Suggested 777 charge for a Hornaday 300 gr sabot ?

fasteddie

I was researching Hornaday 300 gr XTP sabots and saw in one spot where it was recomended to use 150 grains of powder . Is this necessary ? Any suggestions ? I was loading 100 gr of 777 but wasn't getting tight groups .

The guy I bought the gun from said he was using 100 grains of powder and getting good groups It's a Traditions in-line

I use 150 grains 777 and 250 grain xtps. 100 grain would work if you get good groups. My T/C Triumph shoots good with 150 grain or 100 grain but notice a little more of a drop past 100 yrds with 100 grain so I go with 150 grains of 777. I really do not notice any difference in felt recoil between the two loads. Love the xtps though. Those things go off like a grenade inside the deer and if they arent DRT they dont go far. Might help to drop to a lighter bullet instead of lobbing pumkins to.

Edited by erussell

Agree with SteveB / Bubba... non-magnum XTP is what you want, atleast my thoughts as you won't reach speeds the Mag XTP was intended for .Lots of folks get better groups if you step up to the 300gr xtp's.That bullet has killed more deer then just about any bullet going.

Steve

Shooting loose grain 777 . I didn't care for the pellets . My NEF Huntsman shoots 240 grain real well but I wanted to shoot the 300 grain sabots in the Traditions . The heavier bullets really pack a whollop . Thanks for any replies .

With loose, you can easily experiement with it. As Bubba mentioned, sometimes a step back helps, I'd use 90 as a starting point and increment up as needed. Sometimes that is the real fun of shooting a MZ.

I did well with 240 gr. XTPs out of my CVA Wolf and 777 pellets, but after switching that gun over to Harvestors...I am NOT going back.

I would drop back to 80 grains of loose 777 and also try 120 grains..

You should see a trend .....Groups may shrink with a significant increase or decrease in powder charge..

If you see an improvement either way, you can fine tune it with 5 grain increments..

Good luck... BTW.. My old .50 TC Hawken shoots great groups with a 460 NE conical and 80 grains loose 777 and shoots plenty flat enough for shots out to about 125 yards..

• 2 weeks later...

Ive killed at least 25 deer with 300 grain (non Magnum) XTP's. All at ranges from 10 yards to 165 yards. I have recovered 2. All have been pass throughs with big blood trails. And deer that went down within 50 yards. All this with charges of real black powder, pyrodex or 777 in the 90 -110 grain range. 100 grains of 777 is plenty.