1st time Turkey Chaser

Liquidonyx

Hello,

New to the site and to Turkey hunting I’m located in Clifton Park. I was hoping to leverage the knowledge base here for some pointers and thoughts on hunting public in the area. Honestly 90% of what I’m looking to accomplish is just get out the door and into the woods. I’ve been reading about Ushers RD and Drake state forest as potential areas just to get into the woods. However, I was fishing East Caroga lake Monday and crossed a trio of Turkey tracks. Decided to expand my range a bit. In theory, with zero practical application, think I’ve got all the basic’s covered for dress, fire arms and I’m working on my calls. Now seems to be the time prospecting locations and I wanted your input on hunting public land local to CP, and or heading out into the ADK park. 

I’ll probably have million followers-up questions..

Edited by Liquidonyx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liquidonyx said:

Hello,

New to the site and to Turkey hunting I’m located in Clifton Park. I was hoping to leverage the knowledge base here for some pointers and thoughts on hunting public in the area. Honestly 90% of what I’m looking to accomplish is just get out the door and into the woods. I’ve been reading about Ushers RD and Drake state forest as potential areas just to get into the woods. However, I was fishing East Caroga lake Monday and crossed a trio of Turkey tracks. Decided to expand my range a bit. In theory, with zero practical application, think I’ve got all the basic’s covered for dress, fire arms and I’m working on my calls. Now seems to be the time prospecting locations and I wanted your input on hunting public land local to CP, and or heading out into the ADK park. 

I’ll probably have million followers-up questions..

I don't know if I would go north, if you're looking for high turkey density.  Albany / Greene / Schoharie counties have alot of public.  Partridge run outside of Renslearville leaps to mind.  Grampy knows that piece better than me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Welcome to the turkey hunting community. Chasing gobblers is VERY addicting.  

I've got a couple areas where I can bring someone along.  

I'm in Old Chatham.  Probably 45 min from CP.  

Hey new guy. Take mowin up on his generous offer. He’s taken other newbies out before and got them on birds   Very nice gesture again mowin. Good on you !  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mowin said:

Welcome to the turkey hunting community. Chasing gobblers is VERY addicting.  

I've got a couple areas where I can bring someone along.  

I'm in Old Chatham.  Probably 45 min from CP.  

Thank you! I sent you a private message :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Hey new guy. Take mowin up on his generous offer. He’s taken other newbies out before and got them on birds   Very nice gesture again mowin. Good on you !  

21 minutes ago, Liquidonyx said:

Thank you! I sent you a private message :)

Heck yeah! I am just an average at best turkey hunter, as I have never been really super, passionate about hunting them. And our turkey population here on the farm, in recent years, is a fraction of what it was years ago. Many others here have a ton more skill than I for turkeys. mowin included!

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Heck yeah! I am just an average at best turkey hunter, as I have never been really super, passionate about hunting them. And our turkey population here on the farm, in recent years, is a fraction of what it was years ago. Many others here have a ton more skill than I for turkeys. mowin included!

Ok, now the pressure is on.  Lol. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Liquidonyx said:

Many thanks! Can’t argue with any feedback I’ve gotten from Mowin! Thought I had the basic’s....I got some misses! 

You've got the basics. All the rest comes from experience.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liquidonyx said:

Many thanks! Can’t argue with any feedback I’ve gotten from Mowin! Thought I had the basic’s....I got some misses! 

Might I cordially recommend watching The Hunting Public spring turkey tour?  Good show.  They do an excellent job calling, and explain what they're doing usually.

I’ve got a couple Laundry list items...

I need to get a good turkey choke, so I did some searching here and online. Seems like that answer can vary widely depending on the gun, choke/ammo combination and....the shooter :). I’m going to grab a decent choke for my 870 and try a few different turkey loads and see how we make out.

I’ve started to look at a few different areas that I’m welcome any input on...Ushers Rd, Daketown State Park and Partridge Run. Right now, I’m just playing with maps. At some point I’m going to need to put boots on the ground for each of these locations. Is it best to pre-scout for scale or just scout ahead of the season? Would that be late April? 

I’ve also connected with Mowin who’s graciously offered to teach me the ropes! 

• Like 2

I'm familiar with Partridge Run. Been hunting it now and then, for over 50 years. Though it's been a few years since I have hunted there, I have taken some spring birds from there in the past. Along with a couple of trophy (for 4H) bucks too. PR is a good sized chunk of land, about 4,500 acres. And it is nowhere near as crowded there now, as in years past!!! Plenty of room, and always a fairly good turkey population there too. Put your boots on the ground around the Fawn Lake area first. The flats, just under the ridges, is always a good area. Then check out the upper side from Ridge Rd. That will be very steep! But not many hunters come in from that side, and I always found some turkeys roosted up on the ridge. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

There's so many different chokes out there, and as many loads. You can go broke trying different combinations.   Don't get the tightest choke available, as too tight can constrict the shot to a point that when exiting the bbl, your pattern suffers.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mowin said:

There's so many different chokes out there, and as many loads. You can go broke trying different combinations.   Don't get the tightest choke available, as too tight can constrict the shot to a point that when exiting the bbl, your pattern suffers.  

