Do you shoot small bucks ?

fasteddie

"Guys who see big bucks don't shoot little ones..."

Well it happens to me almost every year. Doesn't it happen to you too?

I invariably pass on a decent buck, waiting for that bonfide tanker and then all of a sudden...only a week to go in the season. And it is either tag soup or hunt like heck for a final opportunity to put some venison in the freezer.  I see big bucks every year but only once in a while do I get lucky and tag one.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me; I never eat doe tags or bucks that aren't worth mounting

Guys who think they can harvest big bucks don't shoot little ones for many reasons...it was wasted preparation time (which is why many never see good ones), a closed door in terms of opportunity, a step down in professionalism, and a few more.......but if you live in an areas with no deer or just want to shoot brown things because bucks or effort isn't "your thing"- you can do just that (esp. Here in NY)

For me; I never eat doe tags or bucks that aren't worth mounting

Guys who think they can harvest big bucks don't shoot little ones for many reasons...it was wasted preparation time (which is why many never see good ones), a closed door in terms of opportunity, a step down in professionalism, and a few more.......but if you live in an areas with no deer or just want to shoot brown things because bucks or effort isn't "your thing"- you can do just that (esp. Here in NY)

"Professionalism" ...... Now there's a word that you don't hear used with most hunting conversations unless you are talking about somebody that makes their living off of hunting ..... Lol.  ;) 

Of course there are other possible reasons to add to the list. Maybe we could add ego, or need for acceptance among other hunters. And then there might be a need to rank oneself against other hunters. Or how about inability to measure hunting success and satisfaction in any other terms than inches of antler? Yes the list of reasons is endless.

Frankly, everybody has their own personal reasons for setting their hunting trophy goals where they do, and it really is nobody's concern where or why those goals are set where they are. At least that's the way I look at it.

Doc

I asked everyone early on how one answers the question without knowing the definition of little/small bucks. No one answered - want to give it a shot?

I can't. My impression of a deer's size is unique to my own mindset. As is everyone else's idea of deer size. I don't belive there is any such thing as a universally agreed upon big deer or small deer unless it is an extreme of one or the other.

Doc

Ego,  good answer Doc. There are many here where I hunt, Im sure its same in other places, a few of which are good friends of mine, that echo what gjs said, basically looking down on anyone who would shoot a small buck. I cant speak for gjs and his meaning of that statement, but I know for fact these guys here think they are better hunters simply because they wont shoot smaller bucks, several of them have shot tons of little guys all through their hunting days, and now with the onset of QDM and ARs, people who do the same thing they have done are now losers, make any sense?? Fact is, many hunters simply have far far less chance of ever seeing, much less taking, a trophy deer. There are many reasons for that, money being the biggest one of course, family, friends, whatever it may be, some places just have big deer and some dont, if you can afford to buy, then manage your own land the more power to you, but dont put down the guy who can only access state land where 50 other guys are hunting too because he shoots a basket rack.Like several guys mentioned earlier, then you have the question of what small/big really is. I myself would enjoy the challenge of hunting just one particular large deer, whether you get him or not, but its not really possible in these parts, due to the amount of different landowners/small parcels, most all of which are posted. I do much scouting and preparation, and as I type right now, know the whereabouts of several large bucks, doesnt mean I will be able to hunt remotely close to them.

For me a buck less than 2.5 in NYs is a small buck....but have passe don 3.5 yos

Never had a deer build my ego...but would say any hunter would shoot the biggest buck they could if it were within there effort range. In my opinion, most hunters are too lazy to research/know their ground or even the nature of their query.

This fine state allow the harvest of any buck- not going to knock anyones legal right. Many states are into herd management (do not read as trophy management) and do nto support the idea of shooting the young of such a species. My guess is your thoughts of old will become in the times of it as well......

Ditto Larry, And throw int he factor that some do not have to time to put in that "effort". Works.....family....kids sports. I know in my case I could probably put in all kinds of effort because I enjoy the scouting part almost as much as the hunt...of course I gues my priorities are set differently.....famliy first....work and my set responsibilities first...maybe a little more flexibility when the kids are grown...until then when that 100 class 8 walks by or that spike the last day of the season...it's to the foodsaver bags with him.

I wonder when it stops being fun for the guys that put all of that time and money into something and aren't succesfull in any way. We are after all hunters, we are supposed to kill deer. I know that isn't the only reason we all go but that is the main goal still right? to kill a deer is the completion of that goal, for some reason I picture guys sitting around waiting for the big one all pissed off for years on end because their time is wasted. All of that time on scouting and food plots and gear and still no "big buck" for them to verify their skill must kill them. I wonder how on earth my family and I kill deer every year, and bucks too, some of which are "big", with out all of this seriousness I read about. :;)

Its a hobby, try to enjoy it for what it is.

Doewhacker- You are absolutely right. It's a hobby, recreation, pastime. It's not our living. It's very possible that the bulk of hunters that we lose every year are those frustrated individuals who take it all so seriously that they can't tolerate failure, or living up to the standards seen on TV. You never know. I know I hunt hard, but I also try to keep it all in perspective. How much of this super-seriousness comes from videos and TV. There's an awful lot of unrealistic expectations that can develop when we start setting our goals according to what we see on the TV screen.

