NY Northern Zone Opener

njg0621

Hunted up in Saratoga for the Northern Zone opener and had some luck in the morning. I ended up seeing four does and a spike. Shot a doe at 25yds and she folded up within 20yds. Those RAGE 2 blades do some serious damage! The mosquitos were AWEFUL all day though, almost unbearable. Didn't see any deer in the evening but it was very warm out so I think they stayed put until after dark.

How did everyone else make out?

Edited by njg0621

Hunted up in Saratoga for the Northern Zone opener and had some luck in the morning. I ended up seeing four does and a spike. Shot a doe at 25yds and she folded up within 20yds. Those RAGE 2 blades do some serious damage! The mosquitos were AWEFUL all day though, almost unbearable. Didn't see any deer in the evening but it was very warm out so I think they stayed put until after dark.

How did everyone else make out?

Is there any kind of repellent or something like a thermocell that can control the mosquitos? I can't imagine hunting in a situation where the bugs were driving me nuts. To me, that is going to be a concern down here in the Southern Zone if the push the season back to October 1st. It's kind of hard to stay hidden from the deer when you are swinging and swatting at bugs .... lol.

I actually do have a Thermacell and let me tell you something THEY WORK! It is incredible how the skeeters dissapear when you turn that thing on. the problem is I don't like to run it alot becasue I feel liek the deer can smell it. I mean if I can smell it and see the smoke burning from it the deer have to be able to also. During turkey season I run it at all times.

• 2 weeks later...