Duck it!

Robhuntandfish

I could never understand why anyone would want to hunt deer if there was good duck/goose hunting available...

MUCH more fun.... And my favorite game meat is a nice, fat, mallard or black duck....

They are also a lot easier to carry home than deer and the decoys are lighter...

• Like 2

Might as well stick a needle in your arm. You start hunting and killing ducks and a lot of other hunting time becomes secondary.

Skip the geese late season. Limit is usually one bird per day. Kill em in Sept instead. But the ducks, the ducks.

That pond is a gift. Spend a day in the off season and find yourself a couple spots to hunker down in for a morning duck hunt next year. Bring brush clippers. Make it comfortable. It doesn't take much to kill ducks as long as nothing in your setup shines. Keep the brim of your hat low.

Take @Otto up on his offer and shoot your gun. Pattern your gun as you would for turkeys. Steel shot sucks. Improved cyl in my gun works best with steel. Get them close and hit them hard!

• Like 1

You hunt ducks long enough in inclimate weather you'll see that a pump is the better choice over an autoloader . That Stevens will suit you just fine . 

We hunt the mohawk river along vishers ferry , I shot a banded mallard from Tennessee in 1996. Pretty cool to get one and see its history of travels.  It was 3 years old .

You think deer are fast wait to you try shooting teal or wood ducks .. Wood duck boxes are a nice winter project we do them every few years for our pond .

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

How deep is the pond? Most of my retrieving is done in waders. Setup too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

it fluctuates a lot.  Depends on how much rain.  This year of course it is deeeep.  Could prob launch the tracker in it. But def will start with waders on the edges. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

4 hours ago, Enigma said:

Might as well stick a needle in your arm. You start hunting and killing ducks and a lot of other hunting time becomes secondary.

Skip the geese late season. Limit is usually one bird per day. Kill em in Sept instead. But the ducks, the ducks.

That pond is a gift. Spend a day in the off season and find yourself a couple spots to hunker down in for a morning duck hunt next year. Bring brush clippers. Make it comfortable. It doesn't take much to kill ducks as long as nothing in your setup shines. Keep the brim of your hat low.

Take @Otto up on his offer and shoot your gun. Pattern your gun as you would for turkeys. Steel shot sucks. Improved cyl in my gun works best with steel. Get them close and hit them hard!

yeah thats what im afrain of. lol.  The rabbit hole......

In Sept im pretty much fishing and deer prep.  But the goose and duck season overlap for a couple of days so thinking thats a good time to go. i would go out there shooting prior to bow season.  Thats still #1 for me, just would like something to do late gun season instead of seeing nothing day after day.  

def will do some scouting and get setup for a spot.  Got a couple in mind already 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

You hunt ducks long enough in inclimate weather you'll see that a pump is the better choice over an autoloader . That Stevens will suit you just fine . 

We hunt the mohawk river along vishers ferry , I shot a banded mallard from Tennessee in 1996. Pretty cool to get one and see its history of travels.  It was 3 years old .

You think deer are fast wait to you try shooting teal or wood ducks .. Wood duck boxes are a nice winter project we do them every few years for our pond .

couple years ago i was sitting in our "swamp stand" deer hunting and two woodies are right there next to me on the edge of the pond.  Was thinking then i needed to switch implements.  

looking at the regs - two mallards , one goose, 3 wood (no driver?), 2 redhead (like this), 2 black, 1 pintail, and a partridge in a pear tree.  Gonna need a flow chart to get this right.  Well in reality my expectation is i am lucky to get two ducks and a goose all season.   

12 hours ago, Fletch said:

Sounds like a good time! Can you double dose? Hunt duck and deer same time?

I always hesitated for the fact is how do you know what the heck that bird has been eating? Like polluted Onondaga lake garbage, the sludge water next to someone's outhouse etc.... has Cornell ever tested bird meat lol?

I'm with you this I've seen them swing in leach-aid,incinerator and compost pools.We know when they go through an oil slick but what about a chemical we can't see 

Not trying to deter you Rob hope you enjoy the new adventure 

1 minute ago, rachunter said:

I'm with you this I've seen them swing in leach-aid,incinerator and compost pools.We know when they go through an oil slick but what about a chemical we can't see 

Not trying to deter you Rob hope you enjoy the new adventure 

lol. you guys remind me of one of the fishing sites where they post a pic and say "what is this, never seen anything like this" when they are gutting a fish.  I always stop looking and tell them to stop with the alien autopsy as they are freaking me out....lol 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I could never understand why anyone would want to hunt deer if there was good duck/goose hunting available...

MUCH more fun.... And my favorite game meat is a nice, fat, mallard or black duck....

They are also a lot easier to carry home than deer and the decoys are lighter...

Not a lot of meat on a bird? 200 pound buck lots of meat? 

• Like 1

just bought 2 boxes of black cloud #3's 3".  I figure people said 2s or 4s, so 3 is perfect?!  lol.  Plus it was available.  So that gives me 2 boxes of 2's and 2 boxes of 3s.  I figure that a good amount for any shooting i will do.  

Thats half a morning for divers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro