Studying For Alost A Yaer, Still Going In Cold

DirtTime

Almost everything's packed up and ready to load into the truck in the morning. We have to grab some ice in the morning to keep the meat we are taking from home frozen, couldn't see buying that when we have it here.

I hope we can get up to the cabin early enough so I can get a little boots on the ground scouting/still hunting in before supper. Tuesday looks like some rain, so I shall see what it looks like that morning.

Don't much see a point in going in the woods before close to first light, Not sitting behind any kind of blind and not hunting from a tree stand. Super slow still hunting, so I don't want be jumping deer I can't see by going in to early.

Go time is close.

Bitter pill for me to sort out, but have decided, for this trip, I am only going after a buck. The reasons for that decision, doing it for the memory of a lost family member who was the only one who never thought I was crazy for driving hours out and back, to hunt areas that are off the beaten path, just because I love the Adirondacks and hunting up there.

I hope you all have a great week hunting where ever you hunt.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 3

Had a great week. Only got three hunts in because weather people suck! Said rain for Tuesday morning, but not a drop until late afternoon/evening, so I made no plan to hunt and slept in, I was stewing hard on that one.

Hunted West Canada Lake Wednesday morning. The area I was in was thick, and I mean thick. Walked for a few hours on a loop a little North of Lewey Lake, maybe I covered a mile and a half. Heard something bug out ahead of me, but saw nothing. Headed back to the cabin around 10AM for breakfast and hiking for the afternoon. We hiked a trail in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness near Chimney mountain. I did some off trail recon during the hike and located a few spots I could see far enough to get a sit or two in. Found a nice little bowl with a couple down trees that made a perfect blind. We also hiked two other trails that afternoon.

Thursday morning I got in the area I found the day before just at first light and sat for a couple hours. Stayed until my a** was almost frostbit from sitting on a cold wet moss covered log. No deer seen. Back to camp to warm my backside and wait for my buddy to get there. Wifey wanted to get some scenic pics so we did some driving and walking for that.

Friday was calling for crappy weather, so I did not hunt. Instead, we hiked Watch Hill in the rain. I made the top, but where the trail gets narrow up top, my fear of heights went crazy and I had a full blown panic attack up there. I made the top, but not to the over look off the rock face, 50 yards to go and I was shaking and felt like I was having a heart attack. The decent was nothing less then miserable. At least I did make the top, and for being a short fat out of shape dude I was still happy I made the hike.

Saturday morning. Regular season opener. I was stoked. Decided to go back to the bowl I sat with my bow. Get to the secondary trail head, and there's 8 guys getting ready to head in. I back out a little to let them have the area thinking they were local guys and knew the area better then me, and I didn't want to impede on their hunt. So I found another spot and just stood next to a tree for an hour until I heard someone walking through just over a small ridge in front of me. I waited a little to see if he/she kicked anything back my way, then headed out.

I did not want to hunt off any trail heads, but did anyways. Saturday was at the request of my wife to stay close to camp after having issues on Friday.

Over all I had a great time up there. We ate great, got a lot of dirt time in, played board games at night, smokes a couple nice cigars, sipped some brandy, drank a few beers, and just enjoyed being in the Dacks.

I have to sort through a ton of photos, and video clips, to see what came out good. I did not take a lot of pics or shoot much video on my hunts though, I kept my focus on the hunt. But I will try to at least get some pics up here. I did make sure to take a pic of a guardrail and a woods road though LOL!

• Like 9

Took time to sift through a lot of pictures, and these are the only ones I have that are hunting related. Like I said, I hunted and didn't worry much about taking pics or filming. The few short clips I have for hunting will get edited together, and end with the video I shot of "The Spirit Of Hunting" video I filmed.

The woods road pic and the guardrail pic are in jest, just joking with Bill and stormy. So I hope the both of them take in stride that I am not insulting, just joking around.

On the way back from a hunt, I had to wait for a flock of turkey to cross the road. I took the best pic I had time to and only have a few in the pic, but there were at least 20 of them buggers.

The tree that looks like a rub has be a bit puzzled. I honestly don't think it was a rub, but was a cool pic none the less.

ts1.jpg

ts2.jpg

ts3.jpg

ts4.jpg

ts5.jpg

ts6.jpg

ts7.jpg

ts8.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 8:43 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

So by this logic can you find your deer, decide it has ground shrinkage and you dont want to tag it and just walk away??

On 10/17/2019 at 11:35 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

No. You have to tag it. But in my Dad's case, he could have taken out the head/nuts and left the rest. 

It's kind of an interesting "what if". We all know that game laws are very hard to enforce right? So lets say a hunter finds said deer with ground shrinkage and just walks away. Hypothetically, he could argue he didn't find the deer at all and someone would have to prove he did. Not any different than a bad shot and lost deer. I can't remember the state or species, i want to say bear though. If you hit and wound but dont recover, you still punch your tag. That's really the only case where this would work. You're really just in trouble IF you try and harvest any bit of the deer (meat and or antlers) and are caught with it untagged. 

all hypothetical of course and even more important where states have ARs. But if I shot a spike real far away thinking it was a doe when i already punched my tag, you better believe i'm not letting that animal rot because of a man made law. i'll take my punishment. 

