Will the 2019 Season Timing Be Right?

Five Seasons

Your correct.  The tom gobbles on roost to call the Hens to him. Were trying to reverse mother nature's intention.  
So many times you here stories when the tom hits the ground, he shuts up, or heads the other way.  It's because the ladies showed up and are dragging him away from the annoying hen(us).  This is where the tactic of mimicking the boss hen to piss her off comes into play.  Your try to get her mad, and hopefully come up and show you who's in charge, dragging tommy behind her. 

My theory on hearing gobbling on the roost is that weather has nothing to do with it. If that Gobbler is roosted with his hens he may gobble a time or two but not much more. If he’s roosted without hens he gobbles continuously to get them to come to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All this talk about timing of the best turkey hunting has gotten me wondering exactly what drive the breeding activity of turkeys. I don't turkey hunt and know very little about them, so please excuse me if this question sounds stupid....lol.

Is it the prevailing nuances of the current weather that turns them on, or is there something like photo-periodism at work that drives the timing as in deer? I think I am hearing that the activities seem to be repetitive from year to year regardless of what the weather is doing for each year.

Anybody got some info on that?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

All this talk about timing of the best turkey hunting has gotten me wondering exactly what drive the breeding activity of turkeys. I don't turkey hunt and know very little about them, so please excuse me if this question sounds stupid....lol.

Is it the prevailing nuances of the current weather that turns them on, or is there something like photo-periodism at work that drives the timing as in deer? I think I am hearing that the activities seem to be repetitive from year to year regardless of what the weather is doing for each year.

Anybody got some info on that?

Same as deer, the amount of daylight triggers the breeding season. Weather will affect the timing somewhat.  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 3:41 PM, mowin said:

Your correct.  The tom gobbles on roost to call the Hens to him. Were trying to reverse mother nature's intention.  

So many times you here stories when the tom hits the ground, he shuts up, or heads the other way.  It's because the ladies showed up and are dragging him away from the annoying hen(us).  This is where the tactic of mimicking the boss hen to piss her off comes into play.  Your try to get her mad, and hopefully come up and show you who's in charge, dragging tommy behind her. 

never hear much about gobbler calls.  Would it work then esp early morn to use a gobbler call?  thus calling hens to you and therefore dragging Tom too?  

I have had this issue in the past many times where a gobbler in roost is ringing thru the woods then flies down and never comes over cause he is off with the hens.  

13 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

never hear much about gobbler calls.  Would it work then esp early morn to use a gobbler call?  thus calling hens to you and therefore dragging Tom too?  

I have had this issue in the past many times where a gobbler in roost is ringing thru the woods then flies down and never comes over cause he is off with the hens.  

Ive only used it to get a shock gobble

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ive only used it to get a shock gobble

i have a spot i set up and have killed a few turkeys there.  They roost 100 yards away and usually its one or two gobblers noisy on the roost then they fly down and off with those hens.  I wonder if a little competition 100 yards away brings them in instead of a lone hen trying to bring them over...... dont have a gobbler call but might be worth a try . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i have a spot i set up and have killed a few turkeys there.  They roost 100 yards away and usually its one or two gobblers noisy on the roost then they fly down and off with those hens.  I wonder if a little competition 100 yards away brings them in instead of a lone hen trying to bring them over...... dont have a gobbler call but might be worth a try . 

I've used a gobble call to bring in a tom before.  It's hit or miss.  I've had them head the other direction when they heard it.  

I use it as a locator, shock gobble call, or when roosting in the evening to get a tight lipped gobbler on roost to sound off just once so I know he there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

On one day, a gobbler call will bring them in (either out of curiosity or aggression), on another day they will ignore it or move along quickly. Like almost everything else in turkey hunting, there really is no predicting these birds. If you don't have a dedicated gobbler call you can make a passable gobbler sound with a box call or a mouth call, with some practice. Lots of people are scared to make gobbler noises in the spring, especially on public land (understandably so).

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

What calls do you guys use when roosting birds the night before you hunt? Do you wait till dark or call at sunset?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

they're already heading to where they'll roost. call just after sunset. have to be careful because he might only gobble once if on or close to the roost before sun down.

Anyone ever Turkey hunt Allegheny state park? I'll be there all weekend and might bring the gun along to try it out. Either that or beers and trout 
Check the regs....not sure if your allowed to hunt the park on sundays

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’ve seen it work similar to a buck grunt in pissing off other toms, but not hens. I’ve often brought in bitchy hens using hen calls because they “don’t want some hoe” on their turf haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen it work similar to a buck grunt in pissing off other toms, but not hens. I’ve often brought in bitchy hens using hen calls because they “don’t want some hoe” on their turf haha

I was always told not to use a gobbler call so you don't get shot by some googan who isn't verifying their target and beyond.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I was always told not to use a gobbler call so you don't get shot by some googan who isn't verifying their target and beyond.

And that’s good advice, I’m fortunate that nobody hunts the wood chicken near me, but I honestly think it’s been 3 years since I’ve actually used one.

And that’s good advice, I’m fortunate that nobody hunts the wood chicken near me, but I honestly think it’s been 3 years since I’ve actually used one.

Wish I was so fortunate. I had to drive around for half an hour opening morning to find a plot of public not stacked with cars. Good luck.

Anyone ever Turkey hunt Allegheny state park? I'll be there all weekend and might bring the gun along to try it out. Either that or beers and trout 

Ever watch The Hunting Public guys on YouTube? They’re headed to NY to hunt and I’m wondering if they’ll be in ASP

• Like 2

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I use a silent dog whistle as gobbler locater ^_^

Lol, I fell for that gimmick. 

Blew that stupid thing till I was blue in the face many times.  Rarely had a response. I'd owl hoot, and get a response. Got so pissed off, I tossed the thing in the bushes. 

Lol, I fell for that gimmick. 
Blew that stupid thing till I was blue in the face many times.  Rarely had a response. I'd owl hoot, and get a response. Got so pissed off, I tossed the thing in the bushes. 

I bought one too lol, never got a response from turkeys or my dogs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ever watch The Hunting Public guys on YouTube? They’re headed to NY to hunt and I’m wondering if they’ll be in ASP

Could be I'll keep an eye open so I can follow them in lol

• Like 1