Which would you prefer??

Grizz1219

Wouldnt be that different, we drink bottled water anyway..bummer for the dog, who drinks from the toiley..he says that water tastes like chit anyway

Be careful Pat they say if you drink that frackin water it could affect your brain.

That's probably accurate.

But in a town not far from here it has become a very heated issue, to the point where there has been threats exchanged during town meetings.

The big land owners want the lease money and royalties the small plot land owners want nothing to do with it, It's just greed.MHO

The big land owners want the lease money and royalties the small plot land owners want nothing to do with it, It's just greed.MHO

I agree the homeowner who lives on 1/4 acre lot doesn't have much to gain therefore wouldn't be pro gas drilling, but like I said before our country needs it and NY sure could use the jobs.

I agree the homeowner who lives on 1/4 acre lot doesn't have much to gain therefore wouldn't be pro gas drilling, but like I said before our country needs it and NY sure could use the jobs.

Why do you say our country needs the gas? In fact it's not true we have all we need right now. Check the stock marked NAT GAS IS DOWN MOST OF THE year. This is a local issue right here in NY. Most gas is used in the cities and not much up north, costs too much to run gas lines, not enough profit in rural areas. Would you give up your wood burning stove for gas heat? The conversion may cost 3-4 thousand dollars, provided there is a gas main in front of your house. But what you haven't heard is that the gas companies may sell the gas over seas not here as we all expected.

Our town just had words exchanged over the voulenteer fire co....people find anything to complain about..i can pay taxes on it, but if theres a benifit to be had from it then everyone throws in 2 cents about it..and if im not mistaken only a few out of thousands upon thousands of sites have ever gone "bad"..

As far as the origi nal topic goes, you are always going to have law breakers, and yes, you have to take them into account, but you cant let them deter something that you want to or should do. I would much rather see a few guys buy extra buck tags for their ol' ladies so they can still get 2 bucks than see the state push ARs on everyone.

Our town just had words exchanged over the voulenteer fire co....people find anything to complain about..i can pay taxes on it, but if theres a benifit to be had from it then everyone throws in 2 cents about it..and if im not mistaken only a few out of thousands upon thousands of sites have ever gone "bad"..

Pat don't fall for the hype that all is good in drilling land. Just take a ride to Pa, and see all the dissatisfied land owners. Then go to Syracuse where the land owners want to get out of the deals they signed because the gas companies never gave them all the info on the drilling methods. And they haven't even started drilling yet.

AR sucks. I would sell my cabin if they went that way.Period. They did that crap here in Pa and it works just fine to produce bigger racks....if your one of those rack hunters. I hunt to fill the freezer and get out in the woods. Size of bone on the head makes no nevermind...I have a big 8 mounted and more laying around.Cost too much to mount them anymore. Limit me to 1 buck is fine if it would happen.

Not a rack hunter but took the time and money to have one mounted :wacko: ... AR's have no rule against filling the freezer either.. so you'd be ok.

My gun, my stand, my bullet, my land..all i want is a good shot..you dont like what im takin..dont look at all..you want to support an idea that controls everyones judgement says you cant stand that..mature 4 pts fill the freezer better than a mature doe..and also pollute the gene pool..you should thank me for taking deer like that out of the herd..sit there for 2-3 yrs waiting for a trophy you enjoy with yer eyes..my trophies are enjoyed by me and the families tummy being full..antlers are bonus..just my opinion

Not a rack hunter but took the time and money to have one mounted :wacko: ... AR's have no rule against filling the freezer either.. so you'd be ok.

That is partially correct.... That 8pt was the last day of the season,only buck seen all season and during the last minutes of legal shooting time,wouldn't you? If it would have been a little y buck,it would have went down just the same,just would'nt have been mounted.You won't hear me complain about not seeing/shooting monster buck.To me a legal kill is a legal kill and tastes the same. Now if a bruiser walks along,guess what...yep,bang flop.Makes no difference to me.Time in the woods and meat in the freezer. Hell I don't care if all I shoot is a big ole doe. Let's see if we can get them to change that season while we're at it? The doe have to be without young,have to be older than dirt and weigh x amount on the hoof.Yeah it's silly....just like AR. JMO

Edited by Single_shot

You want to see the deer heard jump up right quick. I am sure the insurance company's wouldn't like it.

one month bow season ( because I'm a bow hunter)

one week of regular gun ( bucks only this week) doe days to follow

one week muzzle loader

No antler restrictions (individual pref)

One buck rule state wide ( how many deer do you need)

try a different approach at teaching hunter education

Why stop at one month for bow? you go to Ohio or most any big buck state west of that and you can bow hunt pretty much fron the end of Sept to the beginning of Feb.. Not really sure why we have to have such a limit on our bow season. You only have a certain amount of tags that you can use so what difference does it make weather you punch them in Oct or January??

