The 100 inch mark.

agross

Because I have been around this game a long time now, and have observed that the hunters who could care less about "inches" are the ones most content when it comes to their hunting. There not the ones bitching and moaning that the guys down the road are shooting all the small bucks and that they aren't getting a chance to grow. Everyone can obviously hunt for what they want, but it's the guys who talk about the "inches" who will be screaming about how the other hunts well before those who could care less about measurements. And it's been proven on this site time after time.

I don't know about that... I've been hunting for 37 years and have found the opposite to be true..the people that bitch the most are the ones that never shot a big deer... without getting into hurting anyones feelings I won't mention any names, but go back and look at the posts bitching and moaning about not seeing deer or people poaching their property, or how many tags they didn't get or bitching about guys that care about antlers... they aren't guys like Sam Potter, G-man, Dave 6x6, who kill lots of big bucks yet you never hear complaining. I would say there are more guys bitching about us guys that just happen to like hunting bigger bucks..

Just like some of the fellas here that are into deer load calibers, bullet speeds, bow speeds, and other number related things.. some of us just are into rack scores... everyone has their own thing...but for some reason antlers seem to piss a lot of guys off... yet I haven't seen one post on here where someone has gotten a big buck and said "Damn, I wish these antlers weren't so big on this buck. I was hoping to kill something smaller. :wacko: "

I don't know about that... I've been hunting for 37 years and have found the opposite to be true..the people that bitch the most are the ones that never shot a big deer...

Well, I ain't one of them. I have shot some respectable sized bucks. Do I know what they measure? Absolutely not, nor do I care. I have shot smaller bucks, and even does, that stand out in my memory more than the big ones. I am happy with any deer that I get. That is why I tell people to just hunt, enjoy, and don't worry about any stupid antler scores. I find it downright funny how some of you have all your bucks measurements memorized down to a fraction of an inch. I bet many of you couldn't give us your wives, parents, childrens, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. as well as those antler scores? LOL

I've bagged 3 over 100, my biggest to date was a 137 3/4 out of franklinville, the other 2 were prob around 120. Def have a few 140-150 running around my current 9h hunting turf just hoping for a shot at one this year.... As we all know they don't get that big by being dumb, and I'm getting aggressive this year so we shall see if that works

I've bagged 3 over 100, my biggest to date was a 137 3/4 out of franklinville, the other 2 were prob around 120. Def have a few 140-150 running around my current 9h hunting turf just hoping for a shot at one this year.... As we all know they don't get that big by being dumb, and I'm getting aggressive this year so we shall see if that works

franklinville has some really impressive bucks the biggest ive ever seen in the woods while hunting was in franklinville less then 2 miles from case lake i love it out there. Edited by shawn

Well, I ain't one of them. I have shot some respectable sized bucks. Do I know what they measure? Absolutely not, nor do I care. I have shot smaller bucks, and even does, that stand out in my memory more than the big ones. I am happy with any deer that I get. That is why I tell people to just hunt, enjoy, and don't worry about any stupid antler scores. I find it downright funny how some of you have all your bucks measurements memorized down to a fraction of an inch. I bet many of you couldn't give us your wives, parents, childrens, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. as well as those antler scores? LOL

So those of us who are into stupid antler scores can't have a thread where we discuss them? Why bother posting on a thread that you have no interest in?...I don't get that... and buck scores are measured to a fraction of an inch thats why we use those numbers... but I agree there are probably those that remember there scores more than their relatives b-days..lol

Contentment in life is a wonderful thing but i was brought up to take advantage of the opportunities that are put in front of you in life. To NOT do so would be waisting a gift or blessing that has been put before you. I have been blessed by family and friends and opportunities to hunt some of the primest deer turf in our great state. I've done nothing to earn that right but i've choosen to pursue it full bore because the gift could be gone tomarrow. I would like to believe that if things were different, and trophy deer were only a dream, that i would hunt like Steve and be happy with that as well. I'm also very competitive. God Hardwired men to be that way for the survival of man kind. That compitition has been channeled toward outsmarting the king of our forest. The mature whitetail buck. And Steve you are really not much different. It appears through some of your posts that Your "compitition" is to somehow change the views of so called "measurement obsessed" hunters over to your way of thinking because you either think in many ways it is detrimental to the sport you love or detrimental to the happiness of the hunter themselves. It's seems to be some sort of mission you have to convince hunters that if they only would forget about scores and big deer, that they could also be as happy and content as you are. Other wise, as nyantler stated, you wouldn't even bother to comment on threads about scoring deer. I respect where you are at as a hunter but this is an area that some of us find very interesting and enjoyable so just let it be. By the way, i found little league to be much more enjoyable when we kept score as well. LOL

