Do people really think I believe them?

biggamefish

Talking to a guy and he was one of these I see 10-12-14 pointers every year but never gets a shot guys. He was telling me how he feeds the deer from the spring time till hunting season but then he stops right before hunting season starts. I find it hard to believe that he just stops feeding them.

He has pics of deer on camera nothing huge but deer all the same.

some of these people are crazy he also slipped in that he keeps a salt block around. There are all types out there that is for sure.

When fellas get into the 12, 14 point thing I try to remind them... that there are very few typical 6x6 or 7x7 .. 12 and 14 pointers... most points above 10 are abnormal in nature or stickers... that would mean that during a hunting situation the buck would have to be standing at close range to be able to count the extra points let alone count points at all.. if th deer was close enough to count points.. he'd be close enough to kill... so that would tell ya the guy is full of ---- right away.

Talking to a guy and he was one of these I see 10-12-14 pointers every year but never gets a shot guys. He was telling me how he feeds the deer from the spring time till hunting season but then he stops right before hunting season starts. I find it hard to believe that he just stops feeding them.

He has pics of deer on camera nothing huge but deer all the same.

some of these people are crazy he also slipped in that he keeps a salt block around. There are all types out there that is for sure.

He's probably one of those guys that speeds and rolls through stop signs also. Bastids...........

Id turn him in to the DEC. Feeding and salt licks are illegal no matter what time of the year it is.

I totally agree with you and you stated the law exactly right. It doesn't matter what time of year it is feeding wild deer is illegal. Salt and mineral licks are illegal also.

When fellas get into the 12, 14 point thing I try to remind them... that there are very few typical 6x6 or 7x7 .. 12 and 14 pointers... most points above 10 are abnormal in nature or stickers... that would mean that during a hunting situation the buck would have to be standing at close range to be able to count the extra points let alone count points at all.. if th deer was close enough to count points.. he'd be close enough to kill... so that would tell ya the guy is full of ---- right away.

That right there is no lie! Good "point" Joe.

first he should be turned in for being stupid...I do wish there was a stupid law....being illegal to feed and salt block them... opening talking about it like it was an OK thing to do.... learns him a fine ...as far as the I've seen 10--12--14pt deer...well I'd personally have to give him some slack and disagree with you...I rarely get the big deer on camera but every single year I have at least 1 10 and 1 12 show up on our place with numerous 8's...not often do I get a shot on them and can count their tines well 8's seem to be easier...I don't take long bow shots and as in the past where I had a 10 behind a nice eight...the 8 came in for a good shot first....I had a 12pt that had 11 15/16 brow tins pop in less than 10 yrds away as I was holding full draw on a doe...never got a shot at him because I was trying not to drop my bow and pass out...guy 1 1/2 miles away got him a week later...so ya I believe he could be see what he says...at least during bow season...I don't remember you saying he said they were typical racks either...I don't know about you guys but I use binoculars every time I'm out

first he should be turned in for being stupid...I do wish there was a stupid law....being illegal to feed and salt block them... opening talking about it like it was an OK thing to do.... learns him a fine ...as far as the I've seen 10--12--14pt deer...well I'd personally have to give him some slack and disagree with you...I rarely get the big deer on camera but every single year I have at least 1 10 and 1 12 show up on our place with numerous 8's...not often do I get a shot on them and can count their tines well 8's seem to be easier...I don't take long bow shots and as in the past where I had a 10 behind a nice eight...the 8 came in for a good shot first....I had a 12pt that had 11 15/16 brow tins pop in less than 10 yrds away as I was holding full draw on a doe...never got a shot at him because I was trying not to drop my bow and pass out...guy 1 1/2 miles away got him a week later...so ya I believe he could be see what he says...at least during bow season...I don't remember you saying he said they were typical racks either...I don't know about you guys but I use binoculars every time I'm out

If you've had the buck on cam I guess you might know how many points he has and be able to pick out characteristics that you could recognize again... I was speaking more about the guys that say they see them while hunting each year... there is usually not enough time to count points in a hunting situation.. only time to determine big buck or little...main frame 8's and 10's aren't really hard to tell.. its the typical 12's and 14's that I was taking about.. given there are very few that even exist.. especially in NY

Some times a big boy walks in and you just can't get a shot and can count the tines but every year and he doesn't have a big deer to show for all these that he says he see. Even during gun season. I agree if you are counting tines during gun season you should be able to get a shot off not all the time but if you are seeing them every year all the time. Plus you have to take in the caracter when you are talking to them. Some people you can tell that they are filling your boot up with Sh**

I was bow hunting at my SIL's about 10 years ago . I saw a monster at about 80 - 90 yards away . I have no idea how many points it had . I was only 10' up in a treestand but my jaw was on the ground . Only ever saw it once . I wish I had the binos and a camera with me at the time !

