the scent might help.

just realized I totally messed up that post when I edited it.  I meant to say "they" say adding some PREORBITAL SCENT really helps bring them into the licking branch.  anyone know where to get some?  Do they sell it at Dicks, gander, wallyworld?

I had a customer for years that would have out several that he used a dripper on and also had cam on them to see what bucks were using the scrapes. He said key was using rubber gloves to handle the dripper and also when you use a small rake to start the scrape. He also said the must activity was on the edges to pastures or old logging roads. But again that is also the normal travel routes. They use to sell scrape juice that came in a 6 0z package that you would mix with a full gal of water to make buck pee. That what he used...

I leave my male goat in with the females year around....I gather fresh droppings and soak in a bucket of water...I also trim beards and soak those in water as well...pour dropping water in an area I scratch up with a hoe and put the beard water in a spray bottle and spray branches that over hang...seems to bring in both buck and doe to a scrape area

I've had action at every mock scrape I've made using the dripper. I only do one scrape per area though. Are multiple scrapes recommended?

Thats what I was reading, that bucks, especially mature ones will be more likely to check a mock scrape line rather than just a random single mock scrape. Supposedly, if you start them now, it will cath the deer's attention more than if they already have their own scrape line established.

• 2 weeks later...

Mock scrapes are pretty conversational as experiences differ greatly.

I've found huge success by bypassing commerical products and hitting up the local park where hunting is not allowed...I know where a few giant community/primary scrapes are from summer walks with the family. I'm talking 6 scrapes within a 50 x 50 ft area...that get the size of a car hood. As soon as they fire up, I'll scoop (using a cheap metal spade for this purpose only) one spade of the scrape dirt and cut one small branch of the licking branches (these ones usually have a half dozen each). I've always wanted to put a cam up there...but I'm sure it'd be gone fast.

I then take them to my hunting area and set them up on an interior trail (non-field edge) and make a mock scrape that way. Zip tie the licking branch to the overhanging branch of your mock scrape, and add the dirt after clearing with gloves, etc. Talk about fire in the hole...

I've also had some success by simply peeing in a mock scrape (no other work done to it)...about 50 percent success....peeing in an existing scrape...works great. 

I doubt there's any legal concern from snapping a twig (a few inches worth) in the park since it's probably no different than a biker/hiker breaking a limb that overhangs a trail.

I don't generally hunt over scrapes so I use them to just increase activity and hope to spur daytime movements as the phases start to kick in that last week in October. If I am hunting a scrape in particular, I'm downwind of it 50 yards or so...mature bucks will most times scent check it downwind. I may set a cam on one of the mock scrapes this year just for fun.

If I come across a scrape that suddenly appears late in October, I'll swap dirt from another scrape on another property. It really works well.

WNYB...I think you are near Mendon Ponds Park? If so, that might be doable for you to grab some dirt/licking branches from there...much cheaper and much more effective imo.

I put 5 scrapes in along a field edge last weekend when I put out my cam. The cam is on the end scrape at the head of a very worn deer trail. I am trying to figure out the best trails to hunt in this particular area, so I will be moving it in another week or so. Hopefully the scrapes got a little action.

phade, thanks for the tip, Ill have to do that once the scraping starts.

I arrowed a small buck a couple years ago by using a zip-tied licking branch. Here is a vid I made of it. The music is a bit loud, so use your volume control.

He came in sideways, with his ears back, ready to fight. (I had augmented it with a tarsal.)

Also, here is a link to an outdoor column....on the Zip-tied licking branch I wrote a couple years ago.

I find the real deal much more effective than store bought mock scrapes.

http://www.galesburg.com/sports/recreation/x1689190121/Oak-Duke-Seal-the-deal-with-a-zip-tied-overhanging-branch

I have hunted over scrapes for years.  I usually put two/three at varied distances around my stands.  I have used dominant buck lure in the beginning of the season and switch to doe in heat as it gets close to november. 

I have found that making large scrapes increases the chances of bucks checking them out...especially during the rut.  I don't think they bring bucks to your stand...but it will make a buck that is trolling in the area come over to investigate and present you with a good shot opportunity.

Has anyone ever tallied up the cost of a mock scrape? The ones that I have seen on TV usually feature some expensive drip dispenser that dumps that expensive liquid gold on the ground. And of course the final cost would depend on how long you have it out. My impression has been that it is not a real cheap process, but I don't know. Never tried it.

Last year I experimented with using a commercial scrape product and just peeing in a scrape. I made two scrapes about 50 yds apart. I Sprayed one with the commercial one and in the other I had my 10 yo son pee in it. I Set up two cameras. When I checked the cameras i couldn't believe it but most of the bucks visited the one with my son's pee. Guess where I placed my stand?  :)

With the pack of the scented soil I bought, I was able to make 5 or 6 scrapes, and I still have enough to freshen them up once. It wasnt that much, maybe 10 or 15 bucks.

That's not really all that bad. So you use scented soil and not the drippers?