Tree stands on state land??

mossy725

Here is a copy of the email. I will post whatever they reply with.

"I would like to get a clarification of just what is legal concerning tree stands on state land. have a couple of specific questions concerning this and would also like a general overview of what is considered damage to a tree on state land. First, are climbing tree stands legal to use, or are the scuff marks left on the bark of the tree considered damage? Second, are screw in steps or screw in bow/equipment hangers legal to use on state land, or are the screw holes considered damage to the tree?

Thank You"

When they log the woods? What happened to "Wild Forever"? I thought the purpose of State Forest Preserve was to PRESERVE the land forever from being logged/sold/etc. Has State Land ever been sold or logged before? And if so, why and will it ever happen again?

Also, I'm interested to see what the DEC writes back to you WNY...

The state frequently clear cuts stand lands usually 10 acres at a time. This helps improve wildlife habitat by dropping tree tops to the ground for cover and food while opening the forest floor to more sunlight and secondary growth. I have seen it several places and within a few years the hunting improves drastically. They just finished up a two year project in the state land I frequent. They make a bit of a mess out of things I believe it's worth it.

The state frequently clear cuts stand lands usually 10 acres at a time. This helps improve wildlife habitat by dropping tree tops to the ground for cover and food while opening the forest floor to more sunlight and secondary growth. I have seen it several places and within a few years the hunting improves drastically. They just finished up a two year project in the state land I frequent. They make a bit of a mess out of things I believe it's worth it.

Thanks for the info

Forever wild ?? When my wife's grandfather was alive he would tell stories of how he planted the tree's at some of the area that is now stateland in WNY area. He said two rows of men hundres of yards long the first row would pop a hole in the earth the second row dropped a seed and covered the hole. They would walk the length of the woods and then move to the next section. Basically building the forest. I didnt believe him until i took a close look at how perfectly the tree's were lined up.

When they log the woods? What happened to "Wild Forever"? I thought the purpose of State Forest Preserve was to PRESERVE the land forever from being logged/sold/etc. Has State Land ever been sold or logged before? And if so, why and will it ever happen again?

Also, I'm interested to see what the DEC writes back to you WNY...

The state land by me just had a logging company in there 2 years ago and logged all fall and winter.

Heres the reply I got. Probably the fastest answer Ive ever gotten from them.

"John,

Climbing tree stands are fine to use because they do not permanently injure the tree or increase its risk for disease or insect damage. Screw in trees steps however, bore a hole which can lead to future problems for the tree. Any of the hang-on stand would also be okay if accompanied with a climbing stick that is attached to the tree with either a strap or rachet, nothing that bores a hole. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Ron Gross

Fish and Wildlife Technician 1

New York State DEC, Bureau of Wildlife

6274 East Avon-Lima Road

Avon, NY 14414

Phone 585-226-5380

Fax 585-226-6323

Email: [email protected]"

• Like 2

As others have stated I have read the rules and you may leave a stand in the woods as long as it doesn't "damage" the tree.

I have used my summit climber for 3 years on county and state property, and although they do mar the bark, I would hardly call this damage. I am pretty sure they just don't want you pounding or screwing metal into a tree.

Finally, that all being said, I would highly suggest against just locking a climber onto the bottom of a tree. I have a bigger summit climber that I like to leave locked on the bottom of the tree with a cover strapped over the seat to keep it dry. Went out to it yesterday and someone had cut out my seat with a knife.

I have a replacement seat, but this illustrates the key point about stands on public property, they are exposed to jerks. So I would recommend using hang on stands with removable climbing sticks rather than ladder stands, and removing atleast the bottom stick everytime you leave the stand. The harder it is for someone to get to your stand, the safer it is.

Edited by 7J Everyday

i use my climber everytime on hunt... i wouldnt have thought about it being illegal. I am guilty of cutting some shooting lanes and trimming some branches on public/state land (i mean i didint hack the forest down)... i wont sit a tree where i can not make clean shot on an animal. i think some of these rules are rather silly for hunters but yet others can hack stuff down with now problem. try finding the perfect tree for a climber, the only perfect tree is one another hunter already limbed up.

Thanks for the specifics on this! Has any one every seen a tree die as a result of putting screw in steps in it? And a bow holder hook? Many of us have hunted the same areas for years. Perhaps even set a stand in the same tree for many consecutive years. The law is the law so it is to be adhered to but I have never personally seen steps harm a tree.

Thanks for the specifics on this! Has any one every seen a tree die as a result of putting screw in steps in it? And a bow holder hook? Many of us have hunted the same areas for years. Perhaps even set a stand in the same tree for many consecutive years. The law is the law so it is to be adhered to but I have never personally seen steps harm a tree.

Can always use something like this: http://www.basspro.c...5003000_175-3-0

No harm to the tree at all. Lighter and easier to use too.

Edited by SteveNY

I agree with you 100% and personally think the DEC is a little overboard on that. I have screw in hangers in trees that have been there for years. I also have trees that I have screwed hangers into and removed them on multiple occasions and the trees are just fine, years later. Still, I can see why they have the rule. If they didnt, youd find home built stands lag bolted into trees all over state land, like people used to do before DEC made the rule of no damage to trees.

Yeah, I can understand not allowing metal items to be permanently screwed or driven into trees. These things can become forgotten or simply left behind causing quite a hazard to loggers or sawmill operators (I have heard some pretty ugly horror stories). I can also appreciate rules against hacking on trees and doing damage that will eventually lead to health problems of trees. However, it is unfortunate that some common sense can't be applied somewhere along the line. As I said earlier, I have never seen a decent bowhunting spot that didn't need some kind of shooting lane trimming. That just isn't a normal scenario in a normal woods. That also applies whether you are in a tree stand or hunting from the ground.

Also as I pointed out earlier, it would be nice if there were some commonality in DEC philosophy between hunting situations and non-hunting situations on public forested land when it comes to modifications to trees and brush. I have seen much worse damage done to trees, vegetation, and the natural state of public lands by the construction of mountain bike trails than anything I have ever seen done by hunters. In fact, the lane clearing that is done by hunters is seldom even detectable by the following spring.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I would consider the marks from a climber as damage to the tree.

And, stealing is stealing, lol. Its like asking "if a car is parked in a no parking zone, can I take it?"

True, true....but after 3 years???? I say it is fair game. ;)

Maybe that's the rational for the name tag requirement.

How would anyone prove it was their stand if it was left unatended?