Easton or Victory

Versatile_Hunter

I personally do not like changing arrows often. I want something that will be available on the market for years to come if possible. I typically buy several dozen at a time to go a few years between purchases.

Easton would be my pick out of those two.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

You both seem underwhelmed with the options. Are you guys shooting 4mm? I was originally going to go with the FMJs but I found too many complaints about them not remaining straight. 

What bow are ya shooting , specs? 

• Like 1

I was shooting carbon express predators. The archery shop recommended them as a starter arrow a few years back and I just kept re-buying them. I’ve killed deer in MO and NY and goat in HI on 2 trips with these arrows and rage broadheads. I put zero thought into the arrow build and they shot well enough. Only issue was these arrows break very easily. Few shot arrows survived a hunt. Now that I’m belong a bit more deliberate about my next purchase, I keep stumbling into deep rabbit holes that are likely inconsequential but impossible for to ignore. 

7 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've shot the beaman ICS hunters for yrs. There far more accurate than I can be. 

yes me too and Beman went out of business.  So i also am eyeing other arrows.  I did find some left from a couple of members here that pointed me in the right direction.  But i did order some eastons axis 5mm to try out.  Ive shot those bemans for a long time and always liked them.  The eastons are a lot thinner.  will have to see how they fly.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

yes me too and Beman went out of business.  So i also am eyeing other arrows.  I did find some left from a couple of members here that pointed me in the right direction.  But i did order some eastons axis 5mm to try out.  Ive shot those bemans for a long time and always liked them.  The eastons are a lot thinner.  will have to see how they fly.  

I too shot Beman's for a long, long time and loved them. Switched over to the Eastons last year and I'm pretty impressed with how they shoot from my bow. You should find them to your liking too I'd think. 

Shoot the Victory's out of my crossbow with very good results.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

If I added correctly, my arrows have been in the 390gr range. I’d like to approach 500gr for my next build. 

You can pick up weight by going with a 75g brass insert and a heavier tip . Obviously that kind of weight change up front will require you to go stiffer on the spine.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Crap, I didn't know they went under. I had a bunch left for a few yrs, but my two nephews have depleted my stock. 

Guess I'm going to be looking for a replacement. 

Do to shoulder issues, I'm only shooting 45lbs with a 29" draw.

30 minutes ago, grampy said:

I too shot Beman's for a long, long time and loved them. Switched over to the Eastons last year and I'm pretty impressed with how they shoot from my bow. You should find them to your liking too I'd think. 

Shoot the Victory's out of my crossbow with very good results.

which eastons you shooting ?  after i bought the axis 5mm I found another one that is supposed to be closer to the bemans i was shooting - the Easton classic 6.5s .  I was going to order some of those too but i now have 10 hunting arrows, 6 practice arrows and 6 Eastons to try out.  And on a normal year might go thru 2 arrows.  

I shot Victory micro diameters and loved how they flew. I was touching arrows at 25 yds enough that I had to stop aiming at the same spot on the target. I changed to the Victory Decimators this past year because I wanted to move to a heavier/stiffer setup. I'm still shooting under a 2" group at 15, 25, and 35. Arrows are around 525gr total weight (60lb dw, 29.5 dl). I can usually find them available in the fall for less than $30 for 6. I didn't but them because their cheap... but they fly great from my setup, and it doesn't hurt that they don't break the bank.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a half dozen 5mm Easton Axis last week. I’m not happy with them - half wobble on a spinner. I shot them yesterday for the first time and they’re fine. The wobble’s gonna drive me crazy though. Thinking about checking out the match grade version. I also just got a recommendation for Black Eagle Rampage. Anyone have experience with these? They have a +/- 0.001’’ tolerance and are priced attractively. 

Some of the inserts were improperly installed. Field point wasn’t flush with the shaft. Since they used super glue at the shop, nothing to be done about it. I spoke to Easton customer service and they sent me new upgraded match grade arrows. That was unexpected and very generous of them. I’m extremely impressed with Easton. 

10 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Some of the inserts were improperly installed. Field point wasn’t flush with the shaft. Since they used super glue at the shop, nothing to be done about it. I spoke to Easton customer service and they sent me new upgraded match grade arrows. That was unexpected and very generous of them. I’m extremely impressed with Easton. 

Super glue can be heated up and removed .

29 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Super glue can be heated up and removed .

I looked a bit into this and heating cyanoacrylate glue doesn’t seem like the way to go. Most folks take advantage of the brittleness of superglue and try to wack it out. In lab we use acetone to dissolve superglue and dental cement from titanium headplates that were attached to skulls. Unfortunately it’s not a good idea to soak carbon arrows in acetone. Either way, I’m glad Easton sent me new ones.

I’ve learned how to install the Hit inserts and I’m baffled at how much the shop struggled with them. At one point they had to cut new arrows because they kept getting glue inside the inserts. I bet they covered the hole in the back of the insert with glue and the pressure in the arrow pushed the inserts out. 

Edited by Versatile_Hunter

On 7/28/2021 at 10:43 AM, Versatile_Hunter said:

I looked a bit into this and heating cyanoacrylate glue doesn’t seem like the way to go. Most folks take advantage of the brittleness of superglue and try to wack it out. In lab we use acetone to dissolve superglue and dental cement from titanium headplates that were attached to skulls. Unfortunately it’s not a good idea to soak carbon arrows in acetone. Either way, I’m glad Easton sent me new ones.

I’ve learned how to install the Hit inserts and I’m baffled at how much the shop struggled with them. At one point they had to cut new arrows because they kept getting glue inside the inserts. I bet they covered the hole in the back of the insert with glue and the pressure in the arrow pushed the inserts out. 

We superglue all our graphite electrodes to the holders . For the last 15 years I've been heating them up to get the electrode off after it's used up.

18 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

We superglue all our graphite electrodes to the holders . For the last 15 years I've been heating them up to get the electrode off after it's used up.

That probably explains alot of things....

JK

You both seem underwhelmed with the options. Are you guys shooting 4mm? I was originally going to go with the FMJs but I found too many complaints about them not remaining straight. 

I love my maxima triads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1