Garden 2022

crappyice

The late sweetcorn looks better than I was expecting (last 4 rows on left).  A couple heavy rains over the last week must have done it some good.  I have been seeing a big doe back there almost every late afternoon, and I figured she probably had it all chewed down to the ground.  She hit it pretty hard, right after it sprouted. 

The early stuff on the far right is starting to make some ears now.  As soon as I notice some chew marks, I am going to get a few traps out there for coons.  My corn-picking/trap-checking all-wheel drive suv is supposed to be delivered later today.  

I hope to have the first sweetcorn harvest of the year, before next weekend, so I can take some up north camping.  Sweetcorn cooked on a campfire is usually pretty good.    I’ll use up some marshmallows (wiped with peanut butter), before we go, for box trap bait.

C95E45D1-4C1A-4037-B4D5-4503EC768A3D.thumb.jpeg.cde52e13b03854f7323eb70d8ba1206a.jpeg

• Like 1

Poblanos are ready! Okra is finally booming! I'm going to start freezing the okra for fall gumbo.  Celery is for potato salad tonight.  
20220723_182550.thumb.jpg.cb2383801805b79af68ca558d1adcbb9.jpg
Did you grow the poblanos from seed or starter plants? I would love to grow some of those next year

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Did you grow the poblanos from seed or starter plants? I would love to grow some of those next year

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Seed. I start inside early March. Heavy producing pepper. They enjoy the heat, I usually don't get any till August. So good, I highly recommend trying a couple plants. I use Baron poblanos from Johnny Seeds.

• Like 1

Epic fail. I go mostly nocturnal in the hot weather so up at 2:30AM, coffee, time to make pickles! By first light the jars are sterile, brine made, spices ready, lids soaking, cukes cut, jars packed...time for the lids and into the bath as water boiling on the Bayou Classic propane cooker. Drop them in the water bath, sit back all happy and wait and then it hits me... Forgot to add the spices. Doh!  Just another opportunity for personal growth I try to convince myself. My lady makes the bread and butter while I do the dill, when she wakes up I'll tell her next batch of cukes are hers.

fail.thumb.jpg.8775f37ceb553f9742a2e3aca2b7b968.jpge over

• Sad 1

One down a few more to go… lots of heirloom tomato variety’s waiting to ripen. First every celery harvest.

Not pictured but my cukes are going gang busters getting 3-5 a day

b298405c6a6888bd8026068ca39cb6f8.jpg
e3d93dcab583fdcfc68186546d6086f2.jpg
1ce8f0070029eb8fd9e7010c2f5a9da8.jpg
ff83f5d3f6b5d58096d67148fe9e1cf3.jpg
134a7183262acd3a7d0d5dea205841f6.jpg
440dbfa94f6a22411e2a1a247f50260f.jpg
fd620e152e5d320772467b8b030f79a0.jpg
fdca3c071777221a63975ad5204eeb3e.jpg
712e1de1ef99dc981be64f34a6b8bc78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Paid the price for letting to many peppers stay on the same plant. Branches from a banana and jalapeño plant snapped. Plants should be ok but lost a few peppers.

Had our gender reveal today so I took all the kids that came over to the garden and let them have at it. They looked so happy, more then the veggies they loved cutting flowers. 

Cooked for 50 people didn't eat anything but used lots of garlic , zucchini and peppers from the garden.  I'm ready for a hard drink.

Sunflowers are a week away I'm excited. 

• Like 4

Paid the price for letting to many peppers stay on the same plant. Branches from a banana and jalapeño plant snapped. Plants should be ok but lost a few peppers.
Had our gender reveal today so I took all the kids that came over to the garden and let them have at it. They looked so happy, more then the veggies they loved cutting flowers. 
Cooked for 50 people didn't eat anything but used lots of garlic , zucchini and peppers from the garden.  I'm ready for a hard drink.
Sunflowers are a week away I'm excited. 

So was it a boy or a girl?

Thank God for the rain yesterday and overnight.  Garden took such a hit with the heat i noticed a little contraction in my plants . Leaves shrank back and wilted . Plants were not as full looking. I have watered almost every night for a month  and the temps hitting 97 and 96 this weekend  really kicked the gardens arse. 

• Like 1

Dude. I got tons of green fence you can use to stop this nonsense. 

Thanks but they are literally living in my garden. When I turned the soil I found all burrows and pockets and tunnels - pretty cool and wildly frustrating

• Like 1