crappyice

How does your garden grow

Recommended Posts

For those of you that have raised garden beds or boxes do you add anything at the beginning of the year to boost the nutrients in the soil? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

For those of you that have raised garden beds or boxes do you add anything at the beginning of the year to boost the nutrients in the soil? 

raised beds garden mix

1/3 peat moss

1/3 vermiculite or split the 1/3 between this and basic clean soil

1/3 mushroom compost

This mix typically gives you good PH and a starting spot.

Mushroom compost tends to provide good organic matter yet not impact things like carrots. Using manure tends to cause problems in raised beds. Mushroom compost can be challenging to find bagged but I've had luck at Lowes specifically at multiple Lowes locations so I suspect they'll have it for you. I generally will top off raised beds with a bag of mushroom compost each spring. Vermiculite allows water retention. 


www.pursuitoutdoors.com or pursuitoutdoorstrailcameras on Facebook
Trail Camera Sales, Reviews, and Troubleshooting - PM for HNY pricing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phade said:

raised beds garden mix

1/3 peat moss

1/3 vermiculite or split the 1/3 between this and basic clean soil

1/3 mushroom compost

This mix typically gives you good PH and a starting spot.

Mushroom compost tends to provide good organic matter yet not impact things like carrots. Using manure tends to cause problems in raised beds. Mushroom compost can be challenging to find bagged but I've had luck at Lowes specifically at multiple Lowes locations so I suspect they'll have it for you. I generally will top off raised beds with a bag of mushroom compost each spring. Vermiculite allows water retention. 

The beds where new last year and they where started with bagged soil made for raised beds. I don't remember the brand name but it was from a local place. So if I understand you correctly just top the beds off with the mushroom compost and they should be good to go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moho81 said:

The beds where new last year and they where started with bagged soil made for raised beds. I don't remember the brand name but it was from a local place. So if I understand you correctly just top the beds off with the mushroom compost and they should be good to go?

Yes, about every third year I'll run a soil test just to ensure proper PH and micro nutrients are maintained. I think I've added lime once across 10 years or so based on the tests. I do supplement with fertilizer as needed based on the vegetable/fruit. 

  • Thanks 1

www.pursuitoutdoors.com or pursuitoutdoorstrailcameras on Facebook
Trail Camera Sales, Reviews, and Troubleshooting - PM for HNY pricing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

For those of you that have raised garden beds or boxes do you add anything at the beginning of the year to boost the nutrients in the soil? 

My beds are only a few years old and I've just been adding miracle grow garden soil every year. Mostly to raise the height of the soil in my beds and allow better access to sun. I want to start composting too, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I also have a pH probe but haven't used it. 

At other houses I've grown some of my best veggies in beds that had dinosaur dirt in them. This is horrible advice, but I'd only be too worried if I wasn't getting the growth and yield I expected, and knew variables like sun and water were not the issue.


"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having an issue with a couple tomato plants but besides that I'm hoping the last frost comes quick. I have about 600 sq feet to till (still) and then add cow shit. Besides that my t posts are in the ground and ready for a fence to be added. 

I sprayed some neem oil on the tomato plants, I hope they recover. 

20200413_162447.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 30lb of fast acting organic lime got delivered today. When should I put it down? I got one of those 3in1 soil test kits coming to check pH but not for another week or so. Do I wait?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

So 30lb of fast acting organic lime got delivered today. When should I put it down? I got one of those 3in1 soil test kits coming to check pH but not for another week or so. Do I wait?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best time is now :). But wait for the PH test results. What if you dont need lime?

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

So 30lb of fast acting organic lime got delivered today. When should I put it down? I got one of those 3in1 soil test kits coming to check pH but not for another week or so. Do I wait?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put it out asap. 30 pounds isn't going to increase your ph in a extreme way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tonight looks like it may be the last night that we dip below freezing for a while in the Roc area. I plan to put stuff in the ground this weekend.


"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Put it out asap. 30 pounds isn't going to increase your ph in a extreme way. 

It says it covers 2500-3000. The area I plan to garden with is much much smaller. Maybe 100-200sqft only. I think I’ll wait a week for tester to come.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many square feet do I want garden? I have 56ft x 6ft to work with. So 336Sqft but I don’t want it that big. Do I make it 24x6? I want to use 8ft intervals to match fence. Or 16x6?

