Speaking of Texas Heart shot

Geno C

I would like to shoot this hunter in the A$$ if you ask me... This is a prime example of what not to do, one to the animal and two we all know it just adds fuel to the already engulfed flame of the ANTI fire...

Pathetic clip... not a big fan of these shots and this hunter owed that animal a second shot!

As a hunter that disgusts me. I think a lot of people forget that we owe the animals we hunt a certain level of respect. Not to mention the negative publicity for hunters everywhere. We'll never change the anti's minds but behavior like this has the potential to make up the minds of a lot of the previously undecided public. Especially the "hunter" laughing in the background.

• Like 1

That proves my point from the other thread. UNETHICAL ! What bothers me is all the so called hunters on this forum who make excuses for this type of shot. How many people claimed this shot kills just as quick as a heart shot? Well I guess not in this case. Go ahead and justify it now.

The texas heart shot part was fine.. it put the pig down immediately.. the part with the dog and not finishing the pig off is the disgusting part... the hunters irresponsibility after the initial shot.. which was a good one... is what is inexcusible. You missed your mark if this was an attempt to discredit the Texas Heart Shot... the clip would have been just as discusting had that been a lung shot.

So how many of the deer you guys have shot have flopped around for 10 seconds or more after a shot to the lungs or liver or when you spined it? That pig was dying and to sit here and make assumptions about what happened after the 10 or 15 seconds it showed is pretty asinine.

So you think all that after-shot activity was just the involuntary spasms of the animal's death throes. Maybe you had better take a second look. Yeah, that pig was dying all right and it was a lot more drawn out than it had to be because of irresponsible shot selection.

• Like 1

Well from what I can see on this I wouldn't call this a Texas heart shot. Whe someone uses that term I picture a straight away shot. Looked more like a trigger jerk by a jerk on a hard quartering away. At 85 yards there was plenty of window there to get into the boiler room. If that pig had been straight away he would have gone in a heap. That would be like hitting center of brisket on a quartering to shot. no vitals hit. That will be one messed up ham on that pig. It should have had a follow up shot and I could do without the whole dog sceen. I have never been a big fan of dog use on larger game but there are regions of the country that it is the norm. just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

I understand the argument as far as all the arteries in the rear area but isn't the concept of the "texas heart shot" to try and hit the heart through the rear? The pig was actually on a quarter turn when it was hit. If there would have been an exit round, it would have came out right under the pigs right ribcage. It's hard to see but I didn't really see an exit round since the pig fell on it's right but there would have been blood on the grass from his flopping around wouldn't it? If Slice "The Wonder Russell" is actually a Jack Russell Terrier then that is a piglet. No exit wound on such a small piglet means a very small caliber. I've seen clips online of people in the South taking out 250 lbs pigs with 17HMRs but yet they say 17HMR is not enough for a 50 lbs coyote. I guess feral pigs have become such a problem in the south that they threw ethics out the window.

So you think all that after-shot activity was just the involuntary spasms of the animal's death throes. Maybe you had better take a second look. Yeah, that pig was dying all right and it was a lot more drawn out than it had to be because of irresponsible shot selection.

Dont get me wrong, if the pig did not die soon after, it should have been finished off ASAP. I am just saying some people are acting like the video shows some kind of travesty, when in reality, the whole clip (minus the reruns and ads) is around 30 seconds total. Not a long time by any means, and an animal may very well flop around like that with a shot that might be more "ethical" by the standards of many that are bashing the video. I dont think the laughing and letting the dog go after the pig were good things, but not much different than another video recently posted with a dog humping a dead deer.

Well from what I can see on this I wouldn't call this a Texas heart shot. Whe someone uses that term I picture a straight away shot. Looked more like a trigger jerk by a jerk on a hard quartering away. At 85 yards there was plenty of window there to get into the boiler room. If that pig had been straight away he would have gone in a heap. That would be like hitting center of brisket on a quartering to shot. no vitals hit. That will be one messed up ham on that pig. It should have had a follow up shot and I could do without the whole dog sceen. I have never been a big fan of dog use on larger game but there are regions of the country that it is the norm. just not my cup of tea.

