.300 Blackout

Mainly hunting and range time. I came across a few articles saying the .300 BLK is a better option for deer, but in another article it was shown that it's not great due to not getting the expansion the .223 will when using the right ammo for the task.

After a bunch of reading and researching, I just don't see the added price for the rifle and the ammo being an upgrade. I figure asking here might give some further perspective.

7 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Mainly hunting and range time. I came across a few articles saying the .300 BLK is a better option for deer, but in another article it was shown that it's not great due to not getting the expansion the .223 will when using the right ammo for the task.

After a bunch of reading and researching, I just don't see the added price for the rifle and the ammo being an upgrade. I figure asking here might give some further perspective.

If it were me, Id still use the 223. The 300BLK would be a close range choice for deer. The 223 can get you a little further. With the right bullet and shot placement (with either caliber)you will have no issue harvesting deer with a 223. If your insisting on a deer build on an AR platform, the 350legend, 6.5 grendel or 224valk are good options also. 350, 223 and 224v ammo is everywhere    

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 1

If I were adding another caliber to my AR's right now it would be 350 legend. It's close to 30-30 ballistics wise, great deer round and I routinely see ammo and it's $1/round. In hindsight I wish I had done this with my last build, I went with 6.8spc instead and ammo price/availability arent great.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 4

The only area I may use it for deer is a spot that's really thick, and you can't see much past 60 yards. I have a spot that has a good amount of chucks, which is more what I want the rifle for.

I had considered an AR10 in .308, but those are well and beyond my price range right now. I guess maybe start with the base .223, and I can always buy different uppers as money allows?

34 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Which we can not do in NY anyways :(

Exactly. straight Trash. They are nothing but great pieces of equipment, our ears, wildlife ears(For those PETA minded folk lol) and neighborhood noise etc.. they should be mandatory for hunting. And youd think as Liberal as this state is that it would be! 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

The only area I may use it for deer is a spot that's really thick, and you can't see much past 60 yards. I have a spot that has a good amount of chucks, which is more what I want the rifle for.

I had considered an AR10 in .308, but those are well and beyond my price range right now. I guess maybe start with the base .223, and I can always buy different uppers as money allows?

Ar10 is great .. but it is heavy! I got tired of carrying my 243 and sold it. Wasnt worth it, not when you can acheive the same ballistic results from an AR15. ITs a great platform for a bench basically. Im an active boots to the ground kinda hunter and prefer lighter weight rifles. but its all in what you want. Looks like Chef has one for sale here.. 

Id still choose any of the other calibers over a 300blk. but again, thats my opinion. I dont see it useful for much anything besides close range and punching paper. IMO 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Ar10 is great .. but it is heavy! I got tired of carrying my 243 and sold it. Wasnt worth it, not when you can acheive the same ballistic results from an AR15. ITs a great platform for a bench basically. Im an active boots to the ground kinda hunter and prefer lighter weight rifles. but its all in what you want. Looks like Chef has one for sale here.. 

Id still choose any of the other calibers over a 300blk. but again, thats my opinion. I dont see it useful for much anything besides close range and punching paper. IMO 

I've been looking at ammo availibilty for the area, it's mainly .223, .300 BLK, and some 350Legend. Nothing for a .224Valkyrie. Saturday will be the whirlwind of driving to a bunch of places to put this all together. At least hopefully.

I don't plan on a scope at this point, I have a set of AR open sights I plan to put on for now. I bought them about 8 years ago, and they have just been collecting dust since.

I appreciate the info, thank you guys.

• Like 1

Love mine , fun to shoot , but mine is more of a “social gun “, I don’t hunt with it . Red dot and back up iron sights . I’ve got about 1000 rounds ,was looking  at ammo down here but it was still a buck a round for ball , did grab more proper size mags though . 

Enjoy .

I think the versatility, accessibility, and cost of the 223 is greater than the 300blk. There is a good variety of bullet choices in 223 for doing all of what you mentioned above Rob.

I have the Omni Hybrid in 223-556, and for a low cost AR, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Let us know how it all goes for you this weekend.

• Like 2

When I built my AR last year, I looked at ammo availability, cost, and effectiveness as a hunting caliber. I looked at .223, .300, .350L, .450, 6.5, 6.8 etc.. Ultimately I ended up building in the .350L. Ballistically it's nearly the same as 30-30 and effective out to about 200 yds or so. Not many guys around here are using that caliber (yet) so ammo hasn't been hard to find, and it doesn't break the bank to shoot it. I topped it with the Firefield RapidStrike 1-6 optic. I chose that over Vortex at the same price point. The glass was just as nice, better features, and I preferred the reticle along with stellar online reviews. It's zero'd about an inch low at 75 yds and I was shooting about 2 inch groups (off hand) with Winch. 180gr. 

Unfortunately I lost it in a boating accident in the fall. Sank straight to the bottom. It's too bad because I really did like that gun.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, grampy said:

I think the versatility, accessibility, and cost of the 223 is greater than the 300blk. There is a good variety of bullet choices in 223 for doing all of what you mentioned above Rob.

I have the Omni Hybrid in 223-556, and for a low cost AR, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Let us know how it all goes for you this weekend.

I'm hoping to find something to fit the wallet. I'm not looking top of the line myself, I don't plan to put a few hundred rounds a month through it. Hell, if I shoot 100 rounds a year with it, that would be a lot for me.

I think I'm sticking with .223, and as I said, down the road if I want something else I'll just get a different upper for it.

• Like 2

300blk was designed for use with a suppressor. It’s not good for anything else aside from paper punching. Light for caliber bullets generally suck for killing med game and that’s the only option in the 300blk.

Get an ar chambered in 223 wylde, then you can get cheap 5.56 for targets and quality 223 if you want to hunt with it. If you want to hunt deer with an ar15 it’s hard to beat the 350L or my personal favorite the 450BM.

If you’re doing this on a budget I highly recommend building one! You’ll get a way better quality gun for less money than you can buy a complete entry level ar off the shelf. It’s VERY easy to build one and other than a 10$ barrel wrench no special tools are required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

300blk was designed for use with a suppressor. It’s not good for anything else aside from paper punching. Light for caliber bullets generally suck for killing med game and that’s the only option in the 300blk.

Get an ar chambered in 223 wylde, then you can get cheap 5.56 for targets and quality 223 if you want to hunt with it. If you want to hunt deer with an ar15 it’s hard to beat the 350L or my personal favorite the 450BM.

If you’re doing this on a budget I highly recommend building one! You’ll get a way better quality gun for less money than you can buy a complete entry level ar off the shelf. It’s VERY easy to build one and other than a 10$ barrel wrench no special tools are required.

I should have taken you up on your offer years ago when I was thinking about building one. Life happened, and I put the AR on the back burner. I looked at kits, and didn't see anything much cheaper then buying a complete rifle local when I added shipping into the mix.

I doubt I'll be opting for a pinned mag unless I find what I like, and it's already on there. Iv'e gotten very proficient with the spur on my M&P 15 22, or I'll add something like this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021314068?pid=329339

I should have taken you up on your offer years ago when I was thinking about building one. Life happened, and I put the AR on the back burner. I looked at kits, and didn't see anything much cheaper then buying a complete rifle local when I added shipping into the mix.

I doubt I'll be opting for a pinned mag unless I find what I like, and it's already on there. Iv'e gotten very proficient with the spur on my M&P 15 22, or I'll add something like this:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021314068?pid=329339

What prices are you finding local for a complete gun?

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I know the days of building them for 300$ are gone but I would imagine you could get one done for 450$ if building, you should be able to build one and put an optic on it for under 6

$100-200 for a lower, closer to $200 for something decent, and $400+ for the complete upper kit. Pretty close to the same ballpark.

$100-200 for a lower, closer to $200 for something decent, and $400+ for the complete upper kit. Pretty close to the same ballpark.

In 2 seconds on Google I found complete kits minus lowers for 350$ with free shipping, add a 40$ Anderson lower with free shipping on GB, 20$ transfer fee and your under 425$ and don’t have to give this sh!t hole state the tax money. That’s pretty close to 200$ in savings by my math.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

In 2 seconds on Google I found complete kits minus lowers for 350$ with free shipping, add a 40$ Anderson lower with free shipping on GB, 20$ transfer fee and your under 425$ and don’t have to give this sh!t hole state the tax money. That’s pretty close to 200$ in savings by my math.

Any links for those deals? Everything I've seen in that price range for a full upper comes with a flash suppressor, and seeing I'd prefer to not pin the magazine, those aren't legal here.

8 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Any links for those deals? Everything I've seen in that price range for a full upper comes with a flash suppressor, and seeing I'd prefer to not pin the magazine, those aren't legal here.

Remove the flash suppressor which is really a name sake muzzle brake and put a thread cap on it with a small weld.

Edited by suburbanfarmer

3 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Remove the flash suppressor which is really a name sake muzzle brake and put a thread cap on it with a small weld.

No welder here. I think I'll stick to buying a completed rifle and be done with it. Walk in, push a few buttons on a PC screen, wait a few minutes, pay and leave. I have to do all that just for the lower anyway.

I dont have to worry about that so didn’t think if it but Jb weld and 30 seconds and the flash hider is a non issue.

• Like 1