Allegheny State Park

Lawdwaz

Another member here posted that he was at Allegheny State Park yesterday as my wife and I were too.  We ended up taking a big loop down the Thruway to Chautauqua Lake the crossed the lake on Rt 86 and headed east towards the ASP.  The plan (really flexible though) was to hit the 219 in Salamanca then stop at Walmart in Springville to pick up a toaster for my Covid positive father in law's room at the assisted living facility. It was my wife's birthday and we felt like hitting the road........

So back to the park; I've only been to ASP a handful of times over the years.  In high school, myself and a bunch of guys rented a cabin for a few drunkin' nights and a zillion laughs.  Then I remember a weekend camping trip with the father's and sons of the kids scout troop.  This was strictly a non-sanctioned scouting event as alcohol and cigars were present.  This was a winter camping trip and the kids had a ball too....... :)  (While we were there, the Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster occurred that Saturday night, something to taint the weekend and history)

So yesterday we went in the Quaker Entrance and ended up on the road to Thunder Rocks.  The roads were fine but they must have had 5-6" of snow the night before so were sloppy.  I'm sure many here have been there but if not, it is surely worth a ride.  While we were in the park for probably two hours we probably only saw a fraction of the Park  We'll be returning again soon I hope for a weekend trip.  Take your kids you guys!!!!!!!

xTI5evV.jpg

KVHNX2B.jpg

GVYs5VY.jpg

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Law did you lose some lbs?  looking svelte.  Sounds like a good day.  Keeping your FIL in prayer.

I opted to thank you for the "Keeping your FIL in prayer"...........I wanted to put a :) for your "Law did you lose some lbs?"

Actually I found some lbs............  :(

Thanks guys!

Before we left Springville I called Adam's Rib in Snyder and placed an order for her birthday dinner.  Eating a "special" meal at home rather in the relaxing atmosphere of a restaurant is disappointing.  The only plus was I wasn't too tipsy to drive to the assisted living facility to drop off the new toaster to the FIL. :)

The birthday girl.......

y6nY6ZA.jpg

• Like 7

Where's your mask? I'm reporting you to King Andy!!

Happy birthday Kathy!

The wife and I have been doing little day trips on the nice sunny days too. We drove through Allegheny SP twice now, did a bag lunch in the car so not to come in contact with people. Do the trip in the opposite direction and get gas in Irving for < $1/gal!!

• Thanks 1

Oh man do wife n I have memories of ASP. We’ve been together since just outta HS and began going there with my friends , who then and still are her friends. We always stay on Cogdon trail in red house. Caught some nice trout there a few times while hiking miles back to beaver swamps and cooked them up in foil on campfire. Best fish I’ve eaten to date. One time we had more people show up than expected and maxed our cabin out. One guy set up a hammock pretty close to the road and next morning cars beeping at him passed out. Couple others set up tent on porch.  Well of course we fed the raccoons while drinking around fire. The 2 guys eventually went to crash in tent. Few of us laid a trail of teddy grahams up cabin steps, unzipped tent and tossed a bunch in there. Next morning they were all gone. Which means coons we’re in their tent. 
And I can’t fit in the bear caves now like I used to 40 pounds ago. 
Whoever was the most sober would drive us to the garbage dumps hoping to see a bear. Spotlighting deer in park always fun. Sorry for the wolc like length post but this brings back great memories. 

Happy birthday to Kathy and prayers sent for FIL 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Another member here posted that he was at Allegheny State Park yesterday as my wife and I were too.  We ended up taking a big loop down the Thruway to Chautauqua Lake the crossed the lake on Rt 86 and headed east towards the ASP.  The plan (really flexible though) was to hit the 219 in Salamanca then stop at Walmart in Springville to pick up a toaster for my Covid positive father in law's room at the assisted living facility. It was my wife's birthday and we felt like hitting the road........

So back to the park; I've only been to ASP a handful of times over the years.  In high school, myself and a bunch of guys rented a cabin for a few drunkin' nights and a zillion laughs.  Then I remember a weekend camping trip with the father's and sons of the kids scout troop.  This was strictly a non-sanctioned scouting event as alcohol and cigars were present.  This was a winter camping trip and the kids had a ball too....... :)  (While we were there, the Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster occurred that Saturday night, something to taint the weekend and history)

So yesterday we went in the Quaker Entrance and ended up on the road to Thunder Rocks.  The roads were fine but they must have had 5-6" of snow the night before so were sloppy.  I'm sure many here have been there but if not, it is surely worth a ride.  While we were in the park for probably two hours we probably only saw a fraction of the Park  We'll be returning again soon I hope for a weekend trip.  Take your kids you guys!!!!!!!

It has been more than 30 years since I have been there. I do remember some good times when I was young.   My first visits were when our parents took us kids down for several years on New year's snowmobile trips with their friends(I think your friend's the Webers went along a year or two).  We rented 4 or 5 cabins on Sugar-bush or Dowd trail.   I remember some type of castle where the kids would slide down the ice on the spiral staircase.   Another year, my cousin took us down on April 1st for some trout fishing, and his VW beetle broke down on the way back.  I don't remember catching any trout.   

My extended family still goes down every year on opening weekend of deer season.   I killed my first deer there on one of those trips when I was 17 (you will never guess what it was) on Bay-state road I think.  I was hunting with my uncle and I tagged it on a "party-permit" that was shared with him and my dad.   The last few years, the few that still go have taken a couple of nice bucks, but overall the numbers are way down with no where near as many antlerless deer as they use to take. 

In my early twenties, I went there on a few snowmobile trips with a gang of friends.   We also rented 4 or 5 cabins on sugar-bush trail.  I wonder if one of those cabins still has a pane of glass in it that we had to replace (some drinking may have been involved).   A friend went into town for the pane of glass, cut to size, and brought back a few packs of chewing gum to hold it in.   He said he checked it out a few years later, and it was still in place.  One year, we drank all the beer and liquor that we had, except for one big bottle of cheap vodka.  No one wanted to drink that straight and the only thing we had to mix it with was a gallon of milk.  Add a bit of snow in a glass, and you got a "real" white Russian.   I have been drinking those on occasion ever since.  

Prayers sent for your FIL.

• Thanks 1