Doc

i dont agree with knocking the guys who do shoot smaller buck. Most guys do not have the time others put in to scout and its all about putting meat in the freezer at the end of the day. whos to judge?? what one does another may not do... i pass on smaller deer because I KNOW what i have running around. And im sure the ones who pass on smaller deer do generally know what they have on there property or adjacent to them.

But it does not give them the right to knock the guys who do shoot smaller bucks. There are plenty areas though in NYS that generally do not have mature bucks and probably will never produce mature bucks, maybe because there area is OVER hunted or in adequate food source or quite possible the deer are not given the chance to grow to potential. so there for to those hunters hunting that area will take a smaller deer and be quite happy to put meat in the freezer. there are some of us that do have the liberty of seeing MATURE deer and do have the liberty to be more picky then others, however in any event doesn't make it right to downgrade anyone.

My step dad when we hunt upstate will shoot any buck he sees, why? because we drive 5 hours to get there, he spends NO time driving up there to scout in the off season due to his company he owns and to him its about the week we get away to even go upstate spend the time with family and friends and enjoy the "Comradery" of the time spent with everyone. And when he does harvest his spike or whatever, hes happy and it made the trip that much better!

at the end of the day you do whats best for you as a hunter, some do it to actually put food on the table and some do it as recreation.

who are we to judge????

I wont bother to post the same valid arguments as i did on the old forum...

But do you guys realize how hypocritical you are? "Dont judge us....but we will judge you."

Life is full of choices boys/girls.....dont say "it is a lack of time" until you know how much the other guy does.

Not one of you would pass a 150" buck for the scrubby 1.5 you may have shot last year.....so sour grapes come into play.

If you need to feed your family- work more and hunt less....and you should surely not criticize another prioritization.

Regardless- the hayday slaughter will end soon....then you can save your money on licenses (maybe buying more food for you family>>>  ???  ) rather than have to wait in those providing woods for urgent tag fill......

Finding success in life starts with dropping excuses and the getting the "making it happen" attitude. Good luck to you in your endevours....

gjs4----I never saw one post that said guys shouldn't shoot bigger bucks ...but I have seen a lot of hunters that bang on the guys who choose to shoot smaller ones.

It seems to me the guys that are satisfied with a smaller buck are just that...satisfied.....would it had been nicer to get a bigger one...bet they all would say yes.

You on the other hand seem very comfortable imposing your standards on others. And from my other posts that is kind of a pet peeve of mine. What great insight and wisdom do you have that makes you better than a guy that is satisfied with a spike?

I am looking up to see if the clouds part while you tyupe your next post

gjs4-You on the other hand seem very comfortable imposing your standards on others. What great insight and wisdom do you have that makes you better than a guy that is satisfied with a spike?

Where are you getting this info from?

some things never change.....  :;)

:)  GJS4 if you ever take the time to read any of my post you would know that I practice QDM I just don’t believe in forcing my way hunting on to anyone else. Like stevemcd it’s my choice on what I shoot. Steve has it right. As for AR’s my source at the DEC has said there will probably be no more AR zones in the near future. So this is probably a dead issue. For now . here facts for you: Let us look at the BUCK take for the last 5 years. The buck take has been increasing for the last 5 years and the percentage of 1.5 year olds has remained the same. This would suggest that not everyone who claims they are practicing in QDM is doing so. The data seems to say there is not a lot of support for AR’s in the state. If there were a lot of support for AR’s you would see a reduction in the buck harvest coming out of the percentage of 1.5 year olds taken and that is not happening.

I cant  speak for gjs cause I dont know him, but I know  from experience that its a peeing match thing for the guys near me that dont shoot small bucks. They want everyone to think they are better hunters because they are "trophy" hunters, its that simple. I get a good chuckle when inevitably some young kid who just grabs a shotgun out of the corner and finds some grabs 3 different kind of slugs, sits on a stump on the back 40 and shoots the biggest buck taken in a given area. Get to listen to the cryin and moaning from the "trophy" boys, and generally they get plain mad, cause it wasnt them. Does this make the young lad a better hunter than them???? Hmmm, food for their thoughts, not mine, I go take a look at the deer, congratulate the kid, genuinely that is, and go back to my business.

:)  The buck take has been increasing for the last 5 years and the percentage of 1.5 year olds has remained the same. This would suggest that not everyone who claims they are practicing in QDM is doing so. The data seems to say there is not a lot of support for AR’s in the state. If there were a lot of support for AR’s you would see a reduction in the buck harvest coming out of the percentage of 1.5 year olds taken and that is not happening.

Very good point.  For all these guys who say they don't shoot small bucks, I bet a good percentage (majority) of them don't get to see that big buck and then end up taking the 1.5 year old, thus the statistics are remaining the same even with all these alleged AR supporter out there!!  For all their pontificating, they don't like coming home with nothing just like anyone else! LOL  The only difference between us and them is that they BS us the whole way thru, while the rest of us are just happy with anything that we bring to bag!  What hunter would you suspect is the more content one?  I think the answer is pretty easy.