On 10/17/2019 at 2:11 PM, Hunter007 said:

Hmm you just called a member of the Forman  stupid .

That's a violation of the rules here . NO PERSONAL ATTACKS!!!

On 10/17/2019 at 2:48 PM, Hunter007 said:

I don't do personal attacks only bad jokes . 

and confusing statements about construction site supervisors. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

I can't remember the state or species, i want to say bear though. If you hit and wound but dont recover, you still punch your tag. That's really the only case where this would work. You're really just in trouble IF you try and harvest any bit of the deer (meat and or antlers) and are caught with it untagged. 

Alaska has that law, Ted Nugent got pinched for it

• Thanks 1

and confusing statements about construction site supervisors. 

You bring up a great point, when AR’s first became law where I hunted the Catskills I found 3 bucks on public land that all seemed to be hit well and none of them had 3pts on one side. I assume they were all shot and left when the shooter realized they weren’t legal.

I have way more respect for someone who would get caught trying to get it home than for someone that would just leave it in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Took time to sift through a lot of pictures, and these are the only ones I have that are hunting related. Like I said, I hunted and didn't worry much about taking pics or filming. The few short clips I have for hunting will get edited together, and end with the video I shot of "The Spirit Of Hunting" video I filmed.

The woods road pic and the guardrail pic are in jest, just joking with Bill and stormy. So I hope the both of them take in stride that I am not insulting, just joking around.

On the way back from a hunt, I had to wait for a flock of turkey to cross the road. I took the best pic I had time to and only have a few in the pic, but there were at least 20 of them buggers.

The tree that looks like a rub has be a bit puzzled. I honestly don't think it was a rub, but was a cool pic none the less.

ts6.jpg

Someone may correct me but I think a porcupine did that. Great pics, thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You bring up a great point, when AR’s first became law where I hunted the Catskills I found 3 bucks on public land that all seemed to be hit well and none of them had 3pts on one side. I assume they were all shot and left when the shooter realized they weren’t legal.

I have way more respect for someone who would get caught trying to get it home than for someone that would just leave it in the woods.

there's no guarantee for sure, but many game wardens who have been interviewed will admit that they reward honesty for honest mistakes. 

I think i've shared this story before but in MS, they have the logical 30 before and after shooting time laws. They also have Ars. It was about 20 minutes after and I was in a covered ravine so it was darker than it would be in a field. A big deer came out at about 70 yards and i saw rack but couldn't count and didn't have time. I touched off my muzzleloader and my heart was racing as I walked up on him. I was really nervous I might not have shot a legal buck. This public land also required a jawbone dropoff. Thankfully he was a beautiful mature 9, but I understand the feeling. Just the same I would have dragged an illegal deer out of there. Deciding whether to fess up my mistake to the warden or test my luck is a decision i never had to make. But there's no way i'd senselessly let a life go to waste in the woods. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Had a great week. Only got three hunts in because weather people suck! Said rain for Tuesday morning, but not a drop until late afternoon/evening, so I made no plan to hunt and slept in, I was stewing hard on that one.

Hunted West Canada Lake Wednesday morning. The area I was in was thick, and I mean thick. Walked for a few hours on a loop a little North of Lewey Lake, maybe I covered a mile and a half. Heard something bug out ahead of me, but saw nothing. Headed back to the cabin around 10AM for breakfast and hiking for the afternoon. We hiked a trail in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness near Chimney mountain. I did some off trail recon during the hike and located a few spots I could see far enough to get a sit or two in. Found a nice little bowl with a couple down trees that made a perfect blind. We also hiked two other trails that afternoon.

Thursday morning I got in the area I found the day before just at first light and sat for a couple hours. Stayed until my a** was almost frostbit from sitting on a cold wet moss covered log. No deer seen. Back to camp to warm my backside and wait for my buddy to get there. Wifey wanted to get some scenic pics so we did some driving and walking for that.

Friday was calling for crappy weather, so I did not hunt. Instead, we hiked Watch Hill in the rain. I made the top, but where the trail gets narrow up top, my fear of heights went crazy and I had a full blown panic attack up there. I made the top, but not to the over look off the rock face, 50 yards to go and I was shaking and felt like I was having a heart attack. The decent was nothing less then miserable. At least I did make the top, and for being a short fat out of shape dude I was still happy I made the hike.

Saturday morning. Regular season opener. I was stoked. Decided to go back to the bowl I sat with my bow. Get to the secondary trail head, and there's 8 guys getting ready to head in. I back out a little to let them have the area thinking they were local guys and knew the area better then me, and I didn't want to impede on their hunt. So I found another spot and just stood next to a tree for an hour until I heard someone walking through just over a small ridge in front of me. I waited a little to see if he/she kicked anything back my way, then headed out.

