How does your garden grow

crappyice

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

it is, depends on how fragile your plants are. sometimes heavy rain and wind can hurt new/smaller crops that haven't started from the seed in the soil. 

These plants were started from the seed at the farm, but i hear ya. it is tucked against a big fence so wind shouldnt be an issue and the area is sloped so should drain well.

Quickly got everything in and fenced Tonight. The front just has rocks On the netting, so I can move them quickly each week To get in and out.

In the back is basil and green squash. 

Left side are bell peppers

Middle are tomatoes

Front is cucumbers and 1 jalapeño 

2EE61853-7A48-47E4-B474-59C6A22FB53A.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Quickly got everything in and fenced Tonight. The front just has rocks On the netting, so I can move them quickly each week To get in and out.

In the back is basil and green squash. 

Left side are bell peppers

Middle are tomatoes

Front is cucumbers and 1 jalapeño 

2EE61853-7A48-47E4-B474-59C6A22FB53A.jpeg

Might want to cover them :(

Well finially got garden started got my sweet peas and cucumbers in the ground before the rain, hop.to get sweet corn in this weekend. Along with beans and peppers and potatoes, summer squash.  winter squash and pumpkin in a couple of weeks.

When would I expect to have vegetables to eat? June, August?

One of the reasons we stopped our home garden was that we were never around to care for it when the fruits came ready - July/ August seems to be our most productive times and we were always away at baseball or vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

When would I expect to have vegetables to eat? June, August?

Green squash in June. Don’t let any squash get too large.  Anything bigger than your wrist is too big IMHO. 

Tomatoes in August (what kind did you get?)

Peppers in late July

Cukes in mid July

Basil anytime plant is a little larger.  Keep pinching off any flowers that grow at the top.

I saw you put the tomato cages up with the plant, that is good, they do grow quick.  I have never put cukes on a trellis, but if you want it upright the tomato cages should work.  They may need an additional support of a wooden stake as the plant gets larger.  

Looks like a nice garden!  

Green squash in June. Don’t let any squash get too large.  Anything bigger than your wrist is too big IMHO. 
Tomatoes in August (what kind did you get?)
Peppers in late July
Cukes in mid July
Basil anytime plant is a little larger.  Keep pinching off any flowers that grow at the top.
I saw you put the tomato cages up with the plant, that is good, they do grow quick.  I have never put cukes on a trellis, but if you want it upright the tomato cages should work.  They may need an additional support of a wooden stake as the plant gets larger.  
Looks like a nice garden!  

Thanks. Here’s a copy & paste from earlier post.

So I Went with:

2 jetstar tomatoes
2 Juliet tomatoes (grape)

2 cucumbers

1 green squash

6 bell peppers

1 jalapeño pepper

Small Tray of basil

$34, seemed reasonable??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16 hours ago, crappyice said:

I am still waiting - my cukes and maybe tomatoes and watermelon can probably go in this weekend but the jalapeño and eggplant and basil are stunted -

i've never done eggplant until this year. They've been in pods for weeks and they're really not that big. Is that normal?

35 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How often I gotta water veggies? It rained over night but today - sunday now changed. 81,75 and 73 with likely no rain. So once per day heavy soak?

If the soil around the plant looks dry . I water . I have a large garden . I dont use a sprinkler as I'm on a well. I use a watering wand . I water a plant until I see puddles.  Move on to 2nd plant same thing . Then a 3rd . By that time first plant has drained puddles.  Go back and hit them all again same process.

Water early in the day . Try to keep water off the leaves  and on the base of the plant on sunny days . Water on leaves on hot sunny days cause scalding. If I have to water in the evening I water early enough ... 6 pm  to allow the leaves  to dry before dark . Wet  plants  make for fungal  blights.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

If the soil around the plant looks dry . I water . I have a large garden . I dont use a sprinkler as I'm on a well. I use a watering wand . I water a plant until I see puddles.  Move on to 2nd plant same thing . Then a 3rd . By that time first plant has drained puddles.  Go back and hit them all again same process.

Water early in the day . Try to keep water off the leaves  and on the base of the plant on sunny days . Water on leaves on hot sunny days cause scalding. If I have to water in the evening I water early enough ... 6 pm  to allow the leaves  to dry before dark . Wet  plants  make for fungal  blights.  

a trick i learned down south, not sure if it's right or not, but i water at night. More water stays in the soil with less evaporation.

• Like 1

i've never done eggplant until this year. They've been in pods for weeks and they're really not that big. Is that normal?

Yeah...eggplant and peppers give me fits!bb71f00ad022e1d21b2beb7576a71ab9.jpg

Jalapeño pepper closest,,,then Basil...then eggplant with. Cuke as a comparison-all started on the same day

44 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Thanks. I plan to do the same. I have one of those stick in the ground meters that seems to be pretty accurate at moisture readings.

Thanks. Here’s a copy & paste from earlier post.

So I Went with:

2 jetstar tomatoes
2 Juliet tomatoes (grape)

2 cucumbers

1 green squash

6 bell peppers

1 jalapeño pepper

Small Tray of basil

$34, seemed reasonable??

Yes. Very reasonable. You will get 10x that in produce.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I bed my plants...  I lay down black landscaping  fabric.  Early cool weather I leave the fabric uncovered.  Helps hold heat at night and on cold days . As soon as temps hit  80 during the day I mulch over the fabric  with straw.  Helps hold in  the water and next to no weeding .

Most garden plants peppers..tomatoes  and such are what is referred  to as sub Mediterranean.   They thrive at 70 to 80 degrees.  Sustained  temps in the 90s will stress peppers  make them drop fruit and blossoms. 

The key is consistent  water and alleviate  stress.  A tomato  plant or pepper that lacks water will developed  blossom  end rot . Most people think it's a soil calcium deficiency.  It is  but for the most part  its the plants  not being able to absorb  calcium  from the soil do to a lack of moisture.