Are these moose rubs?

315hunter

Yeah, it's hard to tell from the picture just how high and how big this rub is. Sometimes it is useful to include something in the picture that gives you some idea of scale. So how high would you estimate the top of those rubs are?

I'm not all that familiar with moose rubs, but I would think if a moose worked those over, they most likely would be twisted and busted flat. I don't think they are very gentle....lol.

Yes, moose do strip bark off trees to eat, particularly striped maple. The first time I ran across a striper so stripped, I had no idea what I was looking at. Now our moose population has grown sufficiently here in Rensselaer County that such sightings are common.

an article I read awhile back said moose population was approaching 800 in up state NY....I've yet to see one however there are multiple sightings in the Lake george area.....some with photo's in local papers ...guessing their moving west from VT and NH. The older fella that owns alot of property across the street from my tract of land in Lake Luzerne NY, claims he has seen a bull a couple of times on his land and it was a spike horn.....he said the top of his ears were 8ft off the ground...and was not at all bothered by this guy's presence......good chance that was a rub...

where were you 315 hunter in the ADK's this last wknd.......your in my back yard.....6 million acres strong...........and yet I did not see one buck this year.........just alot of beautiful country side...

Hey....I can join Bubba.. We both have something we can agree with Doc on..

The biggest whitetail in the world would have to stand on his hind leg on tiptoes to make a rub six feet high. I believe that whitetails normally have four feet on the ground when they are rubbing.

Moose make rubs..I think all members of the deer family do, including elk, caribou and moose..

Porcupines eat bark, but they dont denude vertical hardwood trees like that..Also the toothmarks from thier rodent incisors would be obvious.

Black bears claws trees, but they don't completely strip bark as in that rub, and the claw marks would be deep and obvious.

One reason I know that moose make rubs.. I watched one do it...

It was early September in 1996. I was lying on a ridge on a low hill along the Mulchatna River in Alaska, looking through my 20 power spotting scope. My partner, Fungus face, was lying beside me behind his 300 Win Mag.

We were watching a bull moose across a ravine about 250 yards away...

The bull walked over to a substantial tree and started rubbing on it.

Legal requirements were that the bull be minimum 50" spread, or have at least 3 brow tines on one side.

I did not dare judge him as legal for the spread, but I made a definite count of 3 brow tines on one side...

I said..." Gridley, shoot that son of a bitch"....

I saw the hair part in the center of the bull's ribcage when the bullet hit him..

Turend out he measured 55" spread... Three of us spent all night butchering him by lantern light and then it took us 3 days to pack him back to the lake where our main camp was..

Pygmy, You have a partner named "Fungus Face" ??

Made me think of a long departed neighbor at camp. His name was "pecker head" according to my uncle..

Yes, indeed....I gave him the name after hearing the song by " Da Yoopers" entitled " Happy Birthday Fungus Face".. They are the same guys that sang " Second Week at Deer Camp" and some other classics..

Fungus Face was the person who gave me the title " Pygmy".

I have shared hunting camps with him from PA to the Arctic Circle..You could never find a better hunting partner.

Don't tell the ugly bastard that I SAID that, though...

Can't be 100% sure from the pic but it is more than likely. I guide in the Adks on private property. We have a healthy moose population and all of the moose rubs/scrapes are up about 6'. Don't usually see them go down that close to the ground though...