Garden 2022

crappyice

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Thanks but they are literally living in my garden. When I turned the soil I found all burrows and pockets and tunnels - pretty cool and wildly frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you blacktop it?

Thanks but they are literally living in my garden. When I turned the soil I found all burrows and pockets and tunnels - pretty cool and wildly frustrating

Sounds like you picked a shit spot to plant a garden

Unfortunately all the seeds I started this year in basement didn't do chit!started most of garden by seed right in the ground.only 2 plants I put in are front zuke plant and obvious tomato plant.will see what happens, may get something from seeded plants by end of season but not hopeful.too much shade in my back lawn for garden

20220726_191557.jpg

Edited by doebuck1234

Do you not steak or cage? Why are fruits so close to the ground ?

I do stake them. Need to do a better job of pruning and forcing the fruit growth higher off the ground. BUT, I got cherry tomatoes 2' off the ground with nibbles...I'm thinking them bastids(squirrels and chipmunks) enjoy the climb and dine approach

I do gang sets all the time for mice . Something wondered off with the one Victor rat trap i didn't stake down . I will probably  find it when I remove the shed next year .

I came home to a trapped chipmunk one night and said. "I'll get him tomorrow"
The next morning it looked like it was fleshed make a banana hammock for a g-string. Head was still trapped and skin was stripped clean..

19 hours ago, crappyice said:

yeah same here. The raised beds didn't matter, they had their own subway system. I found rat traps and have-a-heart helped some too.

• Like 1

yeah same here. The raised beds didn't matter, they had their own subway system. I found rat traps and have-a-heart helped some too.

I put river rock at the bottom of my beds. Helps with drainage and weeds

• Like 1

Jalapeños and a couple wax peppers for my employee tomorrow.  She is from Honduras, worked for me 6 or 7 years. Every year during hunting season she gets venison and her family comes in and thanks me (which they don't ever have to do). But garden season I get asked every week for peppers. She has limited room so I give her a couple plants but it's not enough. 

Good people deserve good things! It makes me so happy to give away what I grow. After canning and eating what my small family can of course. 

IMG-20220728-WA0003.jpeg

• Like 2