Crop damage permit success!!!!!

Grizz1219

Glad u understand the destruction deer can cause to a farmers livleyhood... get sick of hearing "damn farmer gets nusience tags and kills all the deer"... well if they shot does and knocked down the population arouund the farmer he wouldn't get damage and need the permits....

Very true.. my cameras are showing a greater than 10 to 1 doe to buck ratio on this farm.. All the bucks so far are 1 1/2 or less... Telling me the other people hunting are shooting their "buck" and leaving... stupid... He lets us hunt to control the deer #'s, if they want meat, shoot a doe or 3 and let the young bucks grow.. I think this year will be a record doe kill for me if I can help it.. I'm hoping to get 2 more crop damamger permits after this weekend, then the two DMP tags he will give me during the season.. plus the archery tags.... Now if that big 10 shows up again.. I'll gladly tag him with my buck tag... ;-)

I'm not understanding something here. You said earlier that no DMP's are being given out, so how is the landowner getting them? Do landowners get DMP's even in units that have no DMP's available? If they are giving so many crop damage permits, it sure doesn't make sense that NO DMP's are being issued in this unit. Wouldn't it be more beneficial for hunters to be given some DMP's than have landowners get these crop damage permits?

If we knew which WMU this was in, you could look at the DMP allocation table and figure out how many DMPs were made available for it. Just because Grizz didnt get any DMPs this year, doesnt mean they arent giving any out. DMAPs and DDPs are given to individual land owners only after the DEC comes out and the farmer proves to them that he/she has a deer problem and that they are causing enough crop damage to warrant the permits. Those DMAPs and DDPs can only be used on that farm, not anywhere in the WMU (like a regular DMP can). Just because a particular WMU's herd is smaller than the ideal number DEC would like to have there overall, doesnt mean there arent concentrated pockets of deer within that WMU that need to be controlled on a much smaller scale.

If we knew which WMU this was in, you could look at the DMP allocation table and figure out how many DMPs were made available for it. Just because Grizz didnt get any DMPs this year, doesnt mean they arent giving any out. DMAPs and DDPs are given to individual land owners only after the DEC comes out and the farmer proves to them that he/she has a deer problem and that they are causing enough crop damage to warrant the permits. Those DMAPs and DDPs can only be used on that farm, not anywhere in the WMU (like a regular DMP can). Just because a particular WMU's herd is smaller than the ideal number DEC would like to have there overall, doesnt mean there arent concentrated pockets of deer within that WMU that need to be controlled on a much smaller scale.

Yes, I don't know anything about his unit that is why I am asking. I would hope that those units that give very few or NO DMP's out wouldn't give too many crop damage permits either. Yes, I could see a farmer having problems with deer, but if too many crop damage deer are taken out of these units with few or no DMP's available, I can't see how the herd will ever rebound unit wise? Since few or NO DMP's are given out, it must mean that the herd in general in these units are on the small side. I would hope that care be given by the DEC that they don't continue to make the herd numbers even smaller.

Yes, I don't know anything about his unit that is why I am asking. I would hope that those units that give very few or NO DMP's out wouldn't give too many crop damage permits either. Yes, I could see a farmer having problems with deer, but if too many crop damage deer are taken out of these units with few or no DMP's available, I can't see how the herd will ever rebound unit wise? Since few or NO DMP's are given out, it must mean that the herd in general in these units are on the small side. I would hope that care be given by the DEC that they don't continue to make the herd numbers even smaller.

They take all of that into consideration. The thing is, the farmers need to come first, then the hunters. Farmers are affected by crop damage worse than a hunter is by not getting a DMP in that area.

the farmer probably gives out dmaps which look just jike dmp.. and the fact is even in areas where there are lots of dmp's available a lot of hunters apply get and never shoot a doe!!! i have a few friends in genesee county who get the tags so yahoo's from the city dont come and shoot all their deer...then they complain when all they see are doe!!! makes no sence to me... but im sure everyone know someone who gets doe tags and wont shoot a doe..... Besides a doe's home range is fairly small and it takes large numbers and a lack of food to make them move to a new area .. you can be overrun with doe on one 200 acre farm and a mile away there can be few/no deer.

Edited by G-Man

DMAPs can only be used during the open deer season, and only on the property specified. DDPs can be used during the times specified, which are not during an open deer season, and only on the property specified. DMPs are used only during open deer season and anywhere in the WMU specified.

This year, 4Z has no DMPs available, 4Y has 1700 DMPs available.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30409.html

4Y has them for residents only... Not none residents... But my Fiance and I both hunt the farm, don't hunt anywhere else and use the tags on his farm only... Wish I could use them during bow season as well but oh well... I'll shoot them with the rifle and they will be just as tasty.. LOL

the thought process behind the damage permits is that is SPECIFICALLY allows them to reduce population on or around that one area...which may have a higher than desired population yet the WMU may be at the desired level or below. Let's face it, the deer are drawn to the ag crops. you can get small resident herds that are high in numbers. If they issued doe permits they could be used anywhere in the WMU. WNY hit it on the head...issue based on damage first.....resident hunters second and non residents third.

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree with crop damage permits how ever most deer do not cause the problem racoons and other smallgame do so why cant we get permits for them as well in my area they shot more than 80 deer in just three nites over bait but we cannot they said too many deer in that area was driving through a few nites ago and guess what there is still a sign that reads stop killing but i know after jan 1 they will be doing the same thing this makes me sick all they did with them was pile up and burn why not feed the hungry

Deer dont cause the problem? You should spend more time on and around farms. The farmer next door to me is loosing thousands in crop damage this year between his corn and beans. The deer have mowed his beans down to only 7 or 8 inches tall at the most. The outer 6 feet of corn along every edge but the road edge, is ruined. Every single cob has been half eaten. There has been other damage from bears and birds, but deer have done a number.