How does your garden grow

crappyice

4 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

What are you looking to plant biz?

I want to plant stuff my wife and I actually eat. I'm thinking tomatoes, cucumbers,  bell peppers, and green squash (for her). Maybe some fruit?

• Like 1

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I want to plant stuff my wife and I actually eat. I'm thinking tomatoes, cucumbers,  bell peppers, and green squash (for her). Maybe some fruit?

If you want peaches let me know! I have about 7 peach trees (under 0-2 years) that I, going to get rid of. If youd like one or two let me know. Also I have grapes if youd like to try that. Might even be able to get you some clippings for apples and pears 

2 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

If you want peaches let me know! I have about 7 peach trees (under 0-2 years) that I, going to get rid of. If youd like one or two let me know. Also I have grapes if youd like to try that. Might even be able to get you some clippings for apples and pears 

Thanks, but do they grow high? i don't want anything to grow higher than my 6ft fence that i'm putting the garden next to. This garden might be a 1-year wonder for me assuming i'm back at work in nyc next spring/summer.

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Thanks, but do they grow high? i don't want anything to grow higher than my 6ft fence that i'm putting the garden next to. This garden might be a 1-year wonder for me assuming i'm back at work in nyc next spring/summer.

You can prune them to stay under 6 feet. The good thing about trees is they dont require much work other than a few days a year in the spring. Vegtables are way more work for me to be honest. Wont bother me if you don't want them though

Edited by ATbuckhunter

9 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

You can prune them to stay under 6 feet. The good thing about trees is they dont require much work other than a few days a year in the spring. Vegtables are way more work for me to be honest. Wont bother me if you don't want them though

I appreciate the offer, but i think I'll just stick with veggies and maybe some berries this year.

On a side note, do you plant any peach trees where you hunt? wonder if deer eat them like apples?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I appreciate the offer, but i think I'll just stick with veggies and maybe some berries this year.

On a side note, do you plant any peach trees where you hunt? wonder if deer eat them like apples?

I dont have any, just pears and apples. I do know that deer love to eat peaches just as much as apples. Only problem is they tend to drop before the season rolls around

• Like 1

Pushed this soil test thing into the garden ground. First was pH, read 7 everywhere. Either all that Lime worked or I was ok anyway.

2nd pic is moisture which shows right In the middle, good.

3rd pic is sunlight. Full sun as I knew midday like this. This spot is shady all morning then sun all afternoon.

83b89ed26c1d80f9f8aeb3b630f00c05.jpg&key=35e5315fbc76de24935939496c674833c8a8103b880c2e00a0f7b87c8a73bef6
ba3bdbeeb365ebffd1a07e50a08dc30c.jpg&key=b2eae14930ad828ba4344b26d3be07969aae21863bb8838b4031dfb619c97739
64c8c576bb89307ce0307461e290a502.jpg&key=6d1973d10a30c3d52d936ecfa36547c18fdbbb28c66004cc4a8e9cd5202a81f7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gave it a good turnover again today after those soil tests.

407a658c3748ecc81bcb7df331082dbb.jpg

Gave it a good turnover again today after those soil tests.

407a658c3748ecc81bcb7df331082dbb.jpg&key=f936ba4a8042549f0d7a83cd671f7519f6dfc4fd658e5bffc80c3d5c88e1e0d4

Throw a cantaloupe or two in there. When we first started our garden years ago, the cantaloupe grew best-never able to get them like that again even with soil treatments. Warning...they are vines and will spread quite a bit

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Throw a cantaloupe or two in there. When we first started our garden years ago, the cantaloupe grew best-never able to get them like that again even with soil treatments. Warning...they are vines and will spread quite a bit

Hmm, interesting. Would have never thought of cantaloupes. Although as a kid i helped my grandpa across the street with his huge garden and we had massive watermelons.

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

they do spread like a bastard

• Like 1

e9405a0778a6618b3d3f349e152c7b89.jpg
Jalapeños are showing up (lower right section between basil and tomato) and finally had an eggplant or two break through(top right). Cukes are going silly, cherry tomatoes survived the transplant and the basil I bothering me still.

Turned the soil in the bed with some granulated lime and cover with weed blocker.

• Like 1

29af042b928b548c45266bfe7faf372a.jpg

So I think I’m going with 16x6, so 96sqft. I’d like to plant tomatoes, cucumbers, green squash, and peppers. How many can I do? Is there a site or calculator so I know how many to buy? I think I’ll buy plants next weekend to plant.

Maybe if I have room add a pumpkin and/or watermelon?

29af042b928b548c45266bfe7faf372a.jpg&key=5ae3160cc5aa19be663279c11f90eabf9ecc45b3c470e3ce2de2a2a8c2e9e4d5

So I think I’m going with 16x6, so 96sqft. I’d like to plant tomatoes, cucumbers, green squash, and peppers. How many can I do? Is there a site or calculator so I know how many to buy? I think I’ll buy plants next weekend to plant.

Often less is more...I like to put my cukes along the fence to help support a trellis. Keep the squash back there too. The peppers should go on the front away from the fence as they don’t grow as wild as the tomatoes...2’ minimum in between the tomato plants is my go to move

29af042b928b548c45266bfe7faf372a.jpg&key=5ae3160cc5aa19be663279c11f90eabf9ecc45b3c470e3ce2de2a2a8c2e9e4d5

Pumpkin vines take off like wild fire...you may run the risk of them taking over that space.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Often less is more...I like to put my cukes along the fence to help support a trellis. Keep the squash back there too. The peppers should go on the front away from the fence as they don’t grow as wild as the tomatoes...2’ minimum in between the tomato plants is my go to move

I should note there’s a slight slope to fence. So they would be on lower side so more water?

Maybe the better question is how many plants is realistic to consume. I know I probably have more space than needed. But am I looking at 2 plants per veggie or 4?

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

29af042b928b548c45266bfe7faf372a.jpg

Biz, I would get:

2 cukes, (6’ x 6’) Leave on ground, not on trellis.  Good place to use a plastic mulch as a weed barrier. 

4 tomatoes: 1 grape, 1 beefsteak, 2 regular like Jet Star or Superstar - if they sell single plants. Early Boy is a good one too.   If they have any heirloom tomatoes, get those, much better flavor.   If not sold in single plants, get 6 of your favorite variety. (6’ x 6’)   The grape tomatoes are delicious and prolific growers.  Use one wire tomato cage for each plant. 

1 green squash (zucchini) (6’ x 4’)  One plant will produce a bunch!  Unless you REALLY like green squash and lots of it!  Leave on ground, no trellis.  It is a good idea to hill the plant if you can.  

6 peppers - If you can get 1 or 2 hot peppers that would be fun too.  

I would also get a can of Bonide “Tomato-Potato Dust”, it is a good all purpose garden insecticide and fungicide.  If you want to go organic, you’ll have to do some research, it is not my forte.  Ask at the garden center, they will have something they will want to push.    Also, 10 pounds of 5-10-5 fertilizer, or a box of Miracle Grow.   If you want organic fertilizer “Neptune’s Harvest” is highly regarded. 

If you want to add a pumpkin, 1 plant will produce enough pumpkins for decoration around the house, but it doesn’t look like you have enough room.  It is better not to squeeze in too much, so you can walk in there and weed and cultivate. 

Good Luck!  It will be a nice “Covid19 Victory Garden”!  

• Like 1