Ticks

deerhunter1699

Deep woods off works well in the preseason set up. I just spray my boots and pants and it seems to be effective. During deer season my layers are tucked in so they cant get to my skin except my head and neck which my wife checks for me when I get home. As far as ticks getting on your clothes, I hang my clothes outside under cover most of the times I get back from a hunt. Ticks are attracted to body heat, so once the clothes get cold they fall off to go look for warmth. I hate ticks. Useless insect that contributes nothing beneficial to anything or anyone. I kill all the ticks I find, no mercy.

Worried - NO, Aware - Yes.  First off, very low percentage that the tick actually has Lyme disease to begin with.  Also, Lyme disease itself is a very difficult because many professionals do not accept the disease at all.  Whether you believe or not is irrelevant.  Keep an eye on it, if you feel its becoming a bulls-eye, kind of like the Target Logo then seek medical advice.  I think they'll prescribe an antibiotic for two weeks or so. 

Btw, I know a few processers that have been cutting for years.  They literally have ticks all over them all the time.  They're still processing and they're in the fifties plus.

Don't stress yourself too much!

In 8R near Waneta Lake i pull anywhere from 4-10 off me a night. Absolutely awful. Make sure if they bite to get the head out by drowning them in nail polish remover( i suppose peroxide would work aswell). Anyone have any idea how to get rid of them? Weve had this problem for years.

How to get rid of ticks.........2 blocks of wood and a lot of time........Just goofin around. I was told by a very knowledgeable woman that was involved in wild animal rehabilitation that the tick population is directly related to the field mouse population. The more field mice in an area, the more ticks you will find. There was a big group or coyote hunters in my area that killed 300+ yotes in one year. It may have been coincidence but the ticks went boom in numbers the following season. The coyote hunters have stopped hunting in my area and have moved on. This season through the spring, summer, and thus far I have counted about a dozen ticks on both my clothes and my clients clothing.  That includes all the food plot work and tree stand set up. There may be no hard evidence that the ticks relate to the field mouse, but in years when I get many coyotes cam pics and sightings, the ticks aren't as abundant. But years when coyotes, bob cat, red tail hawks, and owl sightings are very low we dig out and flick off way more ticks. Example, I was bitten and had to remove 20+/- ticks in one year about 6 years ago. This year, knock on wood, none that had bitten just crawling on me. Be aware and always check. If there is any question, get the antibiotics. Lyme disease is very real and very nasty.  

• Like 1

Ticks are out in cold weather as well.

I have had great results with the Sawyers mentioned above as well.

If you get one in you DO NOT touch with a lighter or match or alcohol or squeeze with tweezers all of these cause the tick to puke out which is how you can get contaminated. Use one of these they work great.

http://www.amazon.com/Ticked-Off-Pets-Remover-White/dp/B00008434T/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1416955037&sr=8-5&keywords=tick+removal+tool&pebp=1416955042498

• Like 1

In 8R near Waneta Lake i pull anywhere from 4-10 off me a night. Absolutely awful. Make sure if they bite to get the head out by drowning them in nail polish remover( i suppose peroxide would work aswell). Anyone have any idea how to get rid of them? Weve had this problem for years.

Nah, don't do this. The best thing to do is to use a tick removal tool, or loop some thread (fishing line works best) in a slipknot. Loop it over the tick and pull the two ends of the thread closed to tie tightly around the tick, as close to the head as possible. You want it tied between the head and adbomen. If you use this method and pull firmly but slowly, you can get the tick to pop out without any risk of it being able to regurgitate. When you put stuff like nail polish remover or alcohol or flaming spitwads on them, they often regurgitate when they back out, which spells higher risk for Lyme and other tick-borne diseases.

How to get rid of ticks.........2 blocks of wood and a lot of time........Just goofin around. I was told by a very knowledgeable woman that was involved in wild animal rehabilitation that the tick population is directly related to the field mouse population. The more field mice in an area, the more ticks you will find. There was a big group or coyote hunters in my area that killed 300+ yotes in one year. It may have been coincidence but the ticks went boom in numbers the following season. The coyote hunters have stopped hunting in my area and have moved on. This season through the spring, summer, and thus far I have counted about a dozen ticks on both my clothes and my clients clothing.  That includes all the food plot work and tree stand set up. There may be no hard evidence that the ticks relate to the field mouse, but in years when I get many coyotes cam pics and sightings, the ticks aren't as abundant. But years when coyotes, bob cat, red tail hawks, and owl sightings are very low we dig out and flick off way more ticks. Example, I was bitten and had to remove 20+/- ticks in one year about 6 years ago. This year, knock on wood, none that had bitten just crawling on me. Be aware and always check. If there is any question, get the antibiotics. Lyme disease is very real and very nasty.  

Based on my research this is very sound. They are tied to the field mouse population. In areas that have booming populations of field mice (due to many factors, including habitat, predation or lack thereof, food such as acorn mast, etc) you will general have a higher cycle of tick populations as well.

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 1

Commercial brand Permethrin is good but gets expensive. I get the 10% Permethrin animal dip online and mix it 19:1 with distilled water. Just as effective and a lot cheaper to use. The only difference is it has a slightly different odor. Been using it for several years without a single tick.

Had three in me in the last 4 years.. pull 'em, peroxide them, and keep an eye on them... no issues.. If you develop a ring around the bite area or any swelling or irritation see a doctor right away. Could just be infected, but needs to be treated. I've lost count of all the ticks I've had on clothing and walking on my hands over the years.

Edited by nyantler

Commercial brand Permethrin is good but gets expensive. I get the 10% Permethrin animal dip online and mix it 19:1 with distilled water. Just as effective and a lot cheaper to use. The only difference is it has a slightly different odor. Been using it for several years without a single tick.

This is the least expensive way to get very good protection. When using this method or any other permethrin product I do advise people to please use care; while wet/active, it can be very harmful to cats if you have a pet cat. And try to avoid overspray (if using a spray) in your yard or garden as it is very toxic to important wildlife such as our native bees, etc. This is less of an issue if you use it in the winter, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10%25-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B001EVKCKM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417195244&sr=8-2&keywords=permethrinJust dilute it and spray it on or soak clothing and then allow it to dry. 19:1 is a good ratio as stillhunter says. I advise using gloves and do not re-use spray bottles or buckets for anything else afterward (make them dedicated items).  It has worked very well for us. You'd want to do this somewhat in advance of using your clothing, though, as it takes a while to dry.

Edited by Jennifer