 

Each red line is 8ft intervals

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

ce328b8d1c3dff6341277fa6433515e3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bb85c8b54ac8841b0e96f0350bbc7a80.jpg
Pretty pathetic!!!
Cucumber is the only thing doing ok...just transplanted the tomatoes today- basil has stayed that size for day and eggplant and jalapeño ain’t happening- only 3-4 watermelon too



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine looks the same but it's still way early to plant outside.  We need some warmth for sure .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

may have screwed up. A few of my plants were outgrowing their seed starters and i was anxious to get them in the ground, so I put everything in last night. My plan was to cover the 2 nights this week that called for below freezing. But this morning there was a frost and my beans and cukes were all bent stalks. Corn was fine and squash is too small to bend yet. Leafy stuff all looks ok. Not sure if they will fix themselves or not. It's early and not the end of the world, and I can easily restart but I'm bummed. 

Edited by Belo

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started hardening my indoor plants today and plan on putting them in the ground in about ten days. I planted about 500 parsnips 100 carrots and a row of spinach today and it feels good to get seed in actual dirt. 

Harris seeds played a little trick on me, the fencing I ordered was out of stock even though the website didn't state that so I'm going to buy some fencing for this section while I wait on the other stuff to arrive. 

Btw my wife spent about 15 minutes playing in the dirt with me before the gnats got to her.

Screenshot_20200420-190412_WhatsApp.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Belo said:

may have screwed up. A few of my plants were outgrowing their seed starters and i was anxious to get them in the ground, so I put everything in last night. My plan was to cover the 2 nights this week that called for below freezing. But this morning there was a frost and my beans and cukes were all bent stalks. Corn was fine and squash is too small to bend yet. Leafy stuff all looks ok. Not sure if they will fix themselves or not. It's early and not the end of the world, and I can easily restart but I'm bummed. 

Beans, Corn,, squash and cukes are easily started right in the ground.  Wait until soil is at least 55 degrees and plant away.   No need for started plants, they grow fast! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah the corn i think will be fine. A bean plant or 2 may survive. I'm not talking a ton of crops here, just kicking myself for jumping the gun.


"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does May 2-3 weekend still look good for Northern Westchester County to buy veggie plants from local nurseries and plant in ground? 

On a side note, I ordered fencing and posts but the company accidentally sent me this big tent contraption. https://www.gardeners.com/buy/3-season-raised-bed-garden-cover-4x8/8598282.html#q=3%2Bseason&simplesearch=submit&start=1  I think it would be an eyesore, so I may sell it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

So does May 2-3 weekend still look good for Northern Westchester County to buy veggie plants from local nurseries and plant in ground? 

On a side note, I ordered fencing and posts but the company accidentally sent me this big tent contraption. https://www.gardeners.com/buy/3-season-raised-bed-garden-cover-4x8/8598282.html#q=3%2Bseason&simplesearch=submit&start=1  I think it would be an eyesore, so I may sell it.

You'll be fine biz . It's not hard to grow a garden ,the weather in our area is very forgiving for gardening. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that cold frame thing you got.  You could put your plants in pretty early and not worry about frosts.  Take it down during the warm season, and put it back up in the fall and extend your season again.  But if you think it is an eyesore, then it does not matter.  

Personally, I would wait another week.  it was 27 degrees this am with 2 inches of snow on the ground.  OK for peas, but tomatoes would be toast.  The plant is growing in the container just as it is in the ground.  Waiting a week will not delay your crop much at all.  On the other hand, plants are pretty cheap, if you lose them unexpectedly, it is easy and not too expensive to replace.  Again, up to you. 

Edited by Otto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Otto said:

I like that cold frame thing you got.  You could put your plants in pretty early and not worry about frosts.  Take it down during the warm season, and put it back up in the fall and extend your season again.  But if you think it is an eyesore, then it does not matter.  

My fence arrived today actually, so i'll put the tent for sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pushed this soil test thing into the garden ground. First was pH, read 7 everywhere. Either all that Lime worked or I was ok anyway.

 

2nd pic is moisture which shows right In the middle, good.

 

3rd pic is sunlight. Full sun as I knew midday like this. This spot is shady all morning then sun all afternoon.

 

83b89ed26c1d80f9f8aeb3b630f00c05.jpg&key=35e5315fbc76de24935939496c674833c8a8103b880c2e00a0f7b87c8a73bef6

ba3bdbeeb365ebffd1a07e50a08dc30c.jpg&key=b2eae14930ad828ba4344b26d3be07969aae21863bb8838b4031dfb619c97739

64c8c576bb89307ce0307461e290a502.jpg&key=6d1973d10a30c3d52d936ecfa36547c18fdbbb28c66004cc4a8e9cd5202a81f7

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.