Studying For Alost A Yaer, Still Going In Cold

DirtTime

So, I have scaled back what will be in my pack. Fire kit, spare gloves, hot hands, and the bare basics like my arm guard, release, TP, drag strap, some shoe laces ( good cordage just in case ), binos, flashlight/head lamp, and a couple extra knives. I am planning to take my small folding chair, but not sure I will use it. Doubt the deer will come to me, so I will most likely be still hunting or stalking.

I also put together a personal fishing kit, some line, hooks, split shots, and a spare folder in an Altoids tin. Yes, I do plan to cut a stick and see if this fishing kit works. I like doing this stuff, so if you have an issue I simply say, step outside your box.

I will start getting my gear packed up Thursday. Will wash my hunting cloths with Ivory, re-treat with Sawyers, and pack them back up. I did pick up some sent cover for this trip, I don't know if I will actually have to use it, but it was on sale so I figured why not have it.

Thought about it, and I am taking the .25-06 up for the 10/26 regular opener. My wife has a ton of plans for the last day, but I will be able to get a few hours in with the rifle weather permitting.

Rob I don’t see a compass and map on your list. I’m sure you won’t be miles from the road but they are absolute must haves!

Also drop the Binos the leaves are still on and will likely be useless.

Good luck on your trip and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Rob I don’t see a compass and map on your list. I’m sure you won’t be miles from the road but they are absolute must haves!

Also drop the Binos the leaves are still on and will likely be useless.

Good luck on your trip and enjoy!

I have a compass, 2 actually. I also have maps. Also have pens to fill out tags and zip ties to attach tags if need be. Some things should be a given and not have to be mentioned.

I am taking the binos for the hiking trips. But will still leave them in my pack.

Thank for the luck wishes.

Edited by DirtTime
added a thank you.

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Just making sure.

I don't mess around up there. I may not get to have the Dacks as my main hunting ground, but I have been up there enough to know the risks.

I appreciate you making sure I have the basics covered.

Whitahall is almost on the VT border east of Lake George. South/east and over two hours away from where I will be hunting. I said I was hunting in the dacks- big woods, not the sub-burbs.

If I see a dude in an ape suit following me around the middle of the Adirondack Mountains, I will be sure and say hello to you stormy. Make sure the creepy pic you take of me gets my good side. :taunt:

Edited by DirtTime
grammer spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Whitahall is almost on the VT border east of Lake George. South/east and over two hours away from where I will be hunting. I said I was hunting in the dacks- big woods, not the sub-burbs.

If I see a dude in an ape suit following me around the middle of the Adirondack Mountains, I will be sure and say hello to you stormy. Make sure the creepy pic you take of me gets my good side. :taunt:

OH! I want to add, If I see any creepy cars or folks not staying in the camp, I will know it's you stormy! I just decided to take my trail cam and set it up over looking our cabin! So if you plan to keep your identity a secret, don't be nosin' round buddy! I will post your mug shot all over every outdoor forum I know of, even if I have to join! If you wear your mask then I will surely know it was you! LMAO!

I had to post this up...

:taunt::rofl::rofl::taunt:

Edited by DirtTime
Spell check stinks!

13 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

OH! I want to add, If I see any creepy cars or folks not staying in the camp, I will know it's you stormy! I just decided to take my trail cam and set it up over looking our cabin! So if you plan to keep your identity a secret, don't be nosin' round buddy! I will post your mug shot all over every outdoor forum I know of, even if I have to join! If you wear your mask then I will surely know it was you! LMAO!

I had to post this up...

:taunt::rofl::rofl::taunt:

What part you of the Adirondacks  you planning on going  to rob .

Or are you scared to tell me  :)

Edited by Hunter007

16 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I know you said you are going up with the bow but make sure she has plenty of orange on for her walks on those trials. Muzzleloader opens up on Saturday. 

Ya know, that you much for that reminder. She just bought a new day to day coat and a new hunting coat, I have idea what color the day to day coat is. I will make sure to pack her and my orange vests for hiking. I plan to take my neon green/black cold weather hat for that reason for myself. Surprisingly enough, it does not seem to bother deer, but it can be seen for a ways off.

Thanks for that heads up Culver.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

What part you of the Adirondacks  you planning on going  to rob .

Or are you scared to tell me  :)

I was joking ya know?

I already said where I am going. Where I will be hunting....Depends on how I feel and how far I feel like driving for that hunt. I know no matter what, I want a morning in Siamese Ponds.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I was joking ya know?

I already said where I am going. Where I will be hunting....Depends on how I feel and how far I feel like driving for that hunt. I know no matter what, I want a morning in Siamese Ponds.

Me to,   any any particular reason you picked that spot besides your wife wanting to hike around there ?

Maybe you wrote this already  sorry if I missed it .

7 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

Me to,   any any particular reason you picked that spot besides your wife wanting to hike around there ?

Maybe you wrote this already  sorry if I missed it .

Not really. Just have heard good things about the hunting and fishing back in there. So, I am thinking perfect place to get some hunting in, and try out the new fishing kit I made as well. Lotta places to fish and hunt the same outing up there. But that's the only place I have put a definite mark on the map to hit. There's also the fact that where we'll be staying has canoes included in the rental. So, If I want to make sure I don't have other hunters around me, I can put my gear in and paddle across Indian Lake, weather would have to be all but perfect for a paddle though. 15 MPH winds on those lakes and depending on headwind, I may not even make it across the lake and drown.

