good girl!

Paula

"Governor Tom Corbett has signed Pennsylvania Castle Doctrine legislation into law. This common-sense measure permits law-abiding citizens to use force, including deadly force, against an attacker in their home and any place where they have a legal right to be. It also protects individuals from civil lawsuits by an attacker or attacker’s family when force is used.

"

Gotta love it,good for her.Saw it on the news this am. They don't have to be in the house anymore.

"Governor Tom Corbett has signed Pennsylvania Castle Doctrine legislation into law. This common-sense measure permits law-abiding citizens to use force, including deadly force, against an attacker in their home and any place where they have a legal right to be. It also protects individuals from civil lawsuits by an attacker or attacker’s family when force is used.

"

Gotta love it,good for her.Saw it on the news this am. They don't have to be in the house anymore.

Only you live in Pennsylvania. This doesn't help us. lol

I stand corrected.

Out of curiousity, say an invader breaks into you home. Grabs your TV and runs off. You give chase and shoot him/her in the back right while he/she is still on your lawn. Legal or not?

You have a right to use other than deadly force to detain them though. but at that point I write the TV off as a loss.

All my guns are locked up,so if I find someone in my house am I allowed to use a bat?And how many times am I allowed to swing it?I think they should give this woman a medal!

I have all but my 12 ga Winchester locked up too. My Win is in a strategic location for easy access in case some dirtbag decides to pay a visit.

New York

New York's justification statute dates from 1968 and allows deadly force to be used in a number of circumstances. Under Penal Law § 35.15, in general, deadly force may be used as necessary to defend against unlawful deadly force used by another. Retreat is required when one knows it can be done with complete personal safety to innocent parties. Even then, no retreat is required when a person is in his dwelling and not the initial aggressor, or is defending against kidnapping, forcible rape, forcible criminal sexual act or robbery, or is preventing arson or is terminating a burglary or attempted burglary of an occupied building as allowed by Penal Law § 35.20

There was a good example of this here in Steuben County a couple of years ago...

A man knocks on the door of an elderly couple's house... Not knowing who it is, they do not respond.. A few minutes later, the guy breaks a bathroom window at the rear of the house and enters...

The old gent ( in his 80s) confronts the intruder with a Walther ( which is legal and registered).... The guy advances on the homeowner.. The old gent drills him...

The guy sits on the floor bleeding, while the homeowner calls 911...

Unfortunately, the dirtbag survives... Fortunately, the shooting is declared justified right from the get go, and the intruder is convicted of breaking and entering PLUS a number of other burglaries and is currently cooling his heels in state prison for a substantial period of time.

Hopefully, he is currently sharing a cell with some big, oversexed cellmate named TYRONE...

Elmo, Here is the exact wording of the statutes regarding your scenario:

2. A person in possession or control of any premises, or a person licensed or privileged to be thereon or therein, may use physical force upon another person when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate what he reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted commission by such other person of a criminal trespass upon such premises. He may use any degree of physical force, other than deadly physical force, which he reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose, and he may use deadly physical force in order to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of arson, as prescribed in subdivision one, or in the course of a burglary or attempted burglary, as prescribed in subdivision three.

3. A person in possession or control of, or licensed or privileged to be in, a dwelling or an occupied building, who reasonably believes that another person is committing or attempting to commit a burglary (ransacking) of such dwelling or building, may use deadly physical force upon such other person when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of such burglary.

I certainly would consider ransacking an attempted burglary not to mention criminal trespass. I would pull the trigger first and then ask questions.

Now, here's the problem with the whole concept. While I'd be struggling to recall & interpret the law in an effort to ensure I followed it, the friggin' burgler would make off with all of my stuff and have time to hit the fridge on the way out.

GOOD, she did what was needed to be done...

you never know what an intruder has on hand ready to use for force and i myself would not wait longer then identifying that the individual is not supposed to be in my house, only to find out the hard way he had a gun or knife intending to use it. Home invasions are NOT uncommon and i for one as a home owner will do what it takes to protect my home and family.

Three things about this thread;

1.) Good for her. Hope she doesn't get swamped with a bunch of robe wearing liberals that think she'll need therapy.

2.) Getting to hate all these news sites loading up with 30 second ads to watch a 15 sec video.

3.) If this thread goes on another page or two, eventually it'll turn into an argument.