Skull Hooker

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So youre claiming that if you were the @TreeGuy and seven weeks from now when his rack and cape arrive at his taxidermist and the hide has slipped you would simply say "Send my rack back, forget it?"

Yes. In fact, it almost happened to me coming home from wyoming. the boxes with capes were delayed in shipping. Luckily they didnt slip. The mule deer buck had a double throat patch and i was prepared to just keep the racks. 

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So youre claiming that if you were the @TreeGuy and seven weeks from now when his rack and cape arrive at his taxidermist and the hide has slipped you would simply say "Send my rack back, forget it?"

Now that ain't right - well maybe it is but you're not supposed to jinx him

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

For the early season buck Id find an early season cape, no biggie. For someone as obsessed with racks as you are this stance is out of character 

it needs to be the exact deer, not a combo of two deer. This is my stance on reproduction fish mounts. It's skin or nothing!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yes. In fact, it almost happened to me coming home from wyoming. the boxes with capes were delayed in shipping. Luckily they didnt slip. The mule deer buck had a double throat patch and i was prepared to just keep the racks. 

I really need to sit down with your parents when I come down in January

• Like 2

if you get a repro, theoretically a million poeple can have the same repro mount because they all caught and released the same fish?
The biggest issue with skin mounts, which I have to side with Biz on as being the only way to go, is that you don't get to eat the fish! And at the end all that's even used is skin and the rest goes to waste unlike delicious deer and other animals where normal people can skin them for taxidermy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Two mounts, two  euros , don’t think I’d do anymore or either , perhaps a mount if it was outstanding in some way . Mostly I saw off the antlers ,write the date and weapon on it in marker and toss it in a pile .

My friend does these which I like , last one I had done was many years ago $35 , I much prefer them to euros , I’d imagine he’s double that price today . That buck my daughter was 14 and I had her pushing drainage ditches, the buck jumped up out of the weeds when she was 20 yards from me ! Dropped him on an all out sprint when  he went out into the field .

58D487E9-2B53-4E94-93E6-66952C27FD40.jpeg

Edited by Nomad

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

that top freaky bucky is awesome. wonder how old that buck was? bases look too thick to be a 1.5

Yea he was my first deer with a bow... on my second hunt of the season.  He was good sized but probably only 1.5.  Im not good at judging age.  This area has great genetics, and nutrition so I think they all “look older”.  Most bucks in the area are typical with lots of symmetry.  His bases were at weird angles and close together.   But it was definitely an odd rack, had some palmation. 5 main points and 2 small ones on the back. 

5F8C3703-B205-43FD-8562-AF18F043E5DC.jpeg

photo 2.JPG

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 3

Unfortunately I agree with Biz about the color variations and being able to tell one deer from another due to uniqueness in their coats.

I do disagree with him about not using a replacement cape. Yes I would know it’s not the same cape and it wouldn’t hold the same meaning but I would still do it unless the original cape was super super unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two mounts, two  euros , don’t think I’d do anymore or either , perhaps a mount if it was outstanding in some way . Mostly I saw off the antlers ,write the date and weapon on it in marker and toss it in a pile .
My friend does these which I like , last one I had done was many years ago $35 , I much prefer them to euros , I’d imagine he’s double that price today . That buck my daughter was 14 and I had her pushing drainage ditches, that buck jumped up out of the weeds when she was 20 yards from me ! Dropped him on an all out sprint when  he went out into the field .
58D487E9-2B53-4E94-93E6-66952C27FD40.thumb.jpeg.d09e77ee75cf9ff99d01de188f3685d0.jpeg

I have zero euros. I do these with date and location

8e94abe6db7758fec662dd4a7eb604a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

if you get a repro, theoretically a million poeple can have the same repro mount because they all caught and released the same fish?

had a marlin from Jamaica mounted - taxis won't skin mount one and from what I understand they refrain from skin mounting any salt water fish. 

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Don't do it! IMO the dips are heinous. It's a skull, it should be natural/white not camo or some other random color.

I'm the complete opposite! And find the plain white skulls boring. I try to find a camo pattern that has something to do with the hunt of that particular buck. Like snow camo for a deer taken in the snow. Or pines if it was killed there, or an oak pattern if killed there.  I have had two euro's camo dipped, and my gun buck from this year will be too. (picking it up this weekend) The one from this year will be an oak brush camo. That is where he breathed his last breath, in some 'very' thick brush.

And who remembers how cool wooly's skull carvings were! They were awesome! I just really like seeing the skull dressed up a bit. I have them done both ways. But an open pattern camo dip is my favorite.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

had a marlin from Jamaica mounted - taxis won't skin mount one and from what I understand they refrain from skin mounting any salt water fish. 

Good thing I get sea sick and can't fish saltwater! lol. Were you allowed to keep the real "Bill" ?

29 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Yea he was my first deer with a bow... on my second hunt of the season.  He was good sized but probably only 1.5.  Im not good at judging age.  This area has great genetics, and nutrition so I think they all “look older”.  Most bucks in the area are typical with lots of symmetry.  His bases were at weird angles and close together.   But it was definitely an odd rack, had some palmation. 5 main points and 2 small ones on the back. 

5F8C3703-B205-43FD-8562-AF18F043E5DC.jpeg

photo 2.JPG

such a unique buck. almost like a roe or sika

Aren't some Marlin's not allowed to be taken out of the water anyways and the only option being take measurements and pics to do repro?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk