Headshots are just not right

bigbuckhunter

As Ive said about those pics before, it does not look like an intentional head shot in any way shape or form. To me, it looks like someone tried a quartering to shot and the deer was looking up at them and either moved its head into the arrow's path, or the guy made a bad shot.

Lots of non lethal area though.

As Ive said about those pics before, it does not look like an intentional head shot in any way shape or form. To me, it looks like someone tried a quartering to shot and the deer was looking up at them and either moved its head into the arrow's path, or the guy made a bad shot.

Lots of non lethal area though.

I'm thinking it's hard to tell by a picture what the intended shot was no matter where the animal was hit. Moved his head into the arrows path? Could have just as easily moved his head so that the leathal area, as small as it is, was missed; couldn't he?

I'm thinking that the only thing we can tell with certainty is where the animal was hit; anything else is just a guess.

Edited by adirondackbushwhack

I'm thinking it's hard to tell by a picture what the intended shot was no matter where the animal was hit. Moved his head into the arrows path? Could have just as easily moved his head so that the leathal area, as small as it is, was missed; couldn't he?

I'm thinking that the only thing we can tell with certainty is where the animal was hit; anything else is just a guess.

Yes, he could have moved his head around to the side to lick himself right as the guy released the arrow, causing it to hit the deer's nose instead of the vitals. He also could have been looking up at the hunter in the tree and the hunter just pulled the shot a bit, striking the deer in the nose. All you have to do is look at the angle that the arrow is sticking out of the deer to be able to tell quite a few things about the shot, other than it was just plain bad.

Im thinking you should use a little common sense rather than just try to be a smartass.

Yes, he could have moved his head around to the side to lick himself right as the guy released the arrow, causing it to hit the deer's nose instead of the vitals. He also could have been looking up at the hunter in the tree and the hunter just pulled the shot a bit, striking the deer in the nose. All you have to do is look at the angle that the arrow is sticking out of the deer to be able to tell quite a few things about the shot, other than it was just plain bad.

Im thinking you should use a little common sense rather than just try to be a smartass.

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass just factual.

I would put that as a hard quartering to shot and someone rushed the shot. By that I mean didn't wait for a broad side or a less angle quartering to shot. Who knows what actually happend though. I have shot deer with my bow and said shit that was a bad shot and the deer goes down withing sight. Get up to the deer and it was a good lung shot. It is so hard to tell eactly where the arrow goes untill you find the deer.

The possibilities are endless. Even with perfection on the archery range, we don't really have control over what the deer will do when the arrow is on it's way. There's a lot of other things that can happen too ..... such as a 25 yard shot that I took years ago that was heading right for the vitals but somehow found one little twig that I had missed when I brushed out the shooting lane. I watched the arrow deflect badly and the deer run into the bushes. I thought I clearly saw the arrow miss the deer, but what I didn't see was that it passed through the deer's neck cutting the jugular (that was back when my luck occasionally ran good). Later when I went out to see if I could find my arrow and assess the damage to it, a slight movement to my left caught my eye about 15 yards away. Yup, there was my deer with his head halfway up looking at me. At that point I completely lost it. I panicked and tried to make a quick shot and I missed. Hard to believe .... 15 yards just isn't something that I would normally miss, but I was out of control. Slammed hard with buck fever! .... lol. The deer staggered up to it's feet and headed over the rise weaving back and forth and almost falling over backward. 150 yards later, I found him.

So anyway, when an arrow winds up in a place that we would never expect, sometimes it's just the way things happen. These little "accidents" when coupled with the fact that deer just simply do not stand still like our archery range targets can cause some strange things to happen.

In the case of these pictures ..... who knows what happened. It is even possible that somebody tried to shoot him in the head ...... lol. It's not really something you can tell from a few pictures.

The possibilities are endless. Even with perfection on the archery range, we don't really have control over what the deer will do when the arrow is on it's way. There's a lot of other things that can happen too .....

In the case of these pictures ..... who knows what happened. It is even possible that somebody tried to shoot him in the head ...... lol. It's not really something you can tell from a few pictures.

That's the point I was trying to make, although I apparently done a poor job of it, when I PO'd WNY.

The buck in the pictures that i posted had the arrow broken off in it's cheek . The tip of the arrow was down in the neck . When i touched the broken end , I could see the movement in the neck . I have no idea what happened when when the bow hunter shot . He may have taken a bad shot . The deer may have moved . We can only speculate .

When I removed the arrow , the broadhead had a small wire attached . I had no idea what it was . I was told that it was a Game Tracked broadhead where a string is attached and you follow the string . Apparently that didn't work ..

Here is the Broadhead

post-132-0-00177400-1318510025_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-25080400-1318510039_thumb.jpg

That is exactly what that is Eddie. it is a collar that goes on in betweent he broadhead and the arrow shaft. Those things were famous for knotting up and effecting the arrow flight. My cousin actually had one damn near stop the arrow in flight to the point the arrow turned over. Wouldn't surprise me if THAT is the reason for the bad shot. Those things were just one more gimmick to make up for practice and developing tracking ability.

That's the point I was trying to make, although I apparently done a poor job of it, when I PO'd WNY.

I wasnt POed. Of course anything is possible, my opinion was based upon what was more probable though. I couldnt imagine anyone being dumb enough to try and shoot a buck, thats looking up at them, in the forehead. With a bow no less. Probably just someone that pulled the shot.

:spiteful: I did this to my target tonight just for you guys...

2011-10-11_18-41-38_666.jpg

Looks like a first day of gun buck in Broome county, antlers shot of, shot full of holes, and an arrow sticking out of its head from the bone head who tried to take a head shot on it the day before. :D It never amazes me the shots bow hunters try to take. We shot a billy buck first day back a few yrs ago that had an arrow to one side of the shoulderblades down through the back strap and was sticking out its brisket.. We sat there forever trying to figure out what that white thing on its back was before it dawned on us and I told my brother to shoot him.

Edited by erussell

Well there you go. Buckrub has solved this debate with his very insightful comment. Since he has the last word on ethics np sense discussing a gut shot deer or one with a leg blown off.

No sense discussing any of that... as long as the deer dies quickly its a successful hunt IDC where you shot it

and as for the anti hunters they are mindless idiots and will hate you REGARDLESS of where you shoot the animal

No sense discussing any of that... as long as the deer dies quickly its a successful hunt IDC where you shot it

and as for the anti hunters they are mindless idiots and will hate you REGARDLESS of where you shoot the animal

I agree a quick kill is always the best---and a win

I hate seeing a wounded animal. I really try for the highest perentage shots I can. That said, bad things happen even on the highest percentage shots. Once you hit that trigger or release that string and the projectile is on it's way, we can't control it. There is only one way to assure that no bad shots are made, shots that some feel shouldn't be taken, good shots that went bad....that would be to stop all hunting so there aren't any shots. I don't want to see that train leave the station. I am not on the band wagon that there are so many piss poor hunters out there. I no there are some in our ranks but not the numbers that some of the stories on the site would lead you to think. Let's face it it makes for pretty boring reading to tell a story about how you saw a deer and nothing was wrong with it (no arrows sticking out of it), or the hunter that was parked in a state land parking area that didn't litter, or the guy who still hunted to your stand location-saw you -gave you an "I'm sorry wave"- and then detoured around you. Human nature is to sensationalize the extremes but I think the vast majority of our ranks are upstanding folks that occassionaly have bad things happen.

So which is it? Headhshots are unethical and anyone that takes on is a moron, or you dont care where they shot it as long as it dies quickly? Im confused..... :mda: