Killing Bucks with poor genetics

WhitetailCrazed11

After watching all these hunting shows lately it got me to thinking about what the real point in shooting a buck with poor genetics is really for. Seeing how a doe will run her yearling buck off after a few months, doesn't mother naure do you the favor of ridding your property of gaining bad genetics throughout your heard? And the same goes for a buck with good genetics, it's not like you'll ever get to hunt his offspring right?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High fence.... Ehhh I doubt that, their an awfully respectable couple. It's more like doe whacker said, they literally farm for whitetails which is like a high fence on steroids because there is no limit to how many deer use the property from surrounding farms. I know what ur saying though about the professional business, I grew up watching and looking up to Jackie bushman and bill jordan until I talked to people that shared camps with them and said they're ignorant SOB's and wouldnt even talk with the guys at camp

The Lakoskys are different. They have 6000 acres in IA, on multiple farms, and another 1200 in KS. They are not a high fence operation, they are grain farms that are heavily managed and in the right part of the world to have ideal conditions to grow big deer. They also have a ton of food plots and are constantly adding more. They dont mess with the genetics, they already have some of the best wild genetics in the world living on their land.

The Lakoskys are different. They have 6000 acres in IA, on multiple farms, and another 1200 in KS. They are not a high fence operation, they are grain farms that are heavily managed and in the right part of the world to have ideal conditions to grow big deer. They also have a ton of food plots and are constantly adding more. They dont mess with the genetics, they already have some of the best wild genetics in the world living on their land.

and lots of feeders.....

Imagine owning 6000 acres of prime Iowa land  ;D , i can't even afford .6 acres!

I found and read the transcript of a webchat with them from a couple of years ago where they said that they had over 500 acres of food plots. Thats equal to almost 1/3rd of all of the hunting land I have access to! Gotta be nice.

and lots of feeders.....

Hey, if its legal....

Well, if some don't already know, MONEY can get you big bucks.  I guess the Lakosky's can kiss the feet of those who made them TV stars for the ability to buy the prime land and keep it producing big bucks.  I myself am grateful that I still have a small place to hunt and I'm perfectly happy with the dink bucks and does I kill on it.  Doesn't cost me too much money and I'm no less content than those who have the need to kill the big ones.

Its funny how many bucks I see when the season starts that never once  hit one of our or neighbors trail camera's.  Deer roam farther then you  think.

So true :P

Beside the desire to roam during the rut ....you could have a bigger bodied scraggle racked buck run off that nice typical you have been watching....much of the fighting is won by the larger deer. No points in the battle for the largest head gear.

Well, if some don't already know, MONEY can get you big bucks.  I guess the Lakosky's can kiss the feet of those who made them TV stars for the ability to buy the prime land and keep it producing big bucks.  I myself am grateful that I still have a small place to hunt and I'm perfectly happy with the dink bucks and does I kill on it.  Doesn't cost me too much money and I'm no less content than those who have the need to kill the big ones.

They had that land before TV came around. Lee worked his ass off to make the money to buy their first chunk. He worked as a chemical engineer, but quit because he didnt like it. If you read up on them, its kind of a cool story.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/41050037.html?page=1&c=y

After watching all these hunting shows lately it got me to thinking about what the real point in shooting a buck with poor genetics is really for. Seeing how a doe will run her yearling buck off after a few months, doesn't mother naure do you the favor of ridding your property of gaining bad genetics throughout your heard? And the same goes for a buck with good genetics, it's not like you'll ever get to hunt his offspring right?

Just trying to get this thread back on topic.....

Yeah, bucks leave their birth location, but they don't go to another state ..... lol. Plus for those who believe in "culling", the buck you cull has already taken up residence in your hunting area and is breeding does on your hunting turf. So if I get the gist of your question, the fact that bucks may set up shop in a different location is irrelevant to the breeding age bucks you are culling in the area where you are hunting. Also, keep in mind that half the genetic structure comes from does.

However the bigger question here is, "does culling even work in the first place?" I guess there are quite a few pretty good studies that show in a truly wild herd, there is no such thing as human influence on genetics of the deer. Which makes me wonder about those hunting shows you are talking about. Are those really wild free-range deer that they are talking about when they mention such things as "management bucks"....lol. Maybe just outside of the view of the camera lens there is a huge fence where all this talk about culling and such actually makes some sense  :;) .