Seems my head didn’t open ?

Nomad

Forgive my ignorance, but in 31 years of killing them with a bow ,I’ve only used a mechanical once as an experiment. This years crossbow buck ,my first ,it seems the entry hole is a small round hole, the bolt then went trough the heart, same a round hole. It appears it opened before exit . I shoot  a Tenpoint xbow, don’t know the model , didn’t know which mechanical , till I just took this pic. it says “ wasp” which I believe is brand wether then a model .

Thoughts ? I really don’t want a repeat of this .

0F5C154B-1F35-4BDA-A2D5-CCA65C74263D.png

6D659C79-25B6-44C9-95AD-1A35F16611BA.png

250099E5-3196-4A67-9662-580716AE568A.jpeg

1 minute ago, monahmat said:

That looks like a Wasp Jackhammer which I used to shoot.  They are good heads.  I've never used them for crosbow bolt but on vertical bow you only use one o-ring.  I'm thinking the double o-ring may be the issue?

Good thought , I may ditch one of them . I also will talk to, the shop that sold them , they seemed pretty big on them .

I have shot 2 deer with that exact set up.  I got big entry and exit holes.  1 died in sight.  The other made it 100 yards and I heard it crash.  The double o-ring is recommended to keep the blades from opening right out of the crossbow.  I suppose it depends on how fast the xbow is.  From the picture it looks like a Jak-knife head, which is a 2 blade version of the Jak-hammer with a larger cutting diameter.  

It punched through the shoulder, gave you a pass through and a decent exit hole.  I would be okay with that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I have shot 2 deer with that exact set up.  I got big entry and exit holes.  1 died in sight.  The other made it 100 yards and I heard it crash.  The double o-ring is recommended to keep the blades from opening right out of the crossbow.  I suppose it depends on how fast the xbow is.  From the picture it looks like a Jak-knife head, which is a 2 blade version of the Jak-hammer with a larger cutting diameter.  

It punched through the shoulder, gave you a pass through and a decent exit hole.  I would be okay with that.

Thanks , it’s the three blade one . I was a little forward , was aiming for the crease . Oh I was pleased with the result , it didn’t go 60 yards, I got right down after the shot and walked to it , not opening till most of the way through ,seemed odd .

Guess I’ll just have to shoot more deer and see .

• Like 1

I've got a Barnett Doa shooting rage broadheads. I missed 2 deer with it this year. Wide open lanes , closet shot was 23 yards. Very little blood and white hair for both cases. Did some research and I guess the rage o rings are made to not have the slots lined up with the blades. I believe mine were lined up. That said I think my crossbow is shooting to fast causing the blades to open up before impact causing me to shot low. Anybody else have this problem or heard of it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

I've got a Barnett Doa shooting rage broadheads. I missed 2 deer with it this year. Wide open lanes , closet shot was 23 yards. Very little blood and white hair for both cases. Did some research and I guess the rage o rings are made to not have the slots lined up with the blades. I believe mine were lined up. That said I think my crossbow is shooting to fast causing the blades to open up before impact causing me to shot low. Anybody else have this problem or heard of it

Are you using rage crossbow specific heads?  Gman said the compound heads will open prematurely.   And yes, slots are for collar to break and should not be lined up with blades. 

• Like 1

The (6) mechanicals that I used look almost identical to that, but only use one o-ring.   I killed (6) bucks with them (1 with my compound and (5) with my 300 fps crossbow), and every one opened on contact.  I suspect two things contributed to the delayed opening in your case: Two o-rings, and the higher speed of you crossbow (you are probably close to 400 fps with that 10-point).

I am going with 100 grain NAPs next year.  They do not have o-rings but are made specifically for crossbows.  I hope they perform as well as my last (6) o-ring style ones did.   the results and performance of that broad head on your buck looks good to me.  If you want better, a crossbow specific one (like a NAP) may do the trick.       

Hey, nobody noticed my Willie Nelson autographed Blade magazine ? 

I got him right off his tour bus, to sign that , a custom made knife for him is on the cover . My nephew bartended at a hotel everyone stayed at while playing in town and would clue me in , Willie stayed on the bus in the parking lot, so I walked up and knocked on the window .....

I got Shania Twain , Alan Jackson , many Olympic skaters ,Faith Hill , met Jim Kelley to name a few .  The good old stalking days !

• Like 1