dragging deer

biggamefish

I always use a drag rope with deer. I also got a deer cart for this year and that works awesome. Now my question is is how do you do it?

I always tie the feet close to the head make the rope short enough to keep the head somewhat off the ground. I also always find a stick to put into the rope as a handle so the rope doesn't cut into my hands. I use a drag rope even on bucks with good racks always seemed easier for me.

Let's here yor tricks for dragging.

I used to do that and about 20 years ago I got smarter and cut an 8" piece of 3/4" diameter PVC pipe and attached that to the pull rope so the rope wouldn't cut into my hand . Then I got even more smarter and started using a heavy duty sled . The sled worked great so that any blood that drained would go in the sled . It also made it easier to load the deer into a p/u or a trailer .

My drag rope has a strap that goes over your shoulder and I bought a BIG carabiner/ handle like the kind used to carry paint cans and I use that as a handle on the rope/drag to give my body a rest or pull the deer up over logs or around trees easier.I usually have the rope around the front legs and neck to minimize snags.

I'm liking the sled idea, carts don't work well in my farm spots, to much wet plowed ground , drainage ditches and the hard woods has been logged with lots of tops and blow downs.

Bucks I grab a horn and pull, does a rope around neck and over my shoulder. I have a couple friends/farmers who offer me there atv's but I hunt more week days when they'er at work and the trip to go get them and bring them back would be just as long if not longer then dragging.

Yes a large deer takes a long time to drag over muddy fields .I got the time and squats and deadlifts make up a big part of my work outs so i got the horse power too .

Hey a sled thats big and no holes ,might be able to float it down some of the ditches when we got good rain the days before......

Or maybe walk 'em at gun point to the parking spot and shoot 'em there !

Ive done it all different ways, ropes, straps, carts, sleds, etc. The way that works best for me if all I have is a rope or strap is to use my knife to cut into the rear legs like you do for a gambrel, then run the rope or strap through that, tie to the legs so that all of the force inst applied to the tendons and pull. If its a buck, drag from the antlers. Sleds work great, as they get rid of alot of the friction between the deer and ground, but for me, carts have worked the best. As long as the tires are big enough, wet or plowed ground isnt much of an issue and brush and blow downs only slow me down a little.

I bought a ice fishing sled called Jet Sled (medium size) from Dicks and a elastic cargo net from BassPro . i changed the rope to 1/2" and put all my stuff and 2 girls stuff in it . pull it in and if we get a deer pop it in .

Ive used this setup 4 yrs now with great results .