I wonder why it's assumed that "meat hunters" don't appreciate a good set of antlers. My guess is that the so-called meat hunters simply don't obsess over them or consider antlers to be the only reason for deer hunting, or the only measure of success in a deer hunting.

I am a "meat hunter". I have only ever seen one buck alive while hunting in the 13 years i have hunted, he was after a doe and i never even touched my gun. If i had a shot at one i just might mess it up from excitement. My thinking is doe meat is better tasting, or smaller younger deer is better. But who wouldn't love to shoot a great rack to brag? I still might have my day for i have many years to hunt. My measure of success is my learning something while i am hunting.

I wonder why it's assumed that "meat hunters" don't appreciate a good set of antlers. My guess is that the so-called meat hunters simply don't obsess over them or consider antlers to be the only reason for deer hunting, or the only measure of success in a deer hunting.

Edited by paula

I am a "meat hunter". I have only ever seen one buck alive while hunting in the 13 years i have hunted, he was after a doe and i never even touched my gun. If i had a shot at one i just might mess it up from excitement. My thinking is doe meat is better tasting, or smaller younger deer is better. But who wouldn't love to shoot a great rack to brag? I still might have my day for i have many years to hunt. My measure of success is my learning something while i am hunting.

In the past few years I have shot a few bucks that had 3 pts on at least one side Two 6 pt with gun and one 6 pt with a bow. They just happen to be the deer that I saw and were in shooting range so I took them. I am by no means a trophy hunter I take what is dealt to me and no matter what it is I am happy, buck small or large, doe etc. Sure I would shoot a big rack buck, but it's not my main reason for hunting. I like meat in the freezer, being in the woods and appreciating what nature has to teach me. Next year we have AR in my area, can't wait to see what that will do to the hunting.Not in favor of the AR, feel it's the hunters choice.

I am not a "meat" hunter or a "rack" hunter but rather a deer hunter. Right now (IMO) the NY deer heard is screwed up. There doesn't seem to be any balance. Question is how do we fix it . ( if it needs fixing) or better yet make it so it works for everyone ?

After being pro-A/R for many years I don't think this is the answer. I would lean more toward one buck rule for sure.

I have nothing against meat hunting... most hunters love venison.. my gripe would be using it as an argument against AR's... unless maybe you live in an area that doesn't give out doe permits... then it might be an argument... I'm not sure why it's ok to be a meat hunter for some but not ok to be an antler hunter...

Just some food for thought.. some like to complain that AR's limit their choices.. but it works the opposite way as well.. big bucks hunters have had their choices limited as well... the historic slaughter of yearling bucks has lessened the amount of bigger bucks in the woods for guys that like bigger bucks and there is nothing we can do about it.. just sayin'

Edited by nyantler

I have nothing against meat hunting... most hunters love venison.. my gripe would be using it as an argument against AR's... unless maybe you live in an area that doesn't give out doe permits... then it might be an argument... I'm not sure why it's ok to be a meat hunter for some but not ok to be an antler hunter...

Just some food for thought.. some like to complain that AR's limit their choices.. but it works the opposite way as well.. big bucks hunters have had their choices limited as well... the historic slaughter of yearling bucks has lessened the amount of bigger bucks in the woods for guys that like bigger bucks and there is nothing we can do about it.. just sayin'

Joe, it's been like that for as long as I have been hunting. So even with out AR you can still hunt your big bucks if you want too. Just as you have done in the past. But know with AR the odds are more in your favor. Not in the favor of the average hunter, his choices are limited and yours are going up. So for the trophy hunters this is a good deal, not so for those not in favor of AR. Edited by Dave