knives

Dom

Bought my 1st knife in 1970. Needed a folder to carry while rabbit & occassional deer hunting.

I had no brand loyality, simply liked the looks of the Buck 110 folder.

It has stood the test of time and I still carry & use that kinife.

Few years ago I wanted a fixed blade, so I naturally looked at Buck knives.

Lot of great knives out there, of which the Buck brand is only one.

Unfortunately today most knives are made in China.

Edited by nyslowhand

Hum I'm a knife guy.That is i get 3 knife mags, have a few thousand posts on knife forums,was in Blade mag. 3 times and wrote a knife artical for Tactical Gear.

I have to many to count from productions to customs.

As I type this i have in my pocket a Strider RW 1 folder that cost more then a 870, and I had another maker custom grind the blade, more to my liking.

My normal EDC is a Hinderer XM 18. he has not taken orders for this knife in 3 years or more ,if you could get one you could sell it on ebay in minutes for a couple hundred profit.

I gut my deer with an Old Timer carbon steel Stockman that I paid ten bucks for used at a gun show, go figure....

I always have a Spyderco cliped on me hunting for any emergency use that may arise. i have a couple of Puma Whitehunters I'm fond of including a pre '64 ( the most sought after ones ,before a steel change).

I also from time to time break out my Marbles from 1,911 for those times when I want to go old school in the woods.

buck 110 is a fine knife. But many knives are still made in the USA !

true many US companies have some made over seas, those from Japan's Seki city are top shelf blades.

for a couple hundred bucks one can have a fixed blade custom made by a US maker. One that will out live you and be passed down for generations

Edited by Larry302

That nice post and no pics.................come on man!!

The last deer of the season got cut up today. Shot her the last day of ML season and let her hang to age while the weather was conducive. Used my Geno Denning #2 for the skinning and quartering chores. It was such a nice day outside boned and trimmed almost all of it in my shed while listening to some good tunes on the radio and puffed on a stogie.

Geno does a real nice job on his knives.

Denning.jpg

LOL. ya I don't own a digital camera... I use my kids when they are home from college, then I can't figure how to post them.....

Give me a month to figure out some family matters, go on our cruise , come home take down my stands, then I'll learn some camera skills and do some knife threads !

Nice to see another knife guy around here,sweet FB .

Oh btw I'm going to light up a stick now myself,knives, cigars and hunting your cut from the same jib .

Edited by Larry302

I'm a "craft" beer guy for the most part. Tonight Dodfish Head....8 % !

I've been trying whiskey the last year or so, right now I'm a fan of Bushmill on the rocks ... but this can lead to trouble I've found !

But i'm open to suggestions !

Edited by Larry302

Geeze, Larry...

All you need now is a little good bourbon or single malt scotch to drizzle down your throat...

Hold that thought... I'll be right up...<<smile>...

Makers Mark OR, a new favorite......Eagles Rare. Smoooooooooth stuff!!

Found the ER when in PA hunting in the early ML season. Had a dry party one night and made a B line into Wellsboro the next morning. Looking to try something different, the ER got the nod. We survived for another night, barely!!

Happy New Year, Dan.

I'm a "craft" beer guy for the most part. Tonight Dodfish Head....8 % !

I've been trying whiskey the last year or so, right now I'm a fan of Bushmill on the rocks .

But i'm open to suggestions !

I'm so far from being an expert............BUT, you probably would like that Eagles Rare. Somewhat pricy but you ain't guzzlin' this stuff!

I like it on the rocks. Give it 10 minutes to settle and then enjoy.

http://www.eaglerare.com/10_year_old

Check it out!

Might be a good time of the year to post up pictures of all these knives since we can't hunt deer for awhile......................................Hint!!

Here ya' go.....

IMG_2310.jpg

Notice the fine crafted scales, the feel of the cordura sheath, and its spare blade holder; all in one fine package..... :bye:

I have an old military issue knife that a lot of people have remarked is a bit on the huge side ....... lol. However, that old monster (about a 6" blade) does everything and is totally indestructible. I have used it for everything from cleaning squirrels to hacking limbs when clearing shooting lanes. It has some of the best steel for putting on, and holding, a razor sharp edge and even after some rather abusive use, it still stays sharp. The only change that I had to make was that I had to grind down the extra cutting edge on the back side to avoid cutting myself when gutting deer.

I have an old military issue knife that a lot of people have remarked is a bit on the huge side ....... lol. However, that old monster (about a 6" blade) does everything and is totally indestructible. I have used it for everything from cleaning squirrels to hacking limbs when clearing shooting lanes. It has some of the best steel for putting on, and holding, a razor sharp edge and even after some rather abusive use, it still stays sharp. The only change that I had to make was that I had to grind down the extra cutting edge on the back side to avoid cutting myself when gutting deer.

A little Rambo-ish?

You goin' with the bandanna & face paint also........

I kind of suspected that...................... <grin>

I think it's kind of funny when I see some guy struggling with a little toy knife. I tend to go with a "one knife does all" approach. I have yet to find a full-sized hunting knife to be any sort of unnecessary burden. And if it's built with an indestructible design ...... so much the better.

I almost always use a Buck 110 that I got for my 15th birthday (32 years ago...WOW) Im kind of a knife guy so over the years I have bought a ton of knives with the intent of retiring the old 110, but I always go back to it. For me its just the right size, for gutting deer, and holds an edge. My second favorite knife is a Camillus lock back. I dont know the model# but it is a hair smaller and thinner than the buck, with the same brass and wood handle design. The camillus stays on my fanny pack all the time.

Edited by ants

Ants, don't lose that knife ! I have a Scrade lb7 (110 clone) that I've had since the 70's,gutted my first buck and traveled all over N.America with me,I lost it or a few days once.

Now its in my safe.

Doc. I've got nothing against big blades,trust me I tend to carry them a lot. But I dress my deer with the 2 inch blade of my slip joint. A Dr. will take a body apart with a smaller one then that. Heck my daughter did that in her Gross anatomy class .

If you fellas think the steel on those old military and box store knoves are good, you should try some D2, VG10, sv30, 154cm of late. But then heat treat, edge bevel,and blade grinds ( flat,hollow, semi,concave,convex etc.) are what really make a knife what it is.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/grind.html

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=bio.paulBos#

Edited by Larry302

My needs for an all-around hunting knife includes its occasional use as a hatchet when required .....lol. That requires a bit of weight and an indestructible strength. The fact is that mine is usually used in that fashion more often than just a gutting knife.