2012 SZ Bow Season opening - NYSDEC

nyslowhand

Response to an eMail I sent to Region 8 administration.

And we all know how fast government works....................

"The Deer Management Plan has been finalized and approved. The Plan is just that, a plan for how to manage the deer resource of NYS for the next five years. DEC staff are now working to begin implementing parts of the plan.

So, while the plan calls for moving the Southern Zone Archery season opening date to October 1, that cannot occur until the regulation is changed. Changing regulations take some time, as each proposed change must go through a public comment period. At this point the archery season regulation change has not yet been drafted, but it is possible that this regulation change could be completed in time for the 2012-13 season, and definitely could be done by the 2013-14 season.

You can keep track of what regulations have been proposed and/or adopted by visiting this page: http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/propregulations.html

Michael R. Wasilco

Regional Wildlife Manager

NYS Department of Environmental Conservation

Region 8 Bureau of Wildlife

6274 East Avon-Lima Road

Avon, NY 14414

(585)226-5460"

Okay, I got a 2nd response to my initial eMail to the DEC.

And they wonder why the general public is confused or misinformed............

Seems to contradict original response by another individual within same office.

Who really knows???????

After a lengthy comment and review period, the Deer Plan was approved as final a couple months ago. The season changes, including the Oct. 1 bow start date will take effect next season, fall 2012.

Art Kirsch

Sr. Wildlife Biologist

NYS DEC, Bureau of Wildlife

6274 E. Avon-Lima Rd.

Avon, NY 14414

(585) 226-5461 Voice

(585) 226-6323 Fax

Edited by nyslowhand

Yeah, so are we confused?

My 1st post had a different response from DEC official; maybe Oct 1, 2012.

Last response from another DEC official; definately Oct 1, 2012.

Okay, so it's going to happen - sometime!

I'm not making any definate plans for 2012, just yet!

It's good to see it in writing . Al Kirch , who responded the 2nd time , is the guy that I try to get hold of for any info .

About the only time I see any of the DEC guys is at a Sportsmen's Banquet or at the Region 8 Hunting Days in September in Avon . If you ask two different DEC officers the same question you may get two separate answers .

I'm thinking we'll get the O.K. for rifle in Ontario County AND Oct 1st bow opener??

Sweet dreams, baby!

The comment about rifles in Ontario County was a joke ..... right? Or have you heard something that I haven't? As far as I have heard, that issue is a dead-duck here. We had our chance and our legislators screwed it up ...... bad. Not just once but 2 times .... or was that 3 times? Now the anti-rifle forces are organized and waiting for the next attempt.