define sunrise/sunset

mxsmitz201

You best know the times though. I have gotten stopped after dark coming out on state land due to a mile walk and been asked the time legal hunting ends by the DEC.

I copy the chart in the books and laminate and put in my license holder for reference. It has adjustments for location in the state. I am plus 10 minutes.

I wish we were like in other states that are a half our before in am and a half hour after in pm.

That is just plain absurd. There is no law that states you must know those times and I don't know anyone who does. And I can walk in and out of the woods what ever damn time I want. If they ask what your doing in the woods after dark, tell them coyote hunting.

DEP officer asked a buddy of mine after legal shooting light why he still had an arrow knocked on his bow, he told him the same as I would have said "Coyote, racoon, fox, etc.."

I thought it was spot on. a tool is required to determine if a regulation is met.

Culver if you have a watch you can look at the time before you shoot. If you look through a scope you can see if a buck is legal before you shoot. But the ruler you would have to get out of your stand catch the deer and measure his spikes to see if it were 3" or better and if so then you shoot him. I think looking with your vision or a scope is a much better way to do it. :bye:

Defined by dec tables in reg book .... I am not adding gas to a fire... , but turkey and all other hunting in the state seems to be a 1/2 hr berfore sunrise and a 1/2hr after sunset. Now that the state is equalizing starting dates maybe it time to standardaize the start/end hunt times. Face it there is light enough to see a turkey's beard 1/2 hr before i sure as heck could see a deer thats 100x larger.....

Edited by G-Man

Culver if you have a watch you can look at the time before you shoot. If you look through a scope you can see if a buck is legal before you shoot. But the ruler you would have to get out of your stand catch the deer and measure his spikes to see if it were 3" or better and if so then you shoot him. I think looking with your vision or a scope is a much better way to do it. :bye:

Ok if you are hung up on the order of operations and don't want to see the point I was making, let;s try this. The DEC doesn't tell you that you have to carry a ruler fishing but puts a 12" minimum on bass in many waters. you don't have to carry one but you still have to abide by the regulation....Again...minutes are not going to get your chops busted by the DEC but you are leaving yourself open to issues if they are in a mood.

Ok if you are hung up on the order of operations and don't want to see the point I was making, let;s try this. The DEC doesn't tell you that you have to carry a ruler fishing but puts a 12" minimum on bass in many waters. you don't have to carry one but you still have to abide by the regulation....Again...minutes are not going to get your chops busted by the DEC but you are leaving yourself open to issues if they are in a mood.

Culver I agree and about the fishing theory i have a tackle box that has a ruler built into the lid.

It is exactly the same ... just because there is a different way to get the info doesn't make the rule is any less a rule... if in doubt then you err on the side of the law and don't shoot... there is a sure way to keep from being tempted or making a mistake.. and that would be to check the sunrise sunset times and don't enter the woods until that time... I really don't understand why any of this is a problem... it's only a problem for those that want to push he envelope....

if 5 minutes before or after legal shooting time is ok today.. then why not six tomorrow? I mean its so close to 5 it wouldn't be all that bad... and well.. if its was 6 minutes tomorrow .. I'm sure 7 minutes wouldn't hurt anyone... and if 7 minutes isn't bad.. 8 is only 1 minute more.. no big deal... does anyone see the pattern here??

you fellas can make up your own rules.. and thats up to you.. but don't go screaming about how the EnCon officer was an idiot because he gave you a ticket for shooting before or after LEGAL shooting time.... he is not the idiot.

Most shooting accidents are either before or after legal light when things are not as easily seen. But I guess if I wear orange head to toe, you after hours guys are less likely to kill me in low light. When was the last time someone got shot at noon? And as far as shooting coyotes after legal hours, it is illegal to shoot coytoes with a deer caliber rifle during deer season. So your way to beat the system does not wash.

my question would be.."Why the need to try and beat the system?" Other than you can't get it done during legal time... I can't believe that some think a deer is that important.

You see the stories every year I bet, like the Cornell buck that is in question right now, some guys will do damn near anything to get any buck let alone a real big one.

Any one else remember the guy that "found" the 200' sheds a couple of years ago that turned out to be reproductions he bought over the internet? A big buck or the fame that goes with one will turn some guys insane. Not me though, you would find me at the dinner about the time legal shooting light comes. I can't still hunt in the dark very well and most folks don't like it when I rattle off a sound shot. (Thats a joke guys I dont shot at noises)

You see the stories every year I bet, like the Cornell buck that is in question right now, some guys will do damn near anything to get any buck let alone a real big one.

Any one else remember the guy that "found" the 200' sheds a couple of years ago that turned out to be reproductions he bought over the internet? A big buck or the fame that goes with one will turn some guys insane. Not me though, you would find me at the dinner about the time legal shooting light comes. I can't still hunt in the dark very well and most folks don't like it when I rattle off a sound shot. (Thats a joke guys I dont shot at noises)

Funny how thats true.... I guess they never learn that usually the truth gets out and all that newly aquired fame becomes infamy that is very hard to ever live down...

it is illegal to shoot coytoes with a deer caliber rifle during deer season. So your way to beat the system does not wash.

It is not illegal to shoot a coyote with a deer caliber gun. It is only illegal to hunt coyotes (or any other game for that matter) with a centerfire rifle in a non-rifle zone during an open deer season.

I believe you better check that. During deer season, it is illegal to hunt with a deer caliber rifle. page 51 in the guide under hunting furbearers at night. It states if you are hunting in an area where any deer season is open, you may use a shotgun muzzleloader bow handgun or air gun. you may use any rimfire rifle except in westchester nassau and suffolk counties.

Edited by bubba

Furbearer Hunting at Night

You may hunt furbearers at night, with or without a light, as follows:

• You may use a light, but you may not hunt from any motor vehicle, including an ATV. All laws pertaining to the use of a spotlight and firearm apply.
  • If hunting without a light, the use of a light gathering ("starlight") scope is legal on any firearm listed below.
  • You may use any handgun or bow.
  • You may use a shotgun loaded with shot (any size).
  • You may use a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, during any open season for deer in areas where rifles are prohibited for deer hunting.

NOTE: In Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk counties rifles are not allowed. In all other localities, be sure to check with local officials about laws restricting the discharge of a firearm at night

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45559.html

Checked.

I believe you better check that. During deer season, it is illegal to hunt with a deer caliber rifle. page 51 in the guide under hunting furbearers at night. It states if you are hunting in an area where any deer season is open, you may use a shotgun muzzleloader bow handgun or air gun. you may use any rimfire rifle except in westchester nassau and suffolk counties.

Bubba how accurate are those shitguns :bye:

It is exactly the same ... just because there is a different way to get the info doesn't make the rule is any less a rule... if in doubt then you err on the side of the law and don't shoot... there is a sure way to keep from being tempted or making a mistake.. and that would be to check the sunrise sunset times and don't enter the woods until that time... I really don't understand why any of this is a problem... it's only a problem for those that want to push he envelope....

if 5 minutes before or after legal shooting time is ok today.. then why not six tomorrow? I mean its so close to 5 it wouldn't be all that bad... and well.. if its was 6 minutes tomorrow .. I'm sure 7 minutes wouldn't hurt anyone... and if 7 minutes isn't bad.. 8 is only 1 minute more.. no big deal... does anyone see the pattern here??

you fellas can make up your own rules.. and thats up to you.. but don't go screaming about how the EnCon officer was an idiot because he gave you a ticket for shooting before or after LEGAL shooting time.... he is not the idiot.

It is exactly the same ... just because there is a different way to get the info doesn't make the rule is any less a rule...

Joe, I don't know what you are referring to.

• You may use a light, but you may not hunt from any motor vehicle, including an ATV. All laws pertaining to the use of a spotlight and firearm apply.
  • If hunting without a light, the use of a light gathering ("starlight") scope is legal on any firearm listed below.
  • You may use a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, during any open season for deer in areas where rifles are prohibited for deer hunting.

NOTE: In Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk counties rifles are not allowed. In all other localities, be sure to check with local officials about laws restricting the discharge of a firearm at night

http://www.dec.ny.go...door/45559.html

Checked.

now read the part about hunting during open deer season. You quoted the part about when deer season is closed. Two separate sections. So check again

You can change the legal shooting time as close as you want to the crack of dawn as you want with plenty of shooting light and still have the majority of accidents occur before legal time because majority of those accidents happen in the dark!! So I'm definitely not trying to beat the system when I make safe calculated shots before legal shooting time. Its called using your brain and using common sense. And don't tell me I'm not using my brain or common sense because I let bambi walk until that exact time when its "legal". I think whoever wrote the law lacks the common sense I'm talking about. But of course not everyone has common sense and that's why we have to be regulated to begin with..

Most shooting accidents are either before or after legal light when things are not as easily seen. But I guess if I wear orange head to toe, you after hours guys are less likely to kill me in low light. When was the last time someone got shot at noon? And as far as shooting coyotes after legal hours, it is illegal to shoot coytoes with a deer caliber rifle during deer season. So your way to beat the system does not wash.

It is NOT illegal to hunt coyote with a deer caliber rifle during deer season (EDIT: IN MY AREA). Also, I'm not trying to "beat the system". I have never shot a deer before sunrise or after sunset, and I dont have a want or need to.

I hunt HUGE tracts of state land. At times I am a mile deep in the woods and I will sit until legal light had passed. I often carry my spotlight and coyote calls in my pack. Sometimes as im walking out of the woods, I will try to call some coyote, if i dont hear anything, i keep walking, if I do, maybe ill sit for a little while. If I come across a gut pile, you can bet I will sit on it for a few hours before comming out of the woods.

I'm not trying to beat the system, I comply with every part of it. I hunt more than one species, I hope you can understand that.

Edited by SteveNY

http://www.dec.ny.go...door/45559.html

Checked.

That's what I thought, Bubba is trying to confuse us especially with that shitgun. Hate to get hit with that one.

check the regulations guide page 51 under hunting furbearers at night during open deer season. You will not you can only use a rimfire rifle and a shotgun bow or handgun. But I guess when you have no problem breaking the legal hunting hours law what is another one

check the regulations guide page 51 under hunting furbearers at night during open deer season. You will not you can only use a rimfire rifle and a shotgun bow or handgun. But I guess when you have no problem breaking the legal hunting hours law what is another one

Although presented different from the web site you are incorrect....they add this on page 51

ͪͪYou may use any centerfire

rifle ONLY if rifles are

also allowed for deer hunting in that

area. (Refer to Legal Implements map on

page 24.)

Tagged onto the end of the open deer season on page 51 in the guide book

check the regulations guide, there are 2 sections one when deer season is open and when it is closed. During open deer season, you can use only a rimfire rifle, shotgun bow or handgun. If hitting on a typo proves your point so be it. I am not the confused one. I have the guide here in my hand page 51 center column top of the page.