smoking in the stand

Hunterny28

I do not smoke and even if I did I would never in the stand. Where I hunt sometimes there are a few guys that smoke constantly in the stand. I think this plays an important role in me not seeing deer. Do anyone of you guys smoke in the stand and have luck with getting a shot? Or is it that they drive their atvs to there stands? Because of this I am now on the far other side of the property for next year.

Many people smoke in stands, i believe on hunts like on TV where the deer are not pressured as much as they are in NY, it matters. But around here mostly during gun season the deer are constantly moving and scared of gun shots, so they are on the move. Just my opinion and my brother and dad both smoke while hunting. Ive smoked in the stand and had deer run right up to me. I mostly chew if im hunting just because of the scent of the smoke. I dont want to hear about my age and smoking im just putting my input. Thanks

to al lthe guys who say they kill deer and smoke the wind must be just right.... i highly doubt a deer will come in on your down wind side with a butt in hand and if it does i doubt that deer will commit to still come in... i just cant see it and im sure their are alot of guys who smoke and kill deer and i bet most pay no mind to wind and its coincidence they killed deer and some play wind to support the smoking habbit. lol

glad i dont smoke tho, id rather not give any more of and an advantage to a deer to pick my location out anymore then they already can!

From the response I guess that it doesn't really bother anyone. I didn't know and wanted to gain your guys input. I thought it would just because I have no experience with them.

I am guessing the fact that they use ATVs to get to their stands right before legal hunting light has a thing to do with keeping the deer away.

Edited by Hunterny28

I wouldn't hunt with someone who smokes in the woods. As a few others have said, if the wind is right, it's a non-factor. But, i think that cigarette smoke wafting through the woods will eliminate any chance of seeing deer coming from the downwind direction.

I haven't had all that much luck with deer coming in from downwind either before or after I quit smoking. The only thing I don't know is how many deer stopped dead in their tracks before they actually came into view because of some cigarette smoke. Here's my theory:..... yes a deer downwind has a very good chance of detecting your presence because you cannot mask or destroy all of your scent. And that is true wheher you smoke or not. BUT ....... creating more (stronger) scent than is necessary (as in smoking) simply extends the alarm downwind faster and farther and in a more concentrated and alarming form. That just makes sense to me. Back when I used to smoke, I never argued the point that I was handicapping myself. It was just a handicap that I accepted.

Now, anyone can argue as to what a deer thinks when they smell cigarette smoke. I never had one tell me so I really don't know. However, older deer may have had more experience with associating cigarette smoke with humans. Again, I have a real problem figuring out what deer are thinking, but I'll bet my not smoking hasn't turned out to be a bad thing where deer hunting is concerned.

At any rate, there are a lot of much better reasons for quitting smoking than simply its effect on hunting success or failure ...... lol. :smoke:

I chew and spit right around the stand and have never had a problem, I think this puts more scent out as it lingers in the ground as opposed to smoke blowing away in the wind. Anyone else chew or dip?

I am a smoker but only chew in the woods.Do not want to start any fire's.

its an unnatural smell to a deer in the woods and will more than likely alert him. but with that being said if you enjoy a nice smoke while on the stand and that is part of the experiance for you, then have at it...hunting should be a sport that is to be enjoyed without having to look for acceptance from others.

to many know it alls. thats all i have to say. been there done it. it has no effect from what i have ever seen.

know it alls? its common sence.... since your a smoker you should know how smoke practically smells worse in the cold then having a smoke in warmer weather. Ever smell someone during winter months after having a smoke? it reaks. Problem is most smokers DO NOT smell a difference or are even phased by the smell of smoke so just because you arent doesnt mean a deer isnt either. Being a know it all has nothing to with it.

also after smoking prior before entering the deer woods and touching branches on the way in or particles of clothing touching branches and so on. You think deer cant smell a foreign smell and dart out before you even see them? i descent to the max and even with that one can never be 100% scent free and i still had deer smell the exact leaves i stepped on while entering my stand. Now throw smoke in the equation and you think it doesnt alert a deer in any way? thats silly lol