How does your garden grow

crappyice

20 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

We did strawberry last year and they were incredible ,half the size of the genetic mutants in the grocery store but 10x the flavor.  

yeah i guess that's what I meant. bang for buck. we did some blueberries up north without a lot of success, but they were awesome when we lived down south.

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

yeah i guess that's what I meant. bang for buck. we did some blueberries up north without a lot of success, but they were awesome when we lived down south.

We're awaiting a couple blueberry bushes vie the mail now . Our black berry went in last year so those should have fruit this year . Our raspberries kicked ass last year . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Otto said:

If you use weed killer etc. on your lawn, I would not use grass clippings for garden mulch.  The residual chemicals will leech right into your food source.   If you never apply anything to your lawn, it would be ok.  Personally, I never have done that.  I just weed.  Actually now, I just use containers for a few herbs and tomato plants. Everything else, I get from my our farm.   Almost all my gardening now is for flowers. 

Right I forgot to mention that. I dont use any weed killer on my lawn or anything, and I never will for that reason

I'm set on my choices for veggies, but do i throw in strawberries?

No, they will take 3 years to establish and can be a lot of work.

Plus, per your plan you don't have enough room unless you drop something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No, they will take 3 years to establish and can be a lot of work.Plus, per your plan you don't have enough room unless you drop something.

While that may be true if you start from the bare roots, many of the shops carry , “ready to produce” plants as I recall. I remember harvesting the same year we planted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did strawberry last year and they were incredible ,half the size of the genetic mutants in the grocery store but 10x the flavor.  

You ever find the wild strawberries? They are small like blueberries and are often a bit tart but delicious.
Those and wine berries are my favorite foraged berries.

You ever find the wild strawberries? They are small like blueberries and are often a bit tart but delicious.
Those and wine berries are my favorite foraged berries.

My Dad’s hunting land has wild raspberries and blackberries. Every year I go in the summer to check cams and they are there. Under powerlines which get sprayed by the electric company though. I never tried to eat them.

16 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

We're awaiting a couple blueberry bushes vie the mail now . Our black berry went in last year so those should have fruit this year . Our raspberries kicked ass last year . 

it's possible my location just didn't do well, I remember my house in buffalo the blueberries did ok, but they were in a spot that got sun all day long. Obviously sun all day is good for any fruiting plant, but the my current 2 bushes still get sun 75% of the time and just haven't done well. maybe i was the lucky bastard who got 2 females. iirc blueberries need pairs too. i could be wrong on that though.

30 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

My Dad’s hunting land has wild raspberries and blackberries. Every year I go in the summer to check cams and they are there. Under powerlines which get sprayed by the electric company though. I never tried to eat them.

what child of the outdoors doesn't eat wild raspberries and blackberries!?

On 4/27/2020 at 5:37 PM, Otto said:

No, they will take 3 years to establish and can be a lot of work.

Plus, per your plan you don't have enough room unless you drop something.

We got fruit the first year we planted them .

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

We got fruit the first year we planted them .

I am going off of commercial plants we use on our farm.  I’m sure there are varieties that produce in year one. 

Main issues for biz  are he won’t have room for strawberries unless he drops something like the squash and the cukes, and he said the garden might be a one time thing for him being home more often instead of at an office working in NYC.  No sense putting in a perennial plant if it will be lawn again in 2021.  

• Like 1

Support your local greenhouses and nurseries!  Plants at Home Depot and Lowes are usually from Canada where the greenhouses get free heat from the government. 

That was my original plan but Will they have all those varieties I see online?

Re HD and Lowe’s is that a bad or good thing?

I am going off of commercial plants we use on our farm.  I’m sure there are varieties that produce in year one. 
Main issues for biz  are he won’t have room for strawberries unless he drops something like the squash and the cukes, and he said the garden might be a one time thing for him being home more often instead of at an office working in NYC.  No sense putting in a perennial plant if it will be lawn again in 2021.  

Yea the strawberries was an idea for my wife but she doesn’t care much. She’d rather the veggies

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That was my original plan but Will they have all those varieties I see online?

Re HD and Lowe’s is that a bad or good thing?

HD and Lowes, their plants are ok, not #1 quality.   For me the main issue is the local economic impact is not the same as if you purchase from a local grower.   I think your local grower should have what you are looking for, and it will helpful to be open to their suggestions as the what varieties will work best.  Also, without a doubt, they will have someone on site that will know what the different types are and how they grow, etc.  Try finding that at Home Depot. 

Example, you said you wanted cucumbers - do you want Chinese cucumbers, cucumbers for pickles, a climbing variety, or just a regular slicer??   They may have 10 choices, or they may have one.   If you want a very particular type of cucumber there is still time to get seeds and choose one of hundreds of types and plant those in the ground,  but if you want a plant that is started already, you may only get to choose from 3,4 , 5 or so selections. 

• Like 1

HD and Lowes, their plants are ok, not #1 quality.   For me the main issue is the local economic impact is not the same as if you purchase from a local grower.   I think your local grower should have what you are looking for, and it will helpful to be open to their suggestions as the what varieties will work best.  Also, without a doubt, they will have someone on site that will know what the different types are and how they grow, etc.  Try finding that at Home Depot. 
Example, you said you wanted cucumbers - do you want Chinese cucumbers, cucumbers for pickles, a climbing variety, or just a regular slicer??   They may have 10 choices, or they may have one.   If you want a very particular type of cucumber there is still time to get seeds and choose one of hundreds of types and plant those in the ground,  but if you want a plant that is started already, you may only get to choose from 3,4 , 5 or so selections. 

Thanks. Yea, we use a few local nurseries for our plants and shrubs and trees so I’m hoping they have several options.

Tiller broke(like everything else)  so we improvised to get the garden started for the year.. With this stupid virus thing happening I finally instilled into my wife why I have always Want to grow our own foods and in quantity with quality.. She finally understands.. I think lol. MY 14yr step son scratching the soil. Nice black Muck soil in our back yard. 

20200427_184637.jpg

20200427_194225.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/28/2020 at 8:45 AM, Belo said:

it's possible my location just didn't do well, I remember my house in buffalo the blueberries did ok, but they were in a spot that got sun all day long. Obviously sun all day is good for any fruiting plant, but the my current 2 bushes still get sun 75% of the time and just haven't done well. maybe i was the lucky bastard who got 2 females. iirc blueberries need pairs too. i could be wrong on that though.

Still no word on the blueberry bushes , im hoping we get some blackberries this year ,those went in last year .