I agree with joe. 12 and 14 are really rare especially clean typicals. By the fossil record most bucks are genetlically 8 pt. I think the guys that consisitalnt see huge deer are looking through a game farm fence. Of course everyone has a different idea of big.. Have a guest who always sees big bucks but never gets a shot or misses finially once shoot a huge half rack "his exact words via radio" only when we got there expecting to see a good heavy half rack that of whole would gross high 110 plus. We saw half a 8 that if whole would score 80 if that. Kind of made us re evaluate all his big buck stories from previous years.. I guess if you want to believe everything your told you better know what the guys reference is for size....

This guy is a piece of poop and is exactly the kind of guy that gives all us hunters a bad name. Hope he gets nailed by the DEC and never is allowed to disgrace any whitetail ever again. On the other hand, i can totally see the "i see 10-12-14 pointers every season. I do think he is stretching the every season part but i personally never even enter the woods without the Bushnells strapped to my chest. Every hunter is different when it comes to being able to recognize and count point on the fly. I personally am pathetic at it. I just look for Mature or Not and honestly can say that I have shot my last two big deer and they didn't have the points i thought when he was hit. One had less points and one had more. My buddy on the other hand can count them in a split second and is right on the money most of the time, even picking out split brows and stickers. I really just think it's a knack that some people just have and some don't. I don't OK maybe the 14's every year is Bull Schmidt..

yeah i hate guys that throw numbers out like that...

i shot a true 14 point, 7 on both sides... not a typical rack but a 14 point none the less

Look back at my first post.. I said true typical 6x6 and 7x7...they are extremely rare... how we got off so far is beyond me.. all I said was that beyond 10 points it becomes extremely hard to count point in a hunting situation.. and if you can count 12 or 14 points you are probably close enough to kill the deer... implying that if a guy is seeing those kinds of bucks each year .. he should have a wall full of them unless he is a horrible shot..

Look back at my first post.. I said true typical 6x6 and 7x7...they are extremely rare... how we got off so far is beyond me.. all I said was that beyond 10 points it becomes extremely hard to count point in a hunting situation.. and if you can count 12 or 14 points you are probably close enough to kill the deer... implying that if a guy is seeing those kinds of bucks each year .. he should have a wall full of them unless he is a horrible shot..

Right on . If a deer is close enough to count the points , he's close enough to shoot !

Don't get me wrong. I do think this particular guy is full of poop, but it respectfully disagree that if your seeing them you should be killing them, and i don't believe a deer needs to be in bow range to be able to count 14points or 12points. As far as killin' them goes, some people are just better at closing the deal than others. Some people just are not the hunters that most of us are and when the moment of truth comes they are either shaking like pudding or are not prepared enough to kill. It's after all not the same as throwing field points into your backyard target. Some guys don't even practice that. Last year i saw 4 different 10's an 11 and a 6x7 with split brows making him 15. I'm not proud of it but i didn't get any of them. (shot under the 15 from 40yrds) Thats huntin'..

Whaooooooo easy Joe... i was NOT EVEN responding to you first off secondly i was responding to the original poster which in this case WAS NOT you. no one is getting off topic, maybe you own topic but to be honest was just chiming in. is that ok with you cheif?

Hey Canuck, Was wondering where you been. I figured when you get quiet with the posts that must mean you got something good in the works. I know that your track record proves that there are mature deer out there every year for the viewin' and the killin'. I'm also pretty sure you can tell a 10 or 12 or 14 long before he steps into the danger zone.

I agree that you can tell a big deer before he steps in the danger zone. The only problem I have is when a guy says he sees them year after year hunting in the woods and can never get a shot off. I would think that over a five year period if you where seeing 10 12 14 pointers that at some point you would get a shot at them and have proof that they do exist. Exemple trail cam pics video etc.

I used to hunt with a guy like that. We put on a drive he could explain in great detail how many points color of rack etc. However he could never get a shot off. Well enough harrasment from us and he finally left the group. Comments like well stop counting and start shooting did well. Also he started making many more drives and less watching. Some guys are just so competitive, they need to be able to say they did better even if it is just seeing deer. There is no shame in teling the truth or not seeing monster bucks. I again put some of the blame on the now ever popular hunting shows. Everyone thinks they need to be like the phonies on there. However that being said, I have seen a big 12 point nice rack every day this month. He is grazing in the same field every morning at the same time. But, he is on the calendar my daughter got me for my birthday last year and it is on my office wall. I suspect hi spattern will change in he next 10 days or so and I will not see much of him after that.

Edited by bubba