Jellyhead tube and Winchester XRs in 5’s should be pretty dang good and won’t break the bank .Dial in on big sheet of cardboard to thickest part of pattern density. Then the splatter targets 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Jellyhead tube and Winchester XRs in 5’s should be pretty dang good and won’t break the bank .Dial in on big sheet of cardboard to thickest part of pattern density. Then the splatter targets 

I've either have a jellyhead or one from Drurry outdoors. Can't remember it's been that long, lol. 

Been using longbeard ammo with great results. 

22 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I would also say be careful with the new loads that are designed for Long Distance like the Longbeard Ammo. I missed a Gobbler last Spring that was too Close with the Longbeard Ammo. My Fault.. Took a long time to get over that miss. Shot right over the Top- clean miss. 

That goes both ways tho.  That tighter pattern gives me that added 10 yards.  

It's the age old debate of too tight of a pattern.  

There's not a set in stone answer on what's better. One has to make that judgement on his own.  

• Like 1

A couple of quick thoughts: There is are several cd's called Real Turkeys (I, II, and III).  "Number I- The Best Known Calls" is a very good overview and is great to practice with. I used to keep it in my car and practice on the way to work. Real Turkeys III is also good. They are recordings of actual turkeys, and sound much better to me than the recordings of guys making turkey talk. 

You also might consider using one of the higher density shot loads, like Hevi-Shot 7's. I have tested them and they are quite capable of putting a dense pattern on target to 50 yards and still have adequate penetration. I "accidentally" killed one at 57 yards (long story), and it went down like it was hit by a huge flyswatter. Lots of other high density shot loads out there, with some down to #9 shot size. Those seem too small to me but I have not tested them for penetration.

I tried to message you, but I do not know if it went thru.

I’m local to the area, I wouldn’t waste time with Ushers rd or Daketown. I suggest looking on tax maps and finding areas to knock on doors for permission. I’ve never had much trouble getting access for turkeys. 

My 870 always did great with the Rem choke turkey choke. 

10 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Indeed-- I always try to Shoot at 35 yards or less.  Now, I hear of 80 yard Shots with TSS. 

Guy I know shoots TSS.  I've seen his pattern. At 70 yrds, a flea would have a tuff time surviving.  

And that brings up another topic of how far is too far? 

Some are loving the long range wack em and stack em choke/loads. Others want to use there skills, or luck, to get the gobblers within 40yrds or less.  

My farthest shot was 50 yrds.  Honestly, I didn't think it was that far. I like em under 40.  My sweet spot for my rig is 15-30 yrds.  

I’ve mentioned before I won’t hunt with XR loads as pattern is too tight. I put on paper at 65 and had 92 in a 10” circle and plywood target was on jumped up and fell over . So I shoot tss 7’s and the pattern opened up a bit. Won’t kill a bird outside 35’ish as I don’t consider ive totally fooled him yet. But 7 yards was a wee bit too close last year opening day. 30 yards on 2nd bird and nary a flop again 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ve mentioned before I won’t hunt with XR loads as pattern is too tight. I put on paper at 65 and had 92 in a 10” circle and plywood target was on jumped up and fell over . So I shoot tss 7’s and the pattern opened up a bit. Won’t kill a bird outside 35’ish as I don’t consider ive totally fooled him yet. But 7 yards was a wee bit too close last year opening day. 30 yards on 2nd bird and nary a flop again 

WOW...Your pattern is definitely better than mine.  Using #5 longbeard XR's my farthest effective range is 50.  At 40yrds, I've got around 30 pellets in head/neck.  15 yrds or less, and she tightens up real quick.  

But I'm like you, I like to fool em good.  But when he gets to 20 yrds, that's close enough. 

• Like 2

I’m a fellow Saratoga county er, I’m north of Saratoga and have never heard of the places you’re talking about. My advice is head north. Less birds but way less people and pressure. If you ever hear people talking about the heydays of turkey hunting 15-20yrs ago its still in its prime in many areas of the Adirondacks . Birds still talk and like coming to calls.

As for chokes and ammo don’t over think it. Any full or extra full choke will kill birds just fine. The key is finding a choke and shell combo that will give you a nice even pattern. Some guys like super tight patterns and shooting exotic metal blends I like a nice even pattern and lead. My 20ga and 12ga “although it’s went unused for a few years” both have a quality full choke in them and I shoot a high brass #6 game load with excellent results.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farflung said:

A couple of quick thoughts: There is are several cd's called Real Turkeys (I, II, and III).  "Number I- The Best Known Calls" is a very good overview and is great to practice with. I used to keep it in my car and practice on the way to work. Real Turkeys III is also good. They are recordings of actual turkeys, and sound much better to me than the recordings of guys making turkey talk. 

You also might consider using one of the higher density shot loads, like Hevi-Shot 7's. I have tested them and they are quite capable of putting a dense pattern on target to 50 yards and still have adequate penetration. I "accidentally" killed one at 57 yards (long story), and it went down like it was hit by a huge flyswatter. Lots of other high density shot loads out there, with some down to #9 shot size. Those seem too small to me but I have not tested them for penetration.

I tried to message you, but I do not know if it went thru.

Sorry, I didn’t see any PMs