Fishers?

G-Man

yes, the 2nd pic looks more like a fisher. I just went through this mink or fisher thing with a picture I got and the fisher does have a different look and coloring. Mine turned out to be minks, but it looks like you may have a fisher there. Next picture you get could help and so would one of your white flash Cuddes. Nice catch though :)

Fishers are becoming more common here in Steuben County. Several of my friends who trap have caught and released them. One buddy of mine has some good trail cam pictures of one near Campbell, and another hunting buddy saw one while squirrel hunting.

I have seen the photographic proof, but I am still waiting to see my first one in the flesh.

We have many fishers where I live in NY. I have had several encounters with them...a few up close (3-4 yds) and personal. As we have seen the fisher population increase...we have seen the populations of cottontails and snowshoe hares decrease.

I have had the same thing happen at that distance. When it's eyes finally focused on me it sat up on it's hid legs...showed it's teeth and hissed. They have quite a mouth of teeth

Fishers are becoming more common here in Steuben County. Several of my friends who trap have caught and released them. One buddy of mine has some good trail cam pictures of one near Campbell, and another hunting buddy saw one while squirrel hunting.

I have seen the photographic proof, but I am still waiting to see my first one in the flesh.

Why in gods name would you catch and release them?

If you live in a part of NYS where they are illegal to trap, you have to figure out some way to release them. Same thing is true with bobcats. They are not legal to trap in all parts of NYS, so if one stumbles into your fox or coyote set, be ready for an exciting time releasing them ..... lol. If you haven't given it some thought and planning before-hand, you might just wind up with a scrambled face.

• 2 weeks later...

good pics. i didnt realize fisher were not state wide . our problem back home ( franklin county) is we were limited to 6 marten for the season, its a real pain running the fisher line at the 30th trap with 5 marten in the bag and 100 traps left to check that day....you know you're going over on marten that season.

fisher sold crazy high the other day at nafa so i expect they will be pounded next year.

I always wonder why so many threads on the internet are screaming bloody murder about predators but hardly any one traps??

Doc is correct. There is no open season in Steuben County for fishers or bobcats, so when trappers inadvertantly catch them ( usually in fox or coyote sets) they are required by law to release them. Doing so can get VERY interesting at times.

One of my buddies even caught a bear once, about a 75 pounder. It took four guys with snare sticks and lots of sweat and swearing to let that critter loose.. :fie: .....