Dehydrator Recommendation

BKhunter

I bought a Nesco FD-75A for making jerky.  I've made 5-6 batches so far and its worked great.  Very simple and easy to use (just plug in and adjust temp).  Cleaning isn't too bad either.   I was afraid it would be too small, but the size is great.  Made by a company in Wisconsin, although I think the fan motors come from overseas.  It was just under $60 on Amazon, very happy with the purchase. 

I have used moog's method with the oven door kept cracked open, my father bought a giant one from William Sonoma and I got a cheap small one from Cabela's. Jerky tasted the same out of all of them. The only advantage I saw was if you are making a HUGE batch (probably both hindquarters) the size of the giant one made it easier. Other than that, I'd go cheap or oven.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I just bought a dehydrator ,I've done the oven method before. I bought an excaliber off Amazon, I like it better then the oven for a number of reasons ,it doesn't smell up the house , the plastic racks allow for much larger batches then the oven in a smaller area. I turn mine on 165 and come back 4 hours later to finished jerky ,it heats very evenly.

• Like 1

Got this one for Father's Day last year. I can't say enough good things about it. Only down side is it is BIG and pretty heavy. 12 racks. Held 15# of venison on 11 racks. There was NO need to rotate the racks becasue of the even heat and air flow. Well worth the money in my book. 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-L-COMMERCIAL-FOOD-DEHYDRATOR/2339805.uts

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Got this one for Father's Day last year. I can't say enough good things about it. Only down side is it is BIG and pretty heavy. 12 racks. Held 15# of venison on 11 racks. There was NO need to rotate the racks becasue of the even heat and air flow. Well worth the money in my book. 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-L-COMMERCIAL-FOOD-DEHYDRATOR/2339805.uts

Damn Culver... that things a beast.  Some of the smaller folks on this forum could use it as a sauna/tanning bed.

image.png.50a1da801b6d96942c7a8730a093ed3f.png

Just now, johnplav said:

Damn Culver... that things a beast.  Some of the smaller folks on this forum could use it as a sauna/tanning bed.

image.png.50a1da801b6d96942c7a8730a093ed3f.png

Does a great job. I see folks on the reviews complaining about uneven drying and taking too long to heat up.  I'll tell ya what I found. It heats up just fine and you can't expect it to pop up to 160 degrees with 15# of cold meat in it. It will get there and does a great job. I also found that if you don't follow their suggested spacing in between pieces you will get hot spots. You are basically stopping the air flow.  3 batches through it and batch 2 and 3 went perfectly once I gave in and admitted the instructions could just possibly be smarter than I am..lol

• Like 1

Does a great job. I see folks on the reviews complaining about uneven drying and taking too long to heat up.  I'll tell ya what I found. It heats up just fine and you can't expect it to pop up to 160 degrees with 15# of cold meat in it. It will get there and does a great job. I also found that if you don't follow their suggested spacing in between pieces you will get hot spots. You are basically stopping the air flow.  3 batches through it and batch 2 and 3 went perfectly once I gave in and admitted the instructions could just possibly be smarter than I am..lol
Yours is above mine. Still that's my problem most likely if I think about it. I fill all the trays right full. I have much less trays but the concept is the same need real good air flow or the spots closest to the heat get hotter and dry more than the rest. I tossed the directions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Now that’s a dehydrator.   

15 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have the same one. I'll give it 5 stars. They also make a 160 liter.

Edited by bigpaul
adding