Good points Culver. After watching the video again, I agree, this wasnt even a Texas heart shot, it was a shot through the rear quarter that hit the spine.

For anyone to say that they know that was not an intentional shot makes me laugh. If the person was trying to make a hard quartering away shot and not shoot an animal through the rear why wouldn't have just waited for the animal to turn a little more? No that was intentional. And again the excuses abound, amazing. Your logic has been that you would take this shot "only if I had to". Well by that logic this video goes against that also. Why couldn't that idiot just wait for a better shot ? Was that pig about to run off ? Didn't look that way to me. That pig was totally unaware and was not about to run off or walk out of the shot. So how can you justify this? Does this qualify as an "only if there was no other shot moment"? No not at all. Oh but you can tell he jerked the shot right? Please

shots like this are crap... if you have a calm animal wait for him to turn broadside. you shoot your game in the ass thats your own deal, do it and lough and not have the decency to followup a 2nd shot and your a jackass...

im sure we all have put crap shots on game before, its what we do after that separates us from guys like this. i will not watch a deer or any animal suffer from my own doing with out me trying to do the right thing after. i have never shot a deer badly and had one stick around that i could have done something about BUT DIDNT

For anyone to say that they know that was not an intentional shot makes me laugh. If the person was trying to make a hard quartering away shot and not shoot an animal through the rear why wouldn't have just waited for the animal to turn a little more? No that was intentional. And again the excuses abound, amazing. Your logic has been that you would take this shot "only if I had to". Well by that logic this video goes against that also. Why couldn't that idiot just wait for a better shot ? Was that pig about to run off ? Didn't look that way to me. That pig was totally unaware and was not about to run off or walk out of the shot. So how can you justify this? Does this qualify as an "only if there was no other shot moment"? No not at all. Oh but you can tell he jerked the shot right? Please

I agree the only shot he had was at the rear end of this pig and he took it . How can anyone not see that.

And calling it as you see it isn't judging others, it's just what it is.

this may not be by true definition a texas heart shot but the intent was more then there! the problem is the THS was attempted when there was no need to hit the pig there. If there is a need to attempt a shot like that then you better revamp and come up with an extra strategy to define a better shot thats my opinion.

I agree...the guy was a dink...took a bad shot....but if you look at the video (especially the rewind) the vitals are visible. Any of you guys ever take a heart shot on a deer broadside and hit the shoulder...what are we talking...5-6 inches. I have. I just don't think we can impose our thought as gospel on the shot....taking it...poor....the results and actions after....beyond poor....I can't guarantee his intentions and I don't believe anyone else should either.

I repeat, you cant judge anything about how long the guy "let the animal suffer" because you are getting less than 30 seconds of the entire ordeal. For all we know, that pig was finished with another shot off right after the video stopped, and it died in less than 30 seconds from the original shot. How the hell is that letting the animal suffer any longer than what many of you feel would be an ethical shot? Ive hit deer in the lungs before and had them run for alot longer than 30 seconds before they expired.

You guys are just doing way too much assuming. The only things that can be taken away are that the guy chose what some (including myself) feel was not the best shot, he was an idiot for the laughing and letting the dog go, and although it wasnt the best shot it did put the animal on the ground. The rest is nothing but conjecture, intent on shot placement, ethics included.

Oh, and for those that say you have never made a bad shot, you are either full of it or havent hunted long enough. It happens to everyone at some point.

• Like 1

In this case there was no need to take a bad shot, the pig was in the clear and he only needed to wait for a better shot. Wasn't like the pig was going anywhere It seemed to me he was taking the shot at the rear end. There wasn't much of a shot at the lungs from what I could see atleast nothing I would shoot at. To shoot or not to shoot that was the situation. Patients

• Like 1

The guys problem was he let the dog go. He would be even dumber if he took a follow-up shot to end the pigs suffering while his dog is chewing on the pigs leg. Yes. He could call the dog back and then taken the shot. I know it's assuming but I doubt he did.