Like I said, I have been planning this for almost a year now, and I am not going in stupid, just a bit blind as to what's on the ground as for the woods being thick.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Not really. Just have heard good things about the hunting and fishing back in there. So, I am thinking perfect place to get some hunting in, and try out the new fishing kit I made as well. Lotta places to fish and hunt the same outing up there. But that's the only place I have put a definite mark on the map to hit. There's also the fact that where we'll be staying has canoes included in the rental. So, If I want to make sure I don't have other hunters around me, I can put my gear in and paddle across Indian Lake, weather would have to be all but perfect for a paddle though. 15 MPH winds on those lakes and depending on headwind, I may not even make it across the lake and drown.

Like I said, I have been planning this for almost a year now, and I am not going in stupid, just a bit blind as to what's on the ground as for the woods being thick.

Lots of Planning is good if you plan on doing lots of   bush wacking going off the established trails  they have over there .but If you wanted to you can just hunt on those trails and really not have to worry to much if you no what I mean I know buckmaster probably going to take issue with that . But it's kinda hard to get lost when you just stay on the trails even up there . One thing  I would definitely bring along is   trail tape incase you shoot something and have to go in far off trail to find it .   GPS compass of course  anyway  If your  phone don't have it .

Besides hunting I have hiked  up there before plenty of good trails to hunt from  . 

Edited by Hunter007

My biggest “racked” adk buck came after a hellacious paddle across Indian lake. 10pt that weighed 203lbs the first week of December. That’s an option I highly recommend just be careful because there is a couple camps on private land you’ll have to watch out for.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Hunter007 said:

Lots of Planning is good if you plan on doing lots of   bush wacking going off the established trails  they have over there .but If you wanted to you can just hunt on those trails and really not have to worry to much if you no what I mean I know buckmaster probably going to take issue with that . But it's kinda hard to get lost when you just stay on the trails even up there . One thing  I would definitely bring along is   trail tape incase you shoot something and have to go in far off trail to find it .   GPS compass of course  anyway  If your  phone don't have it .

Besides hunting I have hiked  up there before plenty of good trails to hunt from  . 

I always have some orange marking tape in the pack. Maps and a couple compasses for navigation, no GPS. As for hunting trails...... No, that's not how I hunt. Most of the area I will be in won't have trails or even parking areas. Pull of the side of the road parking. I'm not hunting Stewart State forest with parking lots and woods roads. C'mon man! Rob here, not Bill.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I always have some orange marking tape in the pack. Maps and a couple compasses for navigation, no GPS. As for hunting trails...... No, that's not how I hunt. Most of the area I will be in won't have trails or even parking areas. Pull of the side of the road parking. I'm not hunting Stewart State forest with parking lots and woods roads. C'mon man! Rob here, not Bill.

Logging roads  and snow machine trails  and hiking  trails could be great place to spot deer , Its thick up there and the deer like to travel on path of least resistance   could be just as good hunting then bush wacking deep in off trail 

Just something to think about.

Do what ever you think is best .

Some of those trails go 50  /100 plus miles so you want to be alone just keep walking not a problem up there . 

3 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Rob-- with all due respect to you-  Woodsroads are only used to enter- walk a mile or 2 in and possibly - get a Lucky observation of wild Turkeys.  I spend most of my time in Swamps and open Hardwoods ,and wetland areas with plenty of Indian Heads.These are the areas where, I have taken most of my Turkeys. I go where others won't go. That is why, I have had plenty of success over 30 years of chasing the big Birds.       In my area there are Woods Roads everywhere- so, I make use of them and you would too if you lived in my area. From there, I hit the Swamps and hidden Glades, and hidden islands.  

It was a joke Bill. Relax. My deepest apologies that I forgot to put an LOL at the end.

3 hours ago, Hunter007 said:

Logging roads  and snow machine trails  and hiking  trails could be great place to spot deer , Its thick up there and the deer like to travel on path of least resistance   could be just as good hunting then bush wacking deep in off trail 

Just something to think about.

Do what ever you think is best .

Some of those trails go 50  /100 plus miles so you want to be alone just keep walking not a problem up there . 

I will take this into consideration. Really not my style to hunt over or on trails though.

But again, some of the places I plan to hunt do not have trails, so what does that mean? There are no trails to walk on. One last time, just to be clear, when there are no trails where you are hunting, you cannot walk on trails. Honestly, really, there will not be trails in all the areas I want to hunt. I really don't think this is so hard to understand. Or is it?

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

It was a joke Bill. Relax. My deepest apologies that I forgot to put an LOL at the end.

I will take this into consideration. Really not my style to hunt over or on trails though.

But again, some of the places I plan to hunt do not have trails, so what does that mean? There are no trails to walk on. One last time, just to be clear, when there are no trails where you are hunting, you cannot walk on trails. Honestly, really, there will not be trails in all the areas I want to hunt. I really don't think this is so hard to understand. Or is it?

Even bigfoot has been spotted on those trails  up there  lol 

Actually no matter where you go up there  there is a trail not to far away   usually  . 

But I here you  you want to really get out there .

Edited by Hunter007
  • Confused 1