Tailgating

philoshop

36 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

Interesting thread. Something happened today that made me think a lot of people who are tailgated OFTEN are most likely causing it themselves.

Today on my way in to the office, some jack wagon decided HIS speed is the speed everyone will go during morning rush hour. I followed "that guy" up 190 for miles, along with countless other cars piled up behind me as far as I could see. He's in the left lane going 5 MPH faster than the right lane, his speed never changed. Clearly he had his CC set at 59mph. F'ing up the morning for thousands of commuters. I was 2nd car back and could see him clearly, but stayed my distance I was in no hurry. The guy in front of me and most behind me were clearly not happy though,  I thought the guy in front of me was going to literally push this guy off the road. Even when openings were available in the right lane, he would not move over. Finally the line of traffic was able to go around him on the right. As we all filed by he was flipping people off like everyone else was the problem.  I was in no hurry so I was not really bothered by it all, and actually thought it was comical that HE was pissed off, but it made me think of this thread and WHY people tailgate sometimes. If you're that guy who goes basically the same speed as the car to the right of you, and see lots of flashing headlights lights in your rear view... well, then you might be a jackass. 

In order to Really be a SAFE Driver.... that guy should just move over... even if he IS doing 5 mph over.... let people go!  The cops will do their job on those guys... It is not our job to enforce the speed limit... which we all know are too low in most cases anyway.

55 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

Interesting thread. Something happened today that made me think a lot of people who are tailgated OFTEN are most likely causing it themselves.

Today on my way in to the office, some jack wagon decided HIS speed is the speed everyone will go during morning rush hour. I followed "that guy" up 190 for miles, along with countless other cars piled up behind me as far as I could see. He's in the left lane going 5 MPH faster than the right lane, his speed never changed. Clearly he had his CC set at 59mph. F'ing up the morning for thousands of commuters. I was 2nd car back and could see him clearly, but stayed my distance I was in no hurry. The guy in front of me and most behind me were clearly not happy though,  I thought the guy in front of me was going to literally push this guy off the road. Even when openings were available in the right lane, he would not move over. Finally the line of traffic was able to go around him on the right. As we all filed by he was flipping people off like everyone else was the problem.  I was in no hurry so I was not really bothered by it all, and actually thought it was comical that HE was pissed off, but it made me think of this thread and WHY people tailgate sometimes. If you're that guy who goes basically the same speed as the car to the right of you, and see lots of flashing headlights lights in your rear view... well, then you might be a jackass. 

I can't stand that....That is one of my biggest gripes on the road. I would have been seeing red by the time I had to pass him in the right lane. To me its just ignorance and being a jackass......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FatBoyD said:

I doubt that guy was ignorant, my guess is that he did it on purpose. And thought he was justified because he was going 5 mph over. The lanes are not called slow lane and fast lane, they're called driving lane and passing lane. You're supposed to complete your pass and move back over if being overtaken by following traffic.

So pretty much if they are in the passing lane and not passing, they're doing it wrong.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I doubt that guy was ignorant, my guess is that he did it on purpose. And thought he was justified because he was going 5 mph over. The lanes are not called slow lane and fast lane, they're called driving lane and passing lane. You're supposed to complete your pass and move back over if being overtaken by following traffic.

So pretty much if they are in the passing lane and not passing, they're doing it wrong.

You are 100% right. It is intentional for sure.

And why are they always driving a Subaru?

• Like 1

I drove my mini-van work truck to Lexington Kentucky towing a Wells Cargo work trailer in 2007. You forget that it's even back there because the thing tows like an absolute dream and it honestly scared me every time I looked in the rearview mirror. I had several WTF moments during that trip. Especially around Cincinnati.

Shortly after that trip to Kentucky I was carrying three race Karts stacked up in that same van back from a local event and had some pickup dude actually bump me from behind at 55 MPH. Again it was a rural road. He was being cute and actually tapped my bumper before he passed me. I was exhausted from a day of racing and thought that the speed limit was a good thing for me.  Those Karts run on alcohol, BTW, pretty explosive stuff. And the top kart  behind me was going to take my head off if I had to stop quickly.

Just don't be stupid while driving. You don't know what the person in front of you is carrying. If it's safe to pass, then pass. If I can pull over and let you pass I'll do so, but your life and your sense of urgency is not more important or more valuable than mine.

1 hour ago, ny hunter said:

I said it before some people just suck...

My interest is in why they feel compelled to "suck". What motivates people to be so selfish and inconsiderate? Children are expected to be selfish and inconsiderate. It's basically their job when they're toddlers. Why do some people never outgrow that mentality?

• Thanks 1

I think that a big problem now days, is that the smart phone has put a real hurting on the patience of most people.   They are getting too comfortable with always getting what they want, when they want it.    I still use a flip phone and never even text, so my patience is ok and tailgating don't bother me much.   I usually set my cruise 9 mph over the posted speed on the big highways, and try and stay in the right lane if it is clear.  I do run the passing lane sometimes, if the right lane is too rough.  In that situation, I will always move over if someone comes up behind me.  Otherwise,  when folks tailgate me, I just ignore them, and adjust my mirror to eliminate the headlight glare when it is dark.    I always pay attention to what is ahead, and only behind if there is lights and sirens.   I have to assume that most tailgaiters are very stressed out.  Fortunately, I learned the answer to that issue a long time ago, and the name is Jesus.   

• Like 1