Contentment in life is a wonderful thing but i was brought up to take advantage of the opportunities that are put in front of you in life. To NOT do so would be waisting a gift or blessing that has been put before you. I have been blessed by family and friends and opportunities to hunt some of the primest deer turf in our great state. I've done nothing to earn that right but i've choosen to pursue it full bore because the gift could be gone tomarrow. I would like to believe that if things were different, and trophy deer were only a dream, that i would hunt like Steve and be happy with that as well. I'm also very competitive. God Hardwired men to be that way for the survival of man kind. That compitition has been channeled toward outsmarting the king of our forest. The mature whitetail buck. And Steve you are really not much different. It appears through some of your posts that Your "compitition" is to somehow change the views of so called "measurement obsessed" hunters over to your way of thinking because you either think in many ways it is detrimental to the sport you love or detrimental to the happiness of the hunter themselves. It's seems to be some sort of mission you have to convince hunters that if they only would forget about scores and big deer, that they could also be as happy and content as you are. Other wise, as nyantler stated, you wouldn't even bother to comment on threads about scoring deer. I respect where you are at as a hunter but this is an area that some of us find very interesting and enjoyable so just let it be. By the way, i found little league to be much more enjoyable when we kept score as well. LOL

Yeah I liked keeping score in little league too... never got the concept of everyones a winner... that just isn't true. never understood the statement "It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game." I always thought it should be "How you play the game determines whether you win or lose!" ;)

Not to raise any argument but why the 100" mark... nys books are 120 bow and 140 gun i believe.. pope & young 125 i believe.... i guess thats what i always assumed was a good buck.Never even gave 100" a thought...

Edited by G-Man

Sorry Dave, but you should read my first reply. I only suggested that people should enjoy hunting and be happy with whatever they get and NOT get wrapped up with silly measurements. You fellas took my simple statement as a slap in the face and challenged me on it, so I replied again. I could care less how you boys want to hunt or try to change anyone's mind, for I am sure that is close to impossible. You may be competitive, but some of us others aren't. We have enough competition in our lives and for me hunting doesn't need to be competitive. Isn't hunting supposed to be a pastime and not a competition? I simply enjoy my days afield and hope to get some venison for the freezer. NO need to set any goals or competition whatsoever for myself. If I succeed, great. If I don't, I try again next time.

OK fellas, quick! The exact length and weight of your first borns to the fraction of an inch and pound? First person to reply correctly gets a box of rice-a-roni.

Edited by steve863

Not to raise any argument but why the 100" mark... nys books are 120 bow and 140 gun i believe.. pope & young 125 i believe.... i guess thats what i always assumed was a good buck.Never even gave 100" a thought...

The 100 inch mark just came from an episode of deer and deer hunting i saw this year. I think it was alsheimers way of saying have fun and adjust your standards cuz we are all not going to be able to get those Iowa / Illinois or even New York giants.

Have 150 inch deer been shot within a few miles of my place in Chenango of course. Do i honestly believe that i will get one where i hunt no. Has it changed the way i hunt or the enjoyment i get out of hunting no.

I hunt for the bigger bucks for the challenge, and the bigger the deer (doe or buck) the more meat. I set specific goals this season to challenge my abilities and it has paid off. I have shot the biggest buck in my life, which scored in at 183. I didn't have a complete idea of just how big he was until the rack was scored. I never had paid attention to the numbers. I have 3 8pt racks I may score myself just for gp, but not too concerned about it. The bonus for me was the 110 lbs of meat in my freezer form him. I highly doubt I will have another opportunity like that again, but I will continue to push my skills for the chance. My main goal for big bucks is big meat. If someone wants to shoot bucks for the antlers that is fine, others who may shoot bucks to shot them that is fine too. Hunt to your abilities and have fun. Not everyone has the opportunities or the land to focus on big bucks, their concern may be food for their family. I know I cannot eat antlers, but 14 points look pretty damn cool. There are a few other big guys I am looking for throughout gun and ML season too. We'll see. Good luck to all and get yours how you can (legally).