Safety harness strap solution

Localqdm

What do you guys do or use to allow you to shoot 360 degrees in your stand. The harnesses I have all come with a strap that is too short to really shoot to my right (being right handed which would put me facing the tree), so I tied on a short piece of rope to give me that wiggle room. I know its for safety as you are suppose to not have slack in the strap so you can't really fall below the height of the platform, but you have to be able to shoot either direction. What do you use/do?

I will go with Safety over putting slack in the strap . I'd rather not be able to take the shot than snap my back from a sudden jolt . Then again , if you aren't putting too much slack in the strap , you would probably be okay .

No criticism intended ---- just an opinion .

I have the same problem. I've resorted to the worse solution and take it off after I've gotten settled in. Wish there was something else out there.

Rob - Please don't do that! I fell 20' outta my stand 2 years ago while checking my stands before season. I ALWAYS wore a safety harness, but the opportunity was there to check stands that day, when I didn't have it with me. Figured I'd do it to get it out of the way, but just be extra careful. I'm still in pain every day, but thankful to be alive. It cost me $$, big time (emergency room, doc copays, PT, surgery, time out of work, ect...)! NO deer is worth not wearing a safety harness 100% of the time! I'm now strapped in with a linemans belt while hanging stands, a lifeline when climbing up and down, and of course the tree strap when in the stand.

If you need just extend your rope and are worried if it still will be safe why don't you try going to one of the saftey clothing wear stores or somebody that would supply fall arrest systems. I am pretty sure you can replace the fall rope and they come in different lengths so you could possably find one that would let you rotate around the tree. Don't know how expensive just the lanard would be, but it is your life so I would think a little money could be spent.

• 3 weeks later...

not saying much here anymore but will on this one. statistics say that one in three treestand users will fall in there hunting lifetime so please do wear your harness always.. Just my 2 cents.according to what new york has us teach at hunter ed.

Edited by vietvet50

I try to set up where the likelihood of having to shoot to my right is low.

I'd agree with that. Having said that the harness I got with the Gander stand is not obstructive and has decent slack. Come to think of it i find myself using it more then the one I paid 80$ for.

If it were up to treestand manufactures, you wouldn't get one included with every stand.

It's the treestand safety assoc that requires them to provide safety harnesses.

Users are responsible for safety inspections & replacement when in doubt.

Lot of free ones avilable!!!

I think Cabinfever hit the nail on the head with his suggestion of the rope tree staps.

There was a How-To last year on this forum showing how to make your own prussic style rope strap.

Search the web too. Or you can buy one for ~$40..?

FYI - Should have a rope that provides enough tensile/break strength.

Think it's somewhere around 3500#, not sure though.

PS: Don't want to hear any more horror stories about falls from a treestand!!!

Please use something!!! Wheelcahirs aren't hunter friendly....