binoculars

littlebird13

100 does not buy very good optics. But Vortex is running a sale on some of their older models. I have a couple of their scopes and they are very good quality and clarity. I would assume teh same for their binos. Otherwise I would spend the money on a bipod or rest and use my firearms scope to view the field.

Try camerland at this link - http://www.cameralandny.com

This is copied from a post on another site I belong to:

Vortex Riflescope and Binocular Sale

Vortex has announced that they are discontinuing a few items which presents a fantastic opportunity to get some great gear at super low prices. These are all brand new and HEAVILY discounted. Take advantage while supplies last.

vortexviper2-7x32.jpg

Vortex Viper 2-7x32mm riflescope for only $174.99 in your choice of BDC, C3 or V-Plex reticle

Vortex Viper 3.5-10x50mm riflescope with V-Plex reticle for only $249.99

Vortex Viper 4-12x40mm PA riflescope with V-Plex reticle for only $249.99

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm PA riflescope for only $249.99 in your choice of V-Plex or Target Dot reticle

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50mm PA riflescope with Target Dot reticle for only $279.99

If a great deal on a quality binocular is what you're looking for check out these outstanding values:

vortexfury6x32.jpg

Vortex Fury 12.5x42mm Binocular for only $199.99

Vortex Fury 10x32mm Binocular for only $174.99

Vortex Fury 8x32mm Binocular for only $174.99

Vortex Fury 6.5x32mm Binocular for only $169.99

Remember, with any Vortex Binocular purchase you can add their Vortex Binocular Harness Strap for only $10.00.

Please feel free to give a call to me or Neil with any questions.

Now with that said, now is a great time to pick up a set of binos. The stores have tons of stuff on sale and you can pick up a decent set of binos from Bushnell, etc for under $100. Check Dicks Sporting Goods or Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. Dont let these optics salesmen fool you, you dont need high end optics just to hunt, but you dont want complete junk either. Youll want something that has good anti fog coatings and some that are shock resistant if possible. Look through as many as you can and buy the best ones you can afford.

This may be a record. Condemned on my third post. I will bow to the moderator.

No sense in being a smart ass . You may not have any idea of how it feels to have some nimrod looking at you through a scope . I have..... during shotgun season . I confronted the guy and called him about every name in the book .

Also , the request was for Binos under $100 . I don't see any in the post .

I have a set of nikon compacts 8 power I think.  They work great.  Just the right size to carry with me and not too bulky. They were 89 bucks at gander mtn.  WNY is 100 percent correct. I teach the hunter safety class and one of the points we stress is a scope is used to magnify an already known safe target you plan to shoot at, not for target identification.  Maybe a refresher course may be in order.

I have several pairs of Binoculars but when it comes to deer hunting I go with a little higher end.  Depending on how much and type of use $100 pair just won't cut it with me. If you spend alot of time glassing or you use it in low light you might be happier with a better pair. I use  10X42 Pinnacles by Leopold. But its personal preferance so what ever works for you.

i've never used binoculars before for hunting but now i'm hunting a long field. what do u guys things is the best value for under $100

I am not much of an expert on binoculars. I have a fairly powerful set of binocs that I bought a jillion years ago from sears. They are super clear and have a fair size field of view and plenty of magnification. I generally use them during gun season for still hunting. It takes a pile of patience, but I genearly take a couple of very slow steps, and then stop and thoroughly glass every inch of what's ahead of me. It takes forever to make any progress through a woods, but you would be surprised how all of a sudden you will see an ear, or a tip of an antler, or spot a small patch of fur that is just the right color, or catch a slight movement of a tail. It's not a process for those with little patience, and you have to keep telling yourself over and over to slow down. But I do find it very productive.

Doc

Good point Eddie, weight can be an issue and is a good thing to think about. I too, am in the market for a decent pair of 8x or 10x binos this year. I saw some Bushnells at Gander that looked good, but Im gonna hold off just a little longer and see how good of a deal I can get. I would love to get a pair of Vortex binos, I love my Vortex scope, but I just dont want to spend that much on binos at this point.

i was in the same boat a few years ago and settled on pair of barska 10x42. they have the bak 4 roof prism and are fulley coated. i love them and they are not bulky put them on a bino strap system and use them for everything. i didnt need camo so it save ya 10 bucks. i think mine were around $60.00 look at natchez or midway or do a search.

For a long time I used a Bushnell bino that I got for free from my company when I reached my 5 year mark.  They worked pretty good but I really didn't know otherwise.  I replaced them with a Nikon Monarch 8x42 and the difference was pretty dramatic.  The Nikon's are a vast improvement in clarity.  To be fair, the Bushnell was not something from their better line.  I'm quite sure Bushnell makes good bino's. 

Generally speaking, I think the $180/200 to about $400/500 range is where you find the best dollar to value ratio for both scopes and bino's. Under say $180 you start to get into questionable territory as far as quality and durability is concerned.  But going over $500, I think you begin to see a diminishing return.  Do I really need an $800 scope to shoot a deer?  Of course this is purely a matter of opinion.  I'm sure $1000+ Swarovski's are great products. Deals can certainly be had for under $200. 

For a long time I used a Bushnell bino that I got for free from my company when I reached my 5 year mark.  They worked pretty good but I really didn't know otherwise.  I replaced them with a Nikon Monarch 8x42 and the difference was pretty dramatic.  The Nikon's are a vast improvement in clarity.  To be fair, the Bushnell was not something from their better line.  I'm quite sure Bushnell makes good bino's. 

Generally speaking, I think the $180/200 to about $400/500 range is where you find the best dollar to value ratio for both scopes and bino's. Under say $180 you start to get into questionable territory as far as quality and durability is concerned.  But going over $500, I think you begin to see a diminishing return.  Do I really need an $800 scope to shoot a deer?  Of course this is purely a matter of opinion.  I'm sure $1000+ Swarovski's are great products. Deals can certainly be had for under $200.

I own a fairly broad range of both scopes and binos and this post is about as close to spot on as I have seen any place.IMHO; Well done.

I have several Euro pieces of glass, they are terrific. On a high dollar outfitted hunt any edge you can get could be an advantage. Can I tell the difference in both optic and mechanical performance? Yes. But for most applications? Maybe not so much. They shine when conditions are poor and shots are far.

I have come to hunt with glass not my feet, so for me a good set of binos are a must. I have the Nikon 8x42's as mentioned to keep in the truck; good glass for the money for sure. You can often find these at very decent prices for very good glass...mid $200's. Mine have taken a beating and still are solid performers.

Frankly most optics can look good in a lighted store. Always try friends optics when given the chance in field conditions;that is when you see the difference.

Good hunting!

As an older hunter, almost 57, I've hunted since I was 16. Never missed an opening day. Took up bowhunting 6 years ago... duh why did I wait?

Anyway... I was always a cheapskate when it came to binos. When I add up the all the $69 and the $75 and the $119 and the $139 or so I have spent over the years I shoulda spent the $450+/- I spent a few seasons ago. I bought a pair of Zeiss 10X30, fairly small and compact. Really... just bite the bullet and buy one good pair that will last for ever.

A good set of binos are so valuable.