Speaking of Texas Heart shot

Geno C

Like?

Like you are guilty of the same thing you are bashing me for. How do you absolutely know that he "jerked the shot" ? You don't. I am making my opinion that it was an intentional B.S. shot because if he really was an ethical and humane hunter he would've waited for that pig to turn in a few seconds. The pig was not going anywhere so why wouldn't you wait for a better shot? That is my point.

Like you are guilty of the same thing you are bashing me for. How do you absolutely know that he "jerked the shot" ? You don't. I am making my opinion that it was an intentional B.S. shot because if he really was an ethical and humane hunter he would've waited for that pig to turn in a few seconds. The pig was not going anywhere so why wouldn't you wait for a better shot? That is my point.

And a good point it is..

• Like 1

See...you just don't get it. I never said he DID jerk the shot....I said it was possible. You on the other hand were acting as judge, jury and executioner. because you KNEW his intention was to shoot it in the ass. There in lies the difference. I hope you never get called on jury duty because you are incapable of telling the difference between fact and supposition.

WNYbuckhunter, I think the problem isn't making a bad shot. I agree that if you hunt long enough everyone does. The ethical issue here is making an effort to only take high percentage shots. Having a deer 10 yards away broadside and having him jump the string is one thing. Taking a shot at an animal that is facing away from you and hoping maybe you'll just happen to thread the needle and shoot it directly up the a-hole, is another thing altogether.

I'm not trying to piss you off Culver I just have strong opinions. Even though I don't agree with you I do respect your opinion

I don't want to get into a pissing match either. It wasn't my opinion on what I thought happened. I was just saying it was possible. The guy would only do that crap once at my hunting areas and he wouldn't be back. I don't agree with it and don't support it. I don't think we can condem this piss poor shot as intentional from a 1 minute video clip. I would have loved to hear the conversation before and after. That might very well give the proof I would need to call out the hangman...lol.

I really think we are on the same page on the view ofthis. It is the intention point we vary on.

WNYbuckhunter, I think the problem isn't making a bad shot. I agree that if you hunt long enough everyone does. The ethical issue here is making an effort to only take high percentage shots. Having a deer 10 yards away broadside and having him jump the string is one thing. Taking a shot at an animal that is facing away from you and hoping maybe you'll just happen to thread the needle and shoot it directly up the a-hole, is another thing altogether.

My comment on bad shots was directed only to those that claim they have never made a bad shot on an animal. My comment in the other thread still stands that a Texas heart shot, if done right, is perfectly capable of dropping a deer in its tracks and killing it just as quickly as a direct heart shot. Thats all, Im not advocating that everyone should shoot a deer in the ass.

I'm definitely not saying that I never make a bad shot and I understand that mistakes happen especially when hunting and I fault no hunter ever for making a bad shot or mistake. I just think as hunters we owe the animal and habitat our respect and when something bad happens we should do our best to correct or make better the situation (when and if possible of course). I think good woodsmanship starts with knowing when and where to take the shot.

I repeat, you cant judge anything about how long the guy "let the animal suffer" because you are getting less than 30 seconds of the entire ordeal. For all we know, that pig was finished with another shot off right after the video stopped, and it died in less than 30 seconds from the original shot. How the hell is that letting the animal suffer any longer than what many of you feel would be an ethical shot? Ive hit deer in the lungs before and had them run for alot longer than 30 seconds before they expired.

You guys are just doing way too much assuming. The only things that can be taken away are that the guy chose what some (including myself) feel was not the best shot, he was an idiot for the laughing and letting the dog go, and although it wasnt the best shot it did put the animal on the ground. The rest is nothing but conjecture, intent on shot placement, ethics included.

Oh, and for those that say you have never made a bad shot, you are either full of it or havent hunted long enough. It happens to everyone at some point.

your right judging the length of the video i for one can not 100% say he did not take a follow up shot but i will point out that with the laughing going on in the background and the dog running around the pig do you think majority can say there was no follow up shot? Do you think this inbred took a followup shot with his dog running around that pig? i dont think so...

and i know for a fact i personally never made a statement of myself not making a bad shot on game, not saying your pointing me out but i specifically stated in my last post that if given the chance to do the right thing and i was able to take an animal out on a followup, i would and always will...

My comment on bad shots was directed only to those that claim they have never made a bad shot on an animal. My comment in the other thread still stands that a Texas heart shot, if done right, is perfectly capable of dropping a deer in its tracks and killing it just as quickly as a direct heart shot. Thats all, Im not advocating that everyone should shoot a deer in the ass.

your right, you can also shoot a deer in the head and drop it with a .22 rim fire

But do you condone it?

oh and dont get me wrong, im not stating that a THS wont drop a deer in a hurry. i know for a fact many guys do it and pile a deer up faster then anything. Iam just saying and BTW my words dont carry much weight but its my opinion, i am saying that its a horrible shot to take. Not to mentions what a damn mess you have to clean after taking that shot lol. you would have to be a desperate individual to contemplate a THS with no other options apparently.

I took another look at that video, and came to the conclusion that while the hog was clearly in partial paralysis, there still was plenty of life left in him when they hit the off switch. So I wouldn't want to say just how quickly that critter died. All I know is that it was a pretty hard thing to look at. Not exactly the cleanest kill I have ever seen.

I agree Doc. No way of knowing. It sure didn't look like anything too vitall was hit. The one thing I wish I knew was where this was done. Not to condone it but I think the local mindset MAY play a role. In the areas where the pigs have exploded they are viewed as pests. They still should be taken cleanly in my opinion but after seeing this and many of the helicopter shooting videos I think they shoot them like I remember shooting rats at the dump when I was a kid.

Geno, i hope you realize the type of people you are dealing with on this site. That can try to justify something that is undefensible.

How typical of you Dave. Its pretty clear that I am not defending this guy, but if thats what you want to think, then go right ahead.

For all of you that are saying 15 seconds of flopping around is hard to watch, or is unethical, I ask again if its any more unethical than a deer that takes longer than that to bleed out or asphyxiate on its own blood after a lung shot?

Seeing as we are on the subject of ethically killing pigs, what say you about this? Is it ethical? I hear pigs squealing in misery....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE

I agree Doc. No way of knowing. It sure didn't look like anything too vitall was hit. The one thing I wish I knew was where this was done. Not to condone it but I think the local mindset MAY play a role. In the areas where the pigs have exploded they are viewed as pests. They still should be taken cleanly in my opinion but after seeing this and many of the helicopter shooting videos I think they shoot them like I remember shooting rats at the dump when I was a kid.

HAHAHA, funny we both thought of the helicopter thing

For all of you that are saying 15 seconds of flopping around is hard to watch, or is unethical, I ask again if its any more unethical than a deer that takes longer than that to bleed out or asphyxiate on its own blood after a lung shot?

Seeing as we are on the subject of ethically killing pigs, what say you about this? Is it ethical? I hear pigs squealing in misery....

For one thing, I'm not sure where you are getting the 15 seconds thing since the pig was still very alive and very active when the film was shut off.

And also I am not sure what your problem with the "hard to watch" comment is. I personally find it difficult to watch any animal in pain, and I would hope that isn't a real hard thing for anybody to understand. That's why I am so adamant about taking only responsible high percentage shots.

Unfortunately, I could not get your attached video to play.

• Like 1