Upstates 2021 Foodplots

I see your red line being a phenomanl spot to ambush pre rut and rut bucks. Id plant it in a nice perennial blend of clovers and chicory and alfalfa and hang some hemp rope or grape vine for mock scrapes with cameras. Keep the path like narrow.  Whats that square indicating? 

I finished three small food plots the other day and already have sprouts!  Hoping this upcoming rain gives them a nice head start….also planted some pumpkins in my plots (left over from my pumpkin patches).  I’ll take some Picts later to share.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I clipped a couple strips of clover and then scalped off 3/4 of an acre of grass. I'll start tilling tomorrow.  That ground will all be in a brassica mix.  I'm hoping we don't get more thunderstorms.  It's just starting to really dry out.

Yeah, one lower plot I had to raise the hydraulics on the disc about a dozen times to get out of the mud.  Wound up just pulling it downhill through the wet area.  Still pretty flipping wet.

• Like 1

I haven't started tilling.  The temps and breeze are drying things out nicely, but I didn't want to till it up just to get dumped on by a thunderstorm.  I also didn't really want to creep along with the tiller in this heat, or spread lime-ash, fertilizer and seed by hand when it's pushing 90 degrees.  Thanks to global warming I can delay planting until next week and still easily have 60 frost free days for it to grow.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am guessing most of my plants were prob underwater from this last rainstorm we had.  Had a ton of flooding and 5-6 inches of rain. Didnt go out fishing this morn, the lake is a mess too. Docks, trees, loose boats floating around out there.  

Go figure the first year we try any food plots.  Might check tomorrow but guessing they are prob fubar considering it's swampy there anyway. 

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Got winter wheat and rye in today, bit late.  Everything is so damn wet.  Plotmaster works pretty good in pre-tilled earth, wouldn't want to have to break sod with it though.  We should have about 5 acres of plots in this year.

IMG_20210821_082844.jpg

It is still a bit early for wheat.  I always aim for around Sept 10.  Speaking of which,  I need to coax my dad into picking up a few bushels of that, along with some white clover. The seed place is always closed by the time I get out of work during the week and all of my Saturday mornings are booked until then.

On 8/21/2021 at 3:36 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

I am guessing most of my plants were prob underwater from this last rainstorm we had.  Had a ton of flooding and 5-6 inches of rain. Didnt go out fishing this morn, the lake is a mess too. Docks, trees, loose boats floating around out there.  

Go figure the first year we try any food plots.  Might check tomorrow but guessing they are prob fubar considering it's swampy there anyway. 

you can get some rye grain  and to save the plots still plenty of time for rye

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...