cameras

cbx46

I've forgotten my exact models but I've had a 2 and a 4 mega pixel stealth cam (I believe) plus the external battery pack. One thumb up & one down , bad battery life, good pics, slow triggering, would be good for over a feeder or Apple tree etc... unless pointed down a trail.

I have 4 StealthCam Sniper Pro IR's with external 12v. Trigger speed is a little slower than others but the videos and photos are great. 8mp. I give them a thumbs up. Only had 1 fail and I mailed it to them and they gave me a brancd new one.. not a refurb. I get 3 to 4 months on the external. With the 6 internal C cells about 3 weeks.

I have a Moultrie I60, love the quality of pics. Battery life is ok with D cells, but I am going to get the external battery pack/solar panel so it wont be an issue. Trigger speed is good. Only complaint is the LCD screen died and getting ahold of Moultrie's tech support is like pulling teeth.

I also have a WGI W6XDE. pic quality is ok, but trigger speed isnt as good as my Moultrie. Battery life is killer due to the external pack. I havent used it long enough to say whether I really like it or not though. I got the cam cheap and dont regret it.

I have a ScoutGuard 550V, Cuddeback Capture and a 5yr old hybrid.

SG has great triggering zone, semi-fast trigger speed, battery life is ok, but the photos leave a lot to be desired.

The Cuddeback has good battery life, fairly decent photos, fast triggerspeed, but the triggering/detection zone is VERY small.

The hybrid has a Sony Digital camera inside so the photos are terrific. Excellent detection zone & pretty good triggering speed.

Fivve years ago I paid just over $200. To replace it with a similiar hybrid to day would cost more than 2X as much.

Next game cam - 2011 Bushnell Trophy Cam.

I have a Bushnell Trophy cam as well. This is a replacement to the original which had issues with false triggers. Bushnell Cust svc was great, I received a new camera within 2 weeks and was back in the field. 5 mp resolution quality is great both color and night B&W.

We own 4 Moultrie i40 GameSpy,( oldest 4 years), 1 Moultrie i60, and a Stealth cam STC-1540IR ( first IR OUT) 6- D battery life in the Moultries, at least 3 months on 700 pics. Trigger speed is fast enough on scrapes and rubs, but to slow in trails on the i40. The I 60 seems a little better on this. I feel that we are missing pics on all models. Good daytime pics, but some blurry night pics on all models. As stated above, lost LCD screen on 2 of the i40s, and lost it on the I60 now as well. Have not tried to contact customer service, but I refuse to pull teeth, lol. This is the first trouble we've had since new. I wouldn't buy an 80 or 100 model because they went to C batteries. Think they shrunk the case, Ds wouldn't fit. The Stealth C batteries last 2 weeks, Take pics when it wants, but are clear night and day. It's still works good for a first 5 year old IR camera.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Just bought a Stealth prowler xt ( on sale plus dicks 2 yr replacement warrenty it came to $111). Have not put it outside yet, plan on putting it out after season is done. Have played with it alot inside and am quite impressed with is so far. Little complicated to set up but once I learn what buttons do what i shouldnt have to carry the owners manule around with me anymore. I notice that stealth owners say that there cameras are slow to trigger. This one say's 1sec trigger on the package and so far its been pretty close to that as far as I can tell. I have the external battery box from a prior 35mm camera I had before but it was a 6 volt battery so I had to make some adjustments to the box then ad a 12v so we'll see how good the battery is. If it lasts as long as some people say it may be out there for a while before I can tell you how well it works. OH yeah I still have to get some SD cards to glad I reminded myself. :lol:

Just bought my brother the Moultrie M-80 from amazon new for 120 w/ tax. However the product description says it runs off of 4 or 8 aa batt. This will be the first of the new cameras in our retooling of our upstate property since I had my stealth cam stolen out east and my other broke. If it works well i might get one, but I am def getting a trophy cam for myself. I am also getting a few, prob 2 of those WGI 2 mp for the public land I hunt. (where my stealth cam was stolen) I guess I'll learn if it happens again it's just such a great tool for the off season if you are going to commit yourself all season to an area.

I wouldn't buy an 80 or 100 model because they went to C batteries.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a scoutguard 550 its two years old and does not miss a beat great on batterys i put a set in in august 2011 they are still going strong ,the night pictures are grainy but who cares its about knowing when the deer are coming through.

I just got a moultrie M80 i set it out on a corn pile it takes pictures of me setting it up then it will take a few deer pictures and for some reason it shuts down .

After it gets light it will start to take pictures again i dont know if i got it set up in the wrong settings ,does anyone have a M80 ??

Thanks Lefty

Edited by Lefty

i use the bushnel trophy cams (8mp). i love them... great quality IR and day time pics, very fast trigger speed and recovery time is 2nd best on the market. i think you can get them for like $160 on some sites? it uses 4 or 8 AA bat that last 6 months to a year. great cam for very cold weather also. i also have a cheap wildgames IR 2.0. not a bad cam, decent trigger speed and slow recovery time. uses expensive batteries that dont last more then a few weeks...

I started with a wildgame ir5d. the battery life is horrible, it works when it feels like it, and the trigger speed is very slow.

I upgraded to a bushnell trophy cam 8mp this year and I absolutely love it. it has an excellent battery life trigger speed is right around 1 second. picture and video quality is good but I make it better with photo editing software that alows me to brighten up the dark areas so I find things I didn't see in the original pictures, and it always works.

I have a scoutguard 550 its two years old and does not miss a beat great on batterys i put a set in in august 2011 they are still going strong ,the night pictures are grainy but who cares its about knowing when the deer are coming through.

I just got a moultrie M80 i set it out on a corn pile it takes pictures of me setting it up then it will take a few deer pictures and for some reason it shuts down .

After it gets light it will start to take pictures again i dont know if i got it set up in the wrong settings ,does anyone have a M80 ??

Thanks Lefty

Is the firmware the latest edition? Moultrie released a firmware upgrade to the M80 that you can download from their site. It fixes most of the known issues with this cam. It's a great cam, though. I get great battery life (not as good as my SG550 but still one set will get me through a full season (Sept-December).

Update on my WGI W6XDE, I like this cam alot so far. The pics are pretty good, and its set to video mode now, and Ill be pulling the card to check it this weekend. If its decent on video mode, Ill have to give it a thumbs up overall. I have no idea about battery life on it though, I use rechargable battery packs that last for a looooong time. Last time I checked, it had been up for 2 weeks and hadnt put a dent in the battery level yet.

Thanks for the info on the M80s phade. Ive been thinking of picking up a couple of those, and will for sure now.

I keep debating weather or not I want to try them out. They keep getting better... It is still a very new technology being implemented and I still see a lot of bugs. Sounds like the Bushnell Trophy is pretty good. If I had a better idea where the deer trails were I might actually try them but sometimes just finding a deer trail is an endeavour. I usually find the well worn trails are used by a group of doe, yet I do not find them too often in the area I hunt. With such a vast area of woods I would have problems determining where to put one or two on public land and would fear the theft of the device after hearing about all the poeple who steal them...

Update on my WGI W6XDE, I like this cam alot so far. The pics are pretty good, and its set to video mode now, and Ill be pulling the card to check it this weekend. If its decent on video mode, Ill have to give it a thumbs up overall. I have no idea about battery life on it though, I use rechargable battery packs that last for a looooong time. Last time I checked, it had been up for 2 weeks and hadnt put a dent in the battery level yet.

Thanks for the info on the M80s phade. Ive been thinking of picking up a couple of those, and will for sure now.

If you want a good deal...go to Amazon and buy the WGI w6xac...same cam as yours with camo. $49.99! Cams come with the August manufacturing date, which has the new firmware that fixes any of the whiteout issues that were found in the previous firmware version. I bought four of them this week...perfect for high-risk areas at $50 a pop and can handle more important locations as well with a great sensor...picked me up at 60 feet.

It's probably one of the best deals I've seen on a usable cam in years. Love my M80...but for the price, the WGI deal is solid. Easy to warranty, too, if an issue does come up. Their customer service is easy to reach and work with. But, from my research, I know multiple users who are running this cam since Sept. with not one whiteout or issue. Batteries lasting 4-6 weeks with 6 being more common and thousands of pics taken on the set.

I keep debating weather or not I want to try them out. They keep getting better... It is still a very new technology being implemented and I still see a lot of bugs. Sounds like the Bushnell Trophy is pretty good. If I had a better idea where the deer trails were I might actually try them but sometimes just finding a deer trail is an endeavour. I usually find the well worn trails are used by a group of doe, yet I do not find them too often in the area I hunt. With such a vast area of woods I would have problems determining where to put one or two on public land and would fear the theft of the device after hearing about all the poeple who steal them...

That's the thing...if you are having issues finding trails...the cams will do that for you. Sometimes the most valuable information is what doesn't show up vs. what does....

So, you buy a new cam, set it for a week, see no deer, then you move it. Eventually, you'll find the trails, and you'll learn a ton more. Just be scent-free, handle the cams appropriately (I'm to the point now I treat my cams as if I were hunting...gloves are worn when handling them and they are kept in a tote).

If you want a good deal...go to Amazon and buy the WGI w6xac...same cam as yours with camo. $49.99! Cams come with the August manufacturing date, which has the new firmware that fixes any of the whiteout issues that were found in the previous firmware version. I bought four of them this week...perfect for high-risk areas at $50 a pop and can handle more important locations as well with a great sensor...picked me up at 60 feet.

It's probably one of the best deals I've seen on a usable cam in years. Love my M80...but for the price, the WGI deal is solid. Easy to warranty, too, if an issue does come up. Their customer service is easy to reach and work with. But, from my research, I know multiple users who are running this cam since Sept. with not one whiteout or issue. Batteries lasting 4-6 weeks with 6 being more common and thousands of pics taken on the set.

Mine has the camo, but came as a kit with a battery pack, charger and memory card. Got it for @ $60 tax included. I like the options on the Moultries and also the Bushnells enough to buy them though.

Just bought a Stealth prowler xt ( on sale plus dicks 2 yr replacement warrenty it came to $111). Have not put it outside yet, plan on putting it out after season is done. Have played with it alot inside and am quite impressed with is so far. Little complicated to set up but once I learn what buttons do what i shouldnt have to carry the owners manule around with me anymore. I notice that stealth owners say that there cameras are slow to trigger. This one say's 1sec trigger on the package and so far its been pretty close to that as far as I can tell. I have the external battery box from a prior 35mm camera I had before but it was a 6 volt battery so I had to make some adjustments to the box then ad a 12v so we'll see how good the battery is. If it lasts as long as some people say it may be out there for a while before I can tell you how well it works. OH yeah I still have to get some SD cards to glad I reminded myself. :lol:

I can honestly say this is a good camera. The time from detection to picture taking is lacking but if you face the camera down the trail or put on food plot you will get more than enough pics. takes clear pics in all three resolution settings and havent had a blurry pic so far. I have the 12 volt battery pack for the stealth and put it out for 2 weeks in the last spot and cam said the battery was still full after.