Pop up blind during snow storm

NY Region 3 Trapper

I was thinking the same thing Osborne. I am going to give it a good sit tomorrow morning, but I wanted to hunt in the PM as well. If it is dumping rain/snow I might go set up a blind so that I can at least feel like I have a better chance than staying at home! I don't know how much they will move in bad weather conditions, but the past two days I have seen and increase of sign and activity so what the heck!

I hunt from a pop-up tent during bow season. Like the cover, consealment, and the ability to move around a little. A ladder stand would be better, but my first year in this area so I want to see if anything happens to the tent before I put up a ladder. Was in the tent on Saturday morning, son was in the climber. We saw quite a few deer, one nice 7 pointer, just out of reach. Weather got bad about 11:00, so we called it a day. Went back Sunday morning after 4 - 6 inches fell and a tree limb fell right on the tent. We got it off and took off all the heavy snow on top of it, but it bounced right back to shape. One of the inside folding spines broke, but was still useable, at least for this year. Good thing I wasn't inside when that limb came down or I'd be a goner. We did see 3 bucks that morning, as well as 4 does, but when the sun came up and started melting the snow off of everything, it seemed like it was coming down in snowballs, and hail. Too much noise going on, so I figure I'd get out around 11 and wait for the next weekend to give it a try. I love hunting in snow. Would even consider buying snow camo and stalk, if we had enough of it.

Picked up a Comfort Zone Predator blind at dick's for $49.98. It's 5'x5 and 66" tall. Perfect for drawing a bow and plenty of room for 2 hunters. Also has shoot thru screens using fixed blades. Compared to the more expensive $99 Field and Stream magnum only difference is 1" higher inside and additional shoot thru windows. Other dimensions are the same.

How long would brand new blind need to air out after being hosed down with scent killer, to minimize the human/plasticy smell on it? I've never blind hunted before, but with a buddy coming with me alot this gun season I might entertain the idea. Plus can sneak into some really hard to reach places with it that I wouldn't want to lug a stand without a quad.

I use the Ameristep® G2 Ground Blind is currently on sale in gander for 49.99. Probably not the best but its cheap and gets the job done. Takes a bit to master the take down procedure but its amazing how easy it is once you do it.

I have the same exact blind. This will be the 3rd season I'm using it and I love it. I've had it out in high wind and pretty heavy rain, it worked great. This year I got a can of water repelant spray it's called Hunt Dri. It's odorless and has no UV brighteners. Some of the seams leak from the needle holes of the stitching. I got a buck out of it last season he was 15 yards from me and never knew what hit him. I got my money's worth out of it and then some. It sets up and breaks down in seconds.

I leave my blind up all year in the same spot,Outhouse with junky fiberglass tubes that broke under the heavy snow last year.I took and cut down some metal poles and brackets from a old screen room,holding up just fine.Over the weekend while eating breakfast I was watching 5 deer come out from there bedding area to eat some apples fallen from the tree.The snow was dropping off of the tree limbs and they were very spooky,The eat a few apples and went right back to there bedding area.They do not like to be in the woods when things are falling on them.Can't blame them.

How long would brand new blind need to air out after being hosed down with scent killer, to minimize the human/plasticy smell on it? I've never blind hunted before, but with a buddy coming with me alot this gun season I might entertain the idea. Plus can sneak into some really hard to reach places with it that I wouldn't want to lug a stand without a quad.

I sprayed mine down and set it up in the yard just long enough for it to dry then I put it in the backpack that comes with it and then I put it in a big Trash Bag and sealed it. When I got up to the cabin I took it out of the trash bag and left it out on the porch in the backpack. When I set it up in my spot it came out of the pack scent free. Then I brushed it in real good used the tie downs and tied it to a tree off of each corner of the blind and tightened them up in case it got windy over night. The next morning I was hunting in concealment and comfort. It really works well if you hunt with a buddy because it allows you to get away with movement, it keeps any odor inside and you can talk low if you have to. Remeber to keep the window/door behind you zipped up so you have a dark back drop making it hard for deer to see in the blind. I hope you enjoy your blind this season it's a great way to hunt. I use it with my Father because he can't climb up trees anymore with his back and bad knees and it gives us a good way to enjoy the hunt together. I used to only hunt alone but now I look forward to sharing hunts with him in the blind. The only dilema is when that buck comes walking in who gets to shoot it.