I did not want to hunt off any trail heads, but did anyways. Saturday was at the request of my wife to stay close to camp after having issues on Friday.

Over all I had a great time up there. We ate great, got a lot of dirt time in, played board games at night, smokes a couple nice cigars, sipped some brandy, drank a few beers, and just enjoyed being in the Dacks.

I have to sort through a ton of photos, and video clips, to see what came out good. I did not take a lot of pics or shoot much video on my hunts though, I kept my focus on the hunt. But I will try to at least get some pics up here. I did make sure to take a pic of a guardrail and a woods road though LOL!

Did you hike the trail along kings flow in chimney?  I hunted it there before before it makes a turn to head towards puffer pond there was a nice open gully there.Saw some deer and bear sign there.  And seen a deer in the trail on the way back.  Have to get off the main trail there as too many hikers and leaf peepers.  Dunno if you checked out cabins but they are really nice and not bad priced.  Have had some great times there and shore lunches.  

Chimney 2016.jpg

chimney bass.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Did you hike the trail along kings flow in chimney?  I hunted it there before before it makes a turn to head towards puffer pond there was a nice open gully there.Saw some deer and bear sign there.  And seen a deer in the trail on the way back.  Have to get off the main trail there as too many hikers and leaf peepers.  Dunno if you checked out cabins but they are really nice and not bad priced.  Have had some great times there and shore lunches.  

Chimney 2016.jpg

chimney bass.jpg

We drove back into Chimney and planned to try and hike it, but it was $5 to park to hike public land. With so many other trails we were pretty much like blank that. We went back out the road and hiked Crotched Pond instead. That's where I took the pic of the sandy road.

We gave John Pond - Cedar Pond a go, trails were flooded out pretty bad though, so we didn't make the whole loop.

• 2 months later...

Just put in the reservation request to see if the same cabin is available this year. I hope it works out, and we get it.

Last year, a few days after we left, that Halloween storm hit and tore up a lot of the back roads and a few of the main roads. Not to mention the woods.

I really want to get a ML for this trip, but, I doubt I can afford it. No matter, I"ll still hit the woods with the bow.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2020 at 7:50 PM, DirtTime said:

Just put in the reservation request to see if the same cabin is available this year. I hope it works out, and we get it.

Last year, a few days after we left, that Halloween storm hit and tore up a lot of the back roads and a few of the main roads. Not to mention the woods.

I really want to get a ML for this trip, but, I doubt I can afford it. No matter, I"ll still hit the woods with the bow.

I have one you can use for the week. 

• Like 4

On 1/30/2020 at 10:28 PM, grampy said:

I have one you can use for the week. 

On 1/31/2020 at 8:48 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Thats where I was going with this too

I very sincerely appreciate the offer guys.

I very humbly must decline. I have zero exp. with a ML. While I get it's not rocket science, I could never live with myself if something happened to your fire arms. Gunking up the powder or falling and breaking the weapon are what I have to consider. Please understand, I really do appreciate the offers, I could never live with myself if something happened to your ML.

My buddies father has two he has offered to allow my wife and I to use on his land. He doesn't hunt anymore, so I am thinking about asking him if he would sell me one. I'm sure he would allow me to make a few payments and then bring it home once I paid him in full for it.

If not, it's a deal breaker for me. I'll still hunt, and now that I have a slight grasp on a couple areas, I won't be crawling through thickets next year ( I hope ).

• Like 1

I very humbly must decline. I have zero exp. with a ML. While I get it's not rocket science, I could never live with myself if something happened to your fire arms. Gunking up the powder or falling and breaking the weapon are what I have to consider. Please understand, I really do appreciate the offers, I could never live with myself if something happened to your ML.

My buddies father has two he has offered to allow my wife and I to use on his land. He doesn't hunt anymore, so I am thinking about asking him if he would sell me one. I'm sure he would allow me to make a few payments and then bring it home once I paid him in full for it.

If not, it's a deal breaker for me. I'll still hunt, and now that I have a slight grasp on a couple areas, I won't be crawling through thickets next year ( I hope ).

Rob I sent you a PM.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DirtTime said:

If we were closer we could meet at a range for a half hour ML 101, theres not much to it. In exchange you could teach me to start a fire with a lemon and a twist tie!

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If we were closer we could meet at a range for a half hour ML 101, theres not much to it. In exchange you could teach me to start a fire with a lemon and a twist tie!

As I said, the offer was much appreciated.

Fire with a lemon and a twist tie..... Hmm......... That could get tricky. Twist tie for a twig bundle is doable. I guess make the fire then make a glass of lemonade?.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

As I said, the offer was much appreciated.

Fire with a lemon and a twist tie..... Hmm......... That could get tricky. Twist tie for a twig bundle is doable. I guess make the fire then make a glass of lemonade?.

They really are super simple. Just make sure they're clean and you're good for the most part. I suggest you use blackhorn 209 powder. Not as convinent as pellets, but less of a hassle 

• 7 months later...