Looks like the pigs are here to stay

erussell

So what is this "pseudorabies" that they are talking about in the NY versions of feral hogs? I hope that doesn't cause pseudo attacks ..... lol. That's all we need is to be heading out to a stand armed just with a bow and have one of those 300-400 pound tuskers drooling and frothing and heading for us. Man, you could make a heck of a movie out of that thought.... :) .

I noticed that they talked about "three cases of feral swine aggression toward humans in New York, two against hunters and one involving someone working with domestic pigs". Now isn't that a pleasant thought.

if anyone happens to see on in the woods during hunting season would you shoot it? and could you eat it with the possible chance of that disease?

I don't think I have much of a chance to see one in Delaware county, not yet anyway, but I surely WOULD shoot it.  I think the possibility of it carrying the disease is very small.  Hunters kill lots of them down south and I have never heard of anyone getting sick after eating them.  I am sure some pigs must have similar viruses down there also.  I know these critters can be very destructive, but it sure wouldn't be a bad thing to have another very edible critter to hunt around here.  Bears sure as hell are not appetizing to me, I don't care what anyone says about how good the meat is. 

On the serious side, these things are a cause for concern but the positive side of it is having more edible game in the woods.  I would gladly take one down on sight knowing that I am helping the ecology, the farmers, and my belly.

if anyone happens to see on in the woods during hunting season would you shoot it? and could you eat it with the possible chance of that disease?

I don't think I have much of a chance to see one in Delaware county, not yet anyway, but I surely WOULD shoot it.  I think the possibility of it carrying the disease is very small.  Hunters kill lots of them down south and I have never heard of anyone getting sick after eating them.  I am sure some pigs must have similar viruses down there also.  I know these critters can be very destructive, but it sure wouldn't be a bad thing to have another very edible critter to hunt around here.  Bears sure as hell are not appetizing to me, I don't care what anyone says about how good the meat is.

Steve a friend of mind has a camp off  rt.97 near long eddy off Houlahan Brook rd. And two years ago he saw one and didn't know what to think. So at dinner that nite he never mentioned it, till someone else in the group said they say a wild pig from his tree stand no one shot it. Where he is that's Delaware county, southern part of the county.

Dave

Steve a friend of mind has a camp off  rt.97 near long eddy off Houlahan Brook rd. And two years ago he saw one and didn't know what to think. So at dinner that nite he never mentioned it, till someone else in the group said they say a wild pig from his tree stand no one shot it. Where he is that's Delaware county, southern part of the county.

Dave

That's good to know.  I am in the northern part of the county, but if I do get to see one  he just may have to give up his hams, chops, etc..

So what is this "pseudorabies" that they are talking about in the NY versions of feral hogs? I hope that doesn't cause pseudo attacks ..... lol. That's all we need is to be heading out to a stand armed just with a bow and have one of those 300-400 pound tuskers drooling and frothing and heading for us. Man, you could make a heck of a movie out of that thought.... :D .

I noticed that they talked about "three cases of feral swine aggression toward humans in New York, two against hunters and one involving someone working with domestic pigs". Now isn't that a pleasant thought.

I was hunting in Alabama back about 10 yrs ago and was hunting with my bosses family for 1st day of rifle season. I was about 300 yrds from one of the family members along the edge of a swamp in a stand. It was about lunch time and time for the traditional family lunch spread. So I got out of my stand and heard a shot from the closest family member. I radiod him and he said he had just shot a huge pig. So I wondered over to give him a hand. He was in a section of the swamp that was thick with pallmetos and had just stepped off the last rung of his ladder stand and something came running right up to him through the brush. Well it scared the living crap out of him so he pointed his 06 at it and it stopped about 2 feet from the end of his barrell. It was a huge hog which he promptly popped in the top of the head. He nearly wet his pants he was still shaking when I got there.  :)

Ive shot several pigs in the 150 to 300 lbs range from lousiana to Alabama the Sows are worth the effort but if you shoot a Boar let it lay for coyote bait. It taste's like hell.

My hunting camp is in cortland county.  Never seen one or havent heard a farmer in the area of my camp say they have either.  I have been told many times not to even consider eating the boars.  Shoot it and then sit over it for coyotes and get them too.  Oh wait would that be baiting?  Stick the sow on a bbq pit.

My hunting camp is in cortland county.  Never seen one or havent heard a farmer in the area of my camp say they have either.  I have been told many times not to even consider eating the boars.  Shoot it and then sit over it for coyotes and get them too.  Oh wait would that be baiting?  Stick the sow on a bbq pit.

I'm pretty sure its legal to bait Coyotes in NY.

I'm pretty sure its legal to bait Coyotes in NY.

100% legal

• 2 weeks later...

Deleware county, I hear is full of them especially on the PA border.  I guess porky can swim!!!!  The boar I shot tasted good, then again there was plenty of BBQ sauce on him.  They can get big and nasty.  This guy was just under 300 on the hoof.

Where did you shoot that beast? What county? A friend of mine saw one in Long Eddy a few years back, thought he